The Education Forum

Zapruder Bell & Howell Camera

Hi Folks,

I'm moving in with my girlfriend at the moment. Yesterday I took a few boxes of books to her place, and - being a photographer - she noticed Pictures Of The Pain and flicked through it. She suddenly said "I think I've got one of those", then disappeared for a short while. I was intrigued when she returned a few minutes later with a hard, black case. She opened it and pulled out a movie camera equivalent to the model Zapruder used! She has a treasured collection of old camera equipment.

I'm not sure how rare they are, but I thought I'd share this story and offer to take any pictures of it if that's of any use to anyone. She also has the original manual.

In any case, I was very surprised. It was quite eerie holding it and looking through the viewfinder. I wasn't sure how to work it though. I flicked the switch to 'Automatic' and the wind handle span round until my finger got in the way :lol:

Paul.

Hi Folks,

I'm moving in with my girlfriend at the moment. Yesterday I took a few boxes of books to her place, and - being a photographer - she noticed Pictures Of The Pain and flicked through it. She suddenly said "I think I've got one of those", then disappeared for a short while. I was intrigued when she returned a few minutes later with a hard, black case. She opened it and pulled out a movie camera equivalent to the model Zapruder used! She has a treasured collection of old camera equipment.

I'm not sure how rare they are, but I thought I'd share this story and offer to take any pictures of it if that's of any use to anyone. She also has the original manual.

In any case, I was very surprised. It was quite eerie holding it and looking through the viewfinder. I wasn't sure how to work it though. I flicked the switch to 'Automatic' and the wind handle span round until my finger got in the way :)

Paul.

its common to find them on ebay for $35 bucks or so (USD), most certainly on the net for less -- most of them work, too. I'm sure Bill Miller has twenty (15 work and 5 still in the box),probablyd used none, maybe he'll sell ya one real cheap, $400/ or so :ice !

Edited by David G. Healy

Paul, hi, would love to have one, it would fascinate me greatly. One thing I would like to do is set the lens combo to what Z had, detach it from the camera.

After making a regular, fairly fine, caredfully measured with a minimum error margin, grid of black lines on white I would have the result projected onto a translucent screen set at the film location in relation to the lens (with everything carefully aligned perpendicular to the lens' z axis, and take a photo from behind this of how the regular grid is projected by the lens combo to study the lens combo characteristics.

Paul, hi, would love to have one, it would fascinate me greatly. One thing I would like to do is set the lens combo to what Z had, detach it from the camera.

After making a regular, fairly fine, caredfully measured with a minimum error margin, grid of black lines on white I would have the result projected onto a translucent screen set at the film location in relation to the lens (with everything carefully aligned perpendicular to the lens' z axis, and take a photo from behind this of how the regular grid is projected by the lens combo to study the lens combo characteristics.

A sufficiently skilled engineer could also place an appropriate CCD or CMOS sensor at the point where the film would have been.

This is very common. Just Google RETICLE. Lots of information.

Jack

A sufficiently skilled engineer could also place an appropriate CCD or CMOS sensor at the point where the film would have been.

yeah thats a great idea, maybe even a regular scanner could do as the recording medium. like line it all verticall on simple grips with the grid on the ceiling

yeah thats a great idea, maybe even a regular scanner could do as the recording medium. like line it all verticall on simple grips with the grid on the ceiling

where's Lampoon Lamson when you need him?

just a few thoughts that might make it simple

a level bedscanner with a stiff, with level top, box that blocks light to the scanner by standing on its edges.

a hole on this box that the lens combo sits firmly and plumb into

the grid perhaps hanging (or supported by struts from the floor) from the ceiling must be flat level and scaled

needed

the distance from scanners optical sensors to lens combo

the distance from the lens combo to the grid