The Education Forum

Aubrey Rike

Message from Beverly Oliver:

"To all of my President Kennedy Friends, Followers and Researchers, Our beloved Aubrey Rike passed away yesterday at 5:30 P.M. Another precious friend and man of history has now entered the Heavenly Portals and is sitting at the feet of Jesus. Praise the Lord he has his leg back and he has no more pain. Rest in Peace dear friend. You will be sorely missed. Peace and comfort to his sweet wife, Glenda."

I remember him at the NID 2008 in Dallas... What a wonderful person he was.

My best thoughts to his family!

SORRY TO READ THAT AUBREY HAS LEFT US, ANOTHER THAT WAS SO VALUED, I AM PLEASED THAT HE GOT HIS BOOK PUBLISHED THIS PAST YEAR I FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING WITH INFORMATION FROM HIM THAT I HAD NOT HAD ACCESS TO IN THE PAST...B THE PHOTO OF HIM BELOW IS FROM 1994..

Edited by Bernice Moore

THIS WAS A POST I PICKED UP AT THE TIME on the Lancer board as a reminder of the name of aubrey's book, it was by randy owen who had met him at the conference and expressed his thoughts on his book and the man, i think it is appropriate and thank mr.owen's for posting his recall at the time..i certainly hope this is acceptable by him and the adm, i would have asked him for his permission, no i do not have it but i also do not have his email address, i hope this will clarify all....b

Aubrey Rike: An Untold Story...Until Now"

Sat Nov-29-08 10:16 PMby Randy Owen

Aubrey Rike and the story of what he went through on November 22, 1963 is familiar to most researchers. Now, his story has been brilliantly told in the new book, “At the Door of Memory: A Witness to History and the Assassination of President Kennedy,” published by JFK Lancer. It made for fascinating reading on the flight back to Canada from Dallas for this year’s November in Dallas conference.

(There are some awkward sentences in parts of the book, and a few pages after the photo on page 126 are out of order. But it is still a very good book!)

Aubrey was kind enough to sit down with me for an interview on November 21, 2008. At times, it was very emotional, even after what may have been his 1,000th time telling his story and even after the passage of forty-five years. I could feel the emotion and nearly teared up a time or two. Thanks, Al, for sharing your experiences! He is a humble man and a master of understatement. At one point during our interview, he summed up his participation in the events of November 22: “It was quite a day.”

But there is a part of Rike’s story that, to my knowledge, has not been told…until now. It involves two other employees of O’Neal’s Funeral Home and Aubrey’s “regular ambulance assistant," Dennis “Peanuts” McGuire. I asked Aubrey if had known the guys who picked up Oswald. Rike told me:

“I would have been the one to pick up Oswald if I’d have been to work on time that morning. But my wife’s birthday is just, is the 26th or 27th. Anyway, we went to a birthday party that someone was having for her and I guess I drank too much or something. And I didn’t, I was supposed to go to work that next morning, the morning Oswald got shot. And I overslept, so I called Mike Hardin, asked him to stand by for me until I get over there. Mike and Peanuts, of course, he was already there—never late, and a dispatcher named Harold Wayne Wolfe, they were going to go eat breakfast. And as they was going to eat breakfast, they got the call of the shooting at city hall, I mean at the police station. Well, it was the city hall at that time. If I would have been to work on time, I would have been the one to pick up Oswald, too.”

Michael Hardin is briefly mentioned in Michael Benson’s book “Who’s Who in the JFK Assassination: An A-to-Z Encyclopedia” (1993, Citadel Press, pp.171-172) as a “Dallas City ambulance driver” who “drove the dying Oswald from the DPD station to Parkland.” Harold Wayne Wolfe is not listed in the book.

Hardin testified before the Warren Commission. Actually, his deposition was taken by WC assistant counsel Leon Hubert on March 31, 1964 in Dallas (WCH, Vol. 13, pp.94-99). He named Harold Wayne Wolfe as his “rider attendant.”

Hardin and Wolfe both died at the age of thirty-eight within six years of each other. A few years ago, I did an online search of Texas Death Records and found that Michael Norfleet Hardin died on March 20, 1979 and Harold Wayne Wolfe died February 12, 1973.

Aubrey told me, “Wayne committed suicide. Mike was thirty-eight. He had a heart attack and looked like a picture of health, really. But he loved that fried chicken.”

Randy

Edited by Bernice Moore

I would like to express my personal condolences at the passing of Aubrey Rike. Sometimes very ordinary people play an extraordinary role in history, and that is true in Aubrey’s case.

No one knows that more than Aubrey’s lovely wife Glenda, to whom I also address this message.

Aubrey bore witness to some very important facts, and did history a great service by speaking the truth, and then never changing his story.

I first interviewed Aubrey---by telephone—in March, 1980. From that very first telephone interview, I could sense the kind of straightforward, honest, level-headed fellow he was. Then, because of what he said during our telephone interview, I met him in October, 1980, for an on-camera interview, just a few months prior to the publication of BEST EVIDENCE. And on that footage, recorded for the first time, was Aubrey delivering a very emotional account of what it was like to place President Kennedy’s body into the Dallas coffin.

Aubrey Rike was a major lynchpin for presenting my research—to the public—that President Kennedy left Dallas wrapped in sheets, and inside a ceremonial coffin, yet arrived at Bethesda Naval Hospital in a body bag, inside a shipping casket.

What I admired most about Aubrey Rike was that he was honest, candid, had a wonderful impish sense of humor, and—most important to me as an investigator and historian—that he did not change his story.

We humans have fallible memories. I loved the fact that Aubrey never embellished. His recollections were like the Rock of Gibraltar.

I ran into Aubrey in the years following the assassination a number of times—and he never changed. He was always willing to explain to future generations what he had seen and done that day. And his basic clear headed honesty always shone through.

Clear, the Muse of history, would be proud.

May his soul rest in peace.

David S. Lifton

4/23/10

Los Angeles,

California

RIP Aubrey

I first read about Aubrey in David's masterpiece "Best Evidence"

But what really made me a fan of and a believer in Aubrey was his apperance in TMWKK

I believed every word of Aubrey's story after seeing him talk about the events he was involved in the November 1963

It made me believe that much more in David Lifton's book

Edited by Dean Hagerman

Another message frpm Beverly Oliver:

"Aubrey Rike, gentleman extrodainaire and a wonderful part of history, passed away. His services will be Thursday at 2:00 P.M., in McKinney, Texas at Turrentine/Jackson Funeral Home with interrment at Sparkman Hillcrest. Please keep Glenda and the rest of their loved ones in your prayers. All of us will have an Arbrey ...shaped hole in our hearts. Rest in Peace sweet Friend."