The Education Forum

Jean-Pierre Lafitte

20 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Well, ain't this thread precious, for multiple comments.  Here is the 1953 mug shot pf Pierre Leslie was having trouble re posting.  Another disguise, he was reputedly a master of.  With very short dark hair?   

I'm so glad you were able to re-post this. Do you think you could carry it over to your own active thread focused on Lafitte?

It prompted me to review a remark Hank included .... that the photo appears to have been altered.

endnote, CiD. . . . The one publicly available photo [prior to 1969]  of Pierre Lafitte appeared in a 1955 syndicated newspaper article written by well-known journalist Bob Considine. The Considine article was circulated widely, and its prominence at the time may have exempted it from Helm’s directive. Instead, per the author’s recollection of having seen family photos of Lafitte taken around this time period, the photo appears to have been altered.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

19 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Frewin's quote is incomplete.  In A Terrible Mistake Albarelli says Phelan, Laffite and Maheu literally crawled into Garrison's office to steal files, from recent reading.  I'll look for page numbers, end notes tomorrow. 

This is incorrect, I mis-read it.  It was Allan Hughes, Laffite and Phelan.

49 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I'm so glad you were able to re-post this. Do you think you could carry it over to your own active thread focused on Lafitte?

It prompted me to review a remark Hank included .... that the photo appears to have been altered.

endnote, CiD. . . . The one publicly available photo [prior to 1969]  of Pierre Lafitte appeared in a 1955 syndicated newspaper article written by well-known journalist Bob Considine. The Considine article was circulated widely, and its prominence at the time may have exempted it from Helm’s directive. Instead, per the author’s recollection of having seen family photos of Lafitte taken around this time period, the photo appears to have been altered.

I didn't re post it, I just commented on the year old post which bumped it.   I'm pretty technologically inept as AI makes me even more so, but I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the clarification regarding Hank's remarks.  BTW, the 1955 article is about his being busted during the FBI case regarding the painting theft (he was working for the FBI) in the early 1950's.  The mug shot shows LA 10 30 48.  I'm trying to remember any reference to Pierre being busted in Los Angeles or Louisiana in 1948.  I'd like to clarify something else here before trying that.    

On 1/6/2018 at 2:49 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Is Frewin saying that Phelan and Lafitte burgled Garrison's office to take files on Shaw?  

The construction of the sentence is weird.

Yes, along with CIA electronics expert Allan Hughes, I was mistaken about Maheu's direct involvement.  From page 663 of A Terrible Mistake.

'Laffite and Allan Hughes collaborated on another occasion in a very bizarre and revealing episode having to do with accused JFK co-conspirator Clay Shaw.  As readers will learn, Hughes, Laffite and investigative writer James Phelan - who some maintain was in league with Maheu and the CIA - literally crawled into New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison's office to purloin documents having to do with Clay Shaw.  Laffite would later tell George Hunter White that the Garrison office break-in was "maybe one of the only jobs I ever did that made me worry any at all."