The Education Forum

Dr. George Bakeman, USN

Bill, even trivial mentions of George Wilbur Bakeman online are elusive; I've yet to discover an online obituary through any source. Still working on that angle.

In The Ghost In The Little House, a book by William Holtz about Rose Wilder Lane, Bakeman is mentioned, although is name is spelled B-A-K-E-M-E-N. In 1921, Rose Wilder Lane, daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder of the Little House series of books--and possibly the ghost writer of the series--was a publicist or the American Red Cross and was based in Paris. In Holtz's book, Lane wrote:

"The pink and chubby Kewpie with cocky smile and the bow of tulle about its middle has become a figure of tragedy in Vienna, according to George W. Bakemen of the Red Cross, who is in charge of that organization's relief work in Austria. The Kewpie, Mr. Bakemen says, has come to mean two things to Viennese women: American charity and their own broken pride..."

Not much, I'll agree, but still another piece to the puzzle that is George Wilbur Bakeman, observer at the JFK autopsy. This report, if factual, would establish Bakeman as being in charge of the American Red Cross relief efforts in Austria in 1921. A partial timeline is better than nothing, eh?

Mark, There's Arthur Griggs again.

http://books.google.com/books?id=inodj1jyR...esult#PPA111,M1

And then there's :

http://books.google.com/books?id=M88EAAAAY...4&ct=result

"...News has lately been received from Mr. George W. BHakeman of Course XI, who is still doing Red Cross work at Petrograd. He was recently offered the position of vice-counsul...." - The Boston Medical and Surgical Journal. 1917

Mark,

You know, I'm now leaning towards the possibilty that this guy is the Father of Dr. George W. Bakeman USN, present at the autopsy, as if he was in his 20s in 1917, he'd be in his 70s in 1963, like you said. Not impossible, but improbable.

BK

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, if there ever was a Dr. George W. Bakeman--even if he IS the son of this guy--he's the most INVISIBLE S.O.B. in history.

I mean, think about it, Bill: the sanitary engineer George W. Bakeman was in Montenegro in 1916, he was in St.Petersburg/Petrograd during the Russian revolution, he was in Paris with the American Red Cross and in charge of relief efforts in Vienna in 1921 [although the American Red Cross Museum website says that by 1920 almost all American volunteers were home], he was at the Medical College of Virginia in 1942 to recommend a future Nobel laureate, he was back in Europe in 1945 with relief efforts...and by 1956, he's back at MCV, but during June '56--the same time frame as the Polish uprising against the Soviet Union, and just a few months before the Hungarian revolt--he's coincidentally taking a vacation in Europe. Then in '63 he's witnessing the JFK autopsy.

Considering everything--the total lack of evidence that a younger DR. George W. Bakeman ever existed, and the fact that THIS George W. Bakeman--old though he may be--keeps turning up in important places, I'm beginning to believe we've found the real Forrest freakin' Gump.

Either he's Forrest Gump, or he's a real spook.

EDIT: About that Red Cross Mission to Petrograd:

Check THIS Out, Forrest Gump Fans

Edited by Mark Knight

Bill, if there ever was a Dr. George W. Bakeman--even if he IS the son of this guy--he's the most INVISIBLE S.O.B. in history.

I mean, think about it, Bill: the sanitary engineer George W. Bakeman was in Montenegro in 1916, he was in St.Petersburg/Petrograd during the Russian revolution, he was in Paris with the American Red Cross and in charge of relief efforts in Vienna in 1921 [although the American Red Cross Museum website says that by 1920 almost all American volunteers were home], he was at the Medical College of Virginia in 1942 to recommend a future Nobel laureate, he was back in Europe in 1945 with relief efforts...and by 1956, he's back at MCV, but during June '56--the same time frame as the Polish uprising against the Soviet Union, and just a few months before the Hungarian revolt--he's coincidentally taking a vacation in Europe. Then in '63 he's witnessing the JFK autopsy.

Considering everything--the total lack of evidence that a younger DR. George W. Bakeman ever existed, and the fact that THIS George W. Bakeman--old though he may be--keeps turning up in important places, I'm beginning to believe we've found the real Forrest freakin' Gump.

..or both : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest (popular culture section)

Mark,

If I recall the movie correctly, Forrest ended up having a son?

I have to agree with Bill on this. I think it's highly unlikely an adult who was over in Russia during the Revolution could, in 1980 still be working - ergo, it's his son, some other relative - or not related at all (though I think that last is highly unlikely).

FWIW, he was sent to Russia as a propagandist by the Committee on Public Information - a psuedo non-government organisation set up to get the US involved in WWI.

PCI

The famous "Uncle Sam Wants You" poster was the creation of the CPI

As were some of the best remembered slogans "War to End All Wars" etc.

His work in Europe for the American Sanitary Commission/Red Cross would have undoubtedly brought him in contact with the Rockefeller Foundation as it was carrying out similar work.

Just as the Sanitary Commission was predecessor of the Red Cross, it might be possible to argue that the PCI was an early version of OSS/CIA. It was certainly carrying out at least some of the same functions.

The question is, how far did Junior Acorn fall from Father Oak?

Mark,

If I recall the movie correctly, Forrest ended up having a son?

I have to agree with Bill on this. I think it's highly unlikely an adult who was over in Russia during the Revolution could, in 1980 still be working - ergo, it's his son, some other relative - or not related at all (though I think that last is highly unlikely).

FWIW, he was sent to Russia as a propagandist by the Committee on Public Information - a psuedo non-government organisation set up to get the US involved in WWI.

PCI

The famous "Uncle Sam Wants You" poster was the creation of the CPI

As were some of the best remembered slogans "War to End All Wars" etc.

His work in Europe for the American Sanitary Commission/Red Cross would have undoubtedly brought him in contact with the Rockefeller Foundation as it was carrying out similar work.

Just as the Sanitary Commission was predecessor of the Red Cross, it might be possible to argue that the PCI was an early version of OSS/CIA. It was certainly carrying out at least some of the same functions.

The question is, how far did Junior Acorn fall from Father Oak?

Greg, I'm apparently missing something here.

I've gone back through all the posts on this thread, and viewed all the links...and I can't find a solitary reference to 1980, or George W. Bakeman working in 1980. In fact, the chronologically latest reference to him actually existing, that I can find, is the 1963 JFK autopsy. If there is/was a son, and he is/was an M.D., he's led a very invisible life.

Or do you have access to other information that you haven't shared, that shows a Dr. George Bakeman working somewhere--anywhere??--in 1980? I just can't seem to find anything on anyone by that name after the JFK autopsy...father son, cousin, brother, whatever; I just haven't uncovered evidence of his existence after November 23, 1963.

The ONLY "Dr. Bakeman" I can find any references to from around 1980 forward is Dr. Roger Bakeman [Ph.D., Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, '73], who is apparently a prolific author of psychology texts, and who now works in the [surprise!] Psychology Department at Georgia State University.

Edited by Mark Knight

I believe that George W. and Mary D Bakeman had no sons. Their two daughters, Kathleen and Beryl, were born ~1920 and ~1924 respectively.

Joel

Thanks for posting that, Joel. I found there WAS a 1930 census record, but I was unable to pull it up for free.

Thanks for posting that, Joel. I found there WAS a 1930 census record, but I was unable to pull it up for free.

Yea, Joel,

Welcome to the fray.

But couldn't they have had a son later on, say born in 1931?

Now what's the Massachusetts connection?

And what became of the daughters?

Kathleen, born 1920 -

Beryl - born 1924 -

Bk - over an out.

Go Steelers!

Greg, I'm apparently missing something here.

I've gone back through all the posts on this thread, and viewed all the links...and I can't find a solitary reference to 1980, or George W. Bakeman working in 1980. In fact, the chronologically latest reference to him actually existing, that I can find, is the 1963 JFK autopsy. If there is/was a son, and he is/was an M.D., he's led a very invisible life.

Or do you have access to other information that you haven't shared, that shows a Dr. George Bakeman working somewhere--anywhere??--in 1980? I just can't seem to find anything on anyone by that name after the JFK autopsy...father son, cousin, brother, whatever; I just haven't uncovered evidence of his existence after November 23, 1963.

The ONLY "Dr. Bakeman" I can find any references to from around 1980 forward is Dr. Roger Bakeman [Ph.D., Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, '73], who is apparently a prolific author of psychology texts, and who now works in the [surprise!] Psychology Department at Georgia State University.

Mark,

my mistake. I misread a reference to 1980 in Bill's original post and thought I'd found confirmation in a 1980 Medical Directory. Reading the latter again, it actually mentions Bakeman in regard to the early '60s.

That said, and as interesting as old George was, I now believe he was never at the autopsy - nor was anyone using that name.

The ARRB seems to have cleared this up (at least to my satisfaction). Sibert, when interviewed, volunteered that he misspelled Adm. Buckley's name. He was next asked about Bakeman and could not recall him - then it was asked whether there was a confusion with "Buckley" or whether in fact, they were two separate people. Sibert replied that he didn't know.

But let's look at it.

Same first name.

Same surname initial

Buckley in the Navy - no indication Bakeman was

Buckley was a doctor - no indication Bakeman was.

ARRB testimony of Sibert

Don't know about you guys - by my Bakeman hunt is over.

It appears that George W. Bakeman's daughter Kathleen, a social worker born c. 1920, married Eric Wolf, born 1923 in Vienna, on September 24, 1943. Eric Wolf became an anthropologist and a college professor, moving from school to school until 1972, when he moved to New York. Apparently Wolf and Kathleen divorced in 1972--they had two sons--and Wolf remarried, this time to another anthropologist. Wolf died in 1999.

Still looking, but so far I haven't uncovered any records about daughter Beryl Bakeman, or any son(s).

And I'm not convinced that Sibert merely "substituted" Bakeman's name for Admiral Burkley. Remember Jack Webb's "Just the facts, Ma'am" ?? When dealing with the autopsy of the President of the United States, I would tend to believe that Sibert would try to make sure he kept the names of the witnesses straight...if not their titles.

And I'm not convinced that Sibert merely "substituted" Bakeman's name for Admiral Burkley. Remember Jack Webb's "Just the facts, Ma'am" ?? When dealing with the autopsy of the President of the United States, I would tend to believe that Sibert would try to make sure he kept the names of the witnesses straight...if not their titles.

Fair enough, Mark. I sure Sibert did try and get things right and I'm back on board should you fiind anything approaching verification that he in fact did get them right. In the meantime, I believe that the HSCA is off the hook for not finding the mystery man.

Fair enough, Mark. I sure Sibert did try and get things right and I'm back on board should you fiind anything approaching verification that he in fact did get them right. In the meantime, I believe that the HSCA is off the hook for not finding the mystery man.

I don't know Greg.

They have different middle initials, and there really is a George W. Bakeman.

I earlier speculated that Sibert and O'Neil didn't know everybody in the room by sight, and therefore had to rely on others, who were also in the room, and ostensibly knew the people by sight.

I would think an obit of G.W. Bakeman would help.

BK

I mean, think about it, Bill: the sanitary engineer George W. Bakeman was in Montenegro in 1916,...he was back in Europe in 1945 with relief efforts...

from: http://www.macjannet.org/files/publication...aster/book2.pdf

"The late George Bakeman, a long-time friend from St. Cloud, was in Paris, in charge of

American Aid to France. His office loaned MacJannet a car and chauffeur, to help him complete

the film. “Workmen were putting back the stained glass windows of Chartres Cathedral, and I

got moving pictures of that,”

American Aid to France was a relief organization, previously known as American Relief for France. It dispatched over $3,000,000 in relief to France from 1940 to 1946. It's records are in the NY Public Library, but for some reason, probably innocent, access is restricted.

But couldn't they have had a son later on, say born in 1931?

Now what's the Massachusetts connection?

And what became of the daughters?

Kathleen, born 1920 -

Beryl - born 1924 -

The Massachusetts connection is that GWB was born in Newton, MA on 17 May 1889. It's clear from his passport application that at age 30 he was doing a lot of traveling for the Red Cross.

side note GWB's wife, Mary Davidson Bakeman

b. 2 Dec 1895 Ekaterinburg Russia

d. 9 Dec 1994 McLean, VA

/jdg

Joel, it's apparent you have access to some records that I don't.

So...was this George Bakeman the gentleman who died in 1963, or was he the George Bakeman who died in 1978 at Hanover, VA ? I'm thinking the 1978 date would've made him 89 years old, and Hanover is just north of Richmond, home of the Medical College of Virginia, where he was an associate dean of the school of medicine.

Still haven't been able to pull up an obit from '78 from the Richmond area...you'd think it reasonable that, having been a dean of the medical school, there'd have been some sort of notice in the print media.

Then again, I haven't found a mention of ANY George Bakeman between 1963 and 1978 either.

Anyone had any luck finding an obituary for George W. Bakeman?

I've spent as much time as I could afford over the course of the past week, and the man remains as elusive in death as the reason for his presence at the JFK autopsy was in life. So lest anyone think I've given up, the fact is I've just had no results. And to the person who gave me the tip about his associations with certain others whose names pop up in the context of the Kennedy assassination and covert intelligence: you're absolutely right, I've discovered no paper trail whatsoever connecting Bakeman to these names.