The Education Forum

Oswald's Russian Radio

Jim Root

Jim, on the slim chance you've missed this or more likely, you've already discounted it, or it has slipped your mind, AJ Weberman believed Angleton ran Oswald in an "off the books" Op...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z_BnQp0AB2sJ:www.ajweberman.com/nodules/nodule4.htm+weberman+angleton+golub&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

...ANGLETON did this on his own, with no approval from DCI Allen Dulles. In the midst of a series of military and civilian defections (The New York Times reported four defections prior to October 1959) evidence suggested ANGLETON instructed OSWALD to travel to the USSR via Helsinki and then to request Soviet citizenship. OSWALD was instructed that he was not to tell anyone, even his mother and brother, about this mission, since their reaction would be part of OSWALD'S cover.

OSWALD: SEPTEMBER 1959

OSWALD'S hardship discharge was granted in early September 1959, and he returned to Fort Worth to help his allegedly disabled mother. Marguerite Oswald reported that he gave her $100 and told her he was about to board a boat since he was working for an import/export company. OSWALD remained in Fort Worth two days, then left for New Orleans. On September 20, 1959, OSWALD boarded a Lykes Line cargo ship in New Orleans due to arrive in Le Havre, France, on October 8, 1959. Before sailing, he wrote to his mother that he had booked passage for Europe, adding: "Just remember above everything else that my values are very different from Robert or yours. I did not tell you about my plans because you could hardly be expected to understand." From Le Havre he took a ferry to Southampton. He arrived there on October 9, 1959. According to official British travel records he claimed he had no fixed address but planned to remain in the UK one week for vacation, before going on to "some school in Swisse." The Warren Report stated that on that same day, October 9, 1960, OSWALD traveled to London where he took an undetermined flight to Helsinki, Finland. [WR p690] Another section of the Warren Report had him arriving on Saturday, October 10, 1959. [WR p258]

OSWALD IN HELSINKI: OCTOBER 1959

On Saturday, October 10, 1959, OSWALD flew to Helsinki, Finland. ANGLETON controlled the CIA Station there. OSWALD registered at the Hotel Torni around midnight. The Warren Commission determined that the only direct flight from London to Helsinki on Saturday October 10, 1959, was on Finn Air 852 and it arrived at 11:33 p.m. - too late for OSWALD to have time to pass through Customs and other airport travel formalities and register in the hotel by midnight. [CIA 758-325, 768-337, 748-321] Could OSWALD have gotten through Customs, then hired a cab to take him to the hotel, in 20 minutes? In July 1964 the CIA discovered a flight which left London at 7:05 p.m. arriving at Stockholm at 1:30 a.m. then changing planes to SK 734 leaving Stockholm 3:15 a.m. arriving Helsinki 5:35 p.m. This investigation was conducted by Raymond Rocca and ANGLETON Deputy William Hood, Chief/Soviet Research/CI. [CIA 995-928; NARA 1993.06.19.11:19:56:370000] OSWALD did not arrive in Helsinki at 11:33 p.m. He arrived on an earlier flight at 5:35 p.m. This did not explain why OSWALD waited until midnight before registering at the hotel. The reason was because OSWALD was briefed on his mission at a safe location as soon after he arrived in Helsinki. The HSCA: "The Committee was unable to determine the circumstances surrounding OSWALD'S trip from London to Helsinki." [HSCA R p211]

OSWALD'S SOVIET VISA...

Tom

A lot of what I have gathered about Angleton and so many others is that if you take them at face value it can lead you further toward a tightly wound conspiracy involving others rather than a conspiracy involving them. That is not to suggest that they did not understand what had happened after the Kennedy assassination and were not involved in a cover up, but rather the dilemma they must have been in after the fact. Anybody that could be associated with Oswald could be associated with the assassination. Therefore, if I might be so bold as to suggest, self survival and their actual pledge of secrecy would be conviently used by the actual conspirators to ensure that certain aspects of Oswald's life would be concealed for reasons of "national security" and would enable the conspirators to remain unidentified.

Angelton's interview with Epstein (the Orchid Man) is, I believe as close as Angelton could come to letting people know the truth. It fits very well with Oswald's own "patsy" statement. More importantly what I here suggests is that the conspirators had to be at the absolute top of the intelligence heap to understand exactly how the complexities of the organizations would respond......who better than the man who designed the whole apparatus....John J. mcCloy.

Jim Root