The Education Forum

Secret Service Agent John Ready

I am sorry to raise an issue that I know has been discussed by forum members, but I can't, for the life of me, find the earlier thread. I am in the middle of a project and I could do with the answer to three points.

1. Do we know what height John Ready was?

2. Does anyone know the dimensions of the "Queen Mary": the SS follow car.

3. Does anyone know the height of the runner board above the road.

I know these issues have been addressed, but I am sorry I can't find the thread.

Thanks.

James Gordon

I am sorry to raise an issue that I know has been discussed by forum members, but I can't, for the life of me, find the earlier thread. I am in the middle of a project and I could do with the answer to three points.

1. Do we know what height John Ready was?

2. Does anyone know the dimensions of the "Queen Mary": the SS follow car.

3. Does anyone know the height of the runner board above the road.

I know these issues have been addressed, but I am sorry I can't find the thread.

Thanks.

James Gordon

I don't know the answers to your questions but this is from Ready's statement;

"At about 12:30 pm we began the approach to the Thornton Freeway traveling about 20-25 MPH in a slight incline. I was about 25-30 feet from President Kennedy who was located in the right rear seat. I heard what appeared to be fire crackers going off from my position. I immediately turned to my right rear trying to locate the source but was not able to determine the exact location.

At this time the US Secret Service follow-up car seemed to slow and I heard someone from inside this car say: "he's shot." I left the follow-up car in the direction of the President's car but was recalled by ATSAIC Emory Roberts (Secret Service) as the cars increased their speeds. I got back on the car and seated myself beside Mr. Roberts in the right front seat. The cars proceeded to the hospital several miles distance."

Why in the world would Ready have been called back if it was acknowledged that the President of the United States was SHOT!

Edited by Peter McGuire

They drifted ( which perhaps should not have happened given the supposed intense training in handling this extremely powerful machine. perhaps iow the driver wasn't driving.)

If no other way keeping in mind the inverse square law and perspective in general albeit distorted by a lens, pretty exact measurements should be derivable imo.

YOU COULD PERHAPS CONTACT THE OWNER OF THE QUEEN, AT THE MUSEUM, HE MAY BE ABLE TO ANSWER ANY OF YOUR VEHICLE QUESTIONS, NO IDEA HOW TALL READY WAS, PERHAPS CONTACTING VINCE PALAMARA MAY GIVE YOU THE ANSWER, HE IS THE UNO NUMERO ON THE SS FELLAS...B

NOW WE KNOW WHERE THE QUEEN MARY THE SS FOLLOW UP CAR WENT.THE SAME PLACE AS THE TAXI CAB.TO THE ROSCOE MUSEUM, Roscoe Museum Buys Kennedy Shooter's Cab

Roscoe's historic auto museum is adding on to its already impressive display of President John F. Kennedy memorabilia.

In an auction over the weekend, the museum won the checkered cab used as a getaway car by Lee Harvey Oswald after Kennedy's assasination. Bidders all the way from Switzerland were interested in this timeless vehicle. The cab sold for nearly $36,000 and will be placed next to other vehicles from the same unforgettable day.

"This just kind of adds to, because we have the ambulance that I'm standing next to right now that they carried Oswald to the hospital when he got shot, we have the actually secret service car that was right behind Kennedy's the day he got assassinated."

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/95903679.html?ref=679

"I was about 25-30 feet from President Kennedy who was located in the right rear seat."

They look bumper to bumper to me.

I realize that we can only see Hill here. There is an even better picture which shows the full compliment of Queen Mary-right on top of Kennedy's limousine as well. Where they should be! But 25 to 30 feet? I don't think so.

post-5012-082082400 1279478134_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peter McGuire

I realize that we can only see Hill here. There is an even better picture which shows the full compliment of Queen Mary-right on top of Kennedy's limousine as well. Where they should be! But 25 to 30 feet? I don't think so.

Peter,

You are right. Muchmore and Nix show them around a 5 foot difference in distance at Z 312......Maybe even less.

I have yet to measure the distance between them.

James

Edited by James R Gordon

• 4 months later...

Peter,

You are right. Muchmore and Nix show them around a 5 foot difference in distance at Z 312......Maybe even less.

James

Right on top of the Limousine.

Five feet. How could no one get there in 5 seconds?

Peter,

James

in the new book they also come out with the 25feet, saying that it would give them room to make any diversionary moves that may be necessary, also mentions that those same diversionary movements, pulling out of line, etc was to be made by the driver of the xp 100, if anything unwarranted took place in a motorcade, i believe on page 27 or thereabouts, words to that effect, which means neither driver did as they had been trained to do.. they certainly were not 25 feet behind... below they are on houston about to turn onto elm street...b

Edited by Bernice Moore

Peter,

James

in the new book they also come out with the 25feet, saying that it would give them room to make any diversionary moves that may be necessary, also mentions that those same diversionary movements, pulling out of line, etc was to be made by the driver of the xp 100, if anything unwarranted took place in a motorcade, i believe on page 27 or thereabouts, words to that effect, which means neither driver did as they had been trained to do.. they certainly were not 25 feet behind... below they are on houston about to turn onto elm street...b

Ready / JFK

Film frame from the DCA Film.

Credit: John Woods

dca_2.jpg

Peter,

James

Ready / JFK

Film frame from the DCA Film.

Credit: John Woods

A few more frames i grabbed from the DCA Film showing the Ready / JFK alighnment.

11371.jpg

11370.jpg

Thanks Robin, those are excellent images and a great help.

Looking at Muchmore and Nix, I have a feeling that by Z 312, the Queen Might have been even closer.

Again thanks for the images.

James

Your welcome James.

I seem to remember Don Roberdeau working on the same thing about a year ago,that was the reason why i had the DCA frames showing the ready kennedy alighnment already saved in my files.

Edited by Robin Unger

Thanks Robin, those are excellent images and a great help.

Looking at Muchmore and Nix, I have a feeling that by Z 312, the Queen Might have been even closer.

Again thanks for the images.

James

Your welcome James.

I seem to remember Don Roberdeau working on the same thing about a year ago,that was the reason why i had the DCA frames showing the ready kennedy alighnment already saved in my files.

thank you robin well done, and pass along the thanks to johnny.:D .also.b

Edited by Bernice Moore