The Education Forum

Col. Frank M. Brandstetter

Bill. Just a silly question, did you ever read the book Our Man in Havana? I bought it, had it shipped to me overseas and fell asleep trying to read it.

Catchy title though.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0140184937

Yes, Peter, Graham Greene's classic was made into a neat movie that was filmed on location in Havana shortly before

Castro came to power, so it captures the feeling of the city at the time.

It concerns an English shopkeeper (Alic Guinnes?) who is recruited to work for British Intelligence (MI6), but when he fails to develop any good

information, he sends them the drawings of a vacume cleaner that is mistaken for some sort of important device decoder or weapon.

Even when he comes clean and admits what he did, they recall him to London, but can't acknowledge they were so fooled, and

give him a medal and place him in charge of training new agents.

It's a fine farce, played deadpan straight like Dr. Strangelove.

Col. Brandy's book reads very similar, especially in how he deals with the rebels - giving them Conrad Hilton's suite as a Command Post.

That reminded me of how David Phillips delt with the rebel students who took over the Swan Island radio station. He broke out some beer and

they had a party and forgot about the radio station.

BK

Colonel Wilmeth was associated years earlier with OFLAG-64

http://darbysrangers...od.com/id65.htm

Two published works contain extensive accounts of the evacuation marches from Oflag 64, both to the east with the Soviets and to the west with the Germans: Howard Randolph Holder, Escape to Russia (Athens, Georgia: Iberian Publishing Company, 1994), and Clarence R. Meltesen, Roads To Liberation From Oflag 64 (San Francisco: Oflag 64 Press, 1990). Albert Kadler, Report on Stalag III-A, 15 February 1945, enclosure to Gepp to Barker, 22 March 1945, SHAEF G-1 Decimal File, "383.6," box 25, entry 6, RG 331, NA. MajGen Ray W. Barker to Chief of Staff, 17 February 1945, SHAEF G-1 Decimal File, "383.6," box 25, entry 6, RG 331, NA; and SHAEF G-1 to 12th Army Group, 6th Army Group, and COMZ, 21 April 1945, Message S-85780; British Military Attache' Berne to SHAEF G-1, 26 April 1945, Message MAS 0/807, SHAEF SGS Decimal File, "383.6," box 87, entry 1, RG 331, NA. Lt. Col. James D. Wilmeth, "Report on a Visit to Lublin, Poland, 27 February - 28 March

also

http://www.scribd.co...I-Working-Group

www.usmccca.org/pdfs/hm_chevron.pdf

Also related?

http://www.therestor...om/wilmeth2.htm

So you have this group of people.....

Colonel Orlov [friend of DeMohernschildt]

Colonel Dudley Wilmeth

Colonel Howard Burris

Colonel Samuel G. Kail

Paul Bethel - Citizens Committee for a Free Cuba

James Daniel - Executive Director - Citizens Committee for a Free Cuba [CD 49]

Col Brandstetter "Brandy" honorary member Association of Former Intelligence Officers

David Atlee Phillips

Otto Otepka - Office of Security [was linked to Security File on Lee Oswald, allegedly did not get to read it?]

more.....

Found in: HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm - reel 53: Hemming - Lorenz)

Reel 53, Folder C - SAMUEL G. KAIL

RIF#: 1994.04.22.15:51:32:040005 (4/4/1961) CIA#: 80T01357A

14 April 1961

Chief/WH4/FI

Chief Contact Division (Support)

Military reports from Samuel G. Kail former Military attache to Cuba

Attached are two reports

Shirley Stetson

E. M. Ashcraft

http://www.maryferre....do?docId=55466

more......

BISHOP suggested to Antonio Veciana in 1960 that he go to the Embassy and contact a Mr. Smith and Sam Kail. Said Veciana: "MAURICE BISHOP suggested the names of these individuals because we needed specific weapons to carry out the jobs, and he told me that these were the people who could help me."Antonio Veciana was asked not to reveal BISHOP'S name to them. The HSCA ascertained that in 1960 there was a Colonel Samuel G. Kail at the American Embassy, Havana. The HSCA located Sam Kail, retired, and interviewed him in Dallas. Sam Kail, born June 7, 1915, was a West Point graduate who served as the Army Military Attache from June 3, 1958, until the day the American Embassy, Havana, closed on January 4, 1961. His primary mission as a Military Attache had been intelligence. Sam Kail assumed his unit was functioning for the CIA. He told the HSCA: "I suspect they pay our bills." In January 1963 he received the CIA's Legion of Merit Award. Kail said that prior to the American Embassy closing in Havana, there was a constant stream of Cubans coming through his office with anti-Castro schemes, including assassination plans, asking for American assistance in the form of weapons or guarantees of escaping. Kail stated: "We had hoards and hoards of people through there all the time." For that reason, he said, he did not specifically remember Veciana visiting him. "I think it would be a miracle if I could recall him," he said, but does not discount the possibility that he did meet him. Kail said, however, agents of the CIA would frequently use the names of other Embassy staff personnel in their outside contacts without notifying the staff individual it was being done. It happened a number of times he said that a Cuban would come in and ask to see Colonel Kail and when introduced to him, tell him that he was not the Colonel Kail he had met outside the Embassy. Kail said he would then have the Cuban point out the CIA agent who had used his name. Kail said he was not familiar with MAURICE BISHOP."

Gaeton Fonzi believed that "Mr. Smith"might have been Wayne Smith, the third secretary at the American Embassy in Havana at the time Veciana claimed he met him there. Smith was a personal friend of PHILLIPS.

DELORES CAO: WITNESS TO VECIANA/BISHOP ASSOCIATION

Veciana told the HSCA that he had no way of getting in touch with BISHOP and that all meetings were instigated by BISHOP, a procedure BISHOP established early in their relationship. To set up a meeting, BISHOP would call Veciana by telephone, or, if Veciana was out of town, call a third person whom Veciana trusted, someone who always knew his location. Veciana said that this third person never met BISHOP but, "knew that BISHOP and I were partners in this fight because this person shared my anti-Communist feelings." Author Tony Summers found this intermediary. Her name was Delores Cao of Barrio Obrero, Puerto Rico. She was the wife of Sergio Arias. She had been Veciana's personal secretary at the Banco Financiero, where Veciana worked in Havana. Delores Cao left Cuba for Puerto Rico, where she became involved in anti-Castro activities. Veciana had recontacted her in Puerto Rico, and asked her to provide secretarial services, and to act as his answering service when he was out of town. She agreed, and in the months that followed she became familiar with the name of a man who called from the mainland. His name, she recalled, was BISHOP. Delores Cao also knew Victor Espinosa. Delores Cao mentioned that the name "Prewett" was associated with "MAURICE BISHOP." Journalist Virginia Prewett (died April 1988 at age 66) was a media asset of PHILLIPS. PHILLIPS admitted this to David Leigh. (In his offensive against Tony Summer's book, PHILLIPS had approached the Washington Post's Executive Editor, Ben Bradlee. Bradlee assigned David Leigh, an English exchange reporter, to look into the story). Virginia Prewett's columns were syndicated by North American Newspaper Alliance and she was a member of the Free Cuba Committee. [Fonzi, Last Inv. p319; HSCA OCR

Remember Jack Ruby's correction of Henry Wade?

I think it is a pretty safe bet that the D.A. Phillips - Maurice Bishop area, is the least mysterious for people on this Forum....

And I suppose it is no shock that once you wade through all of this the AFIO membership roster becomes even more interesting than it did before, which is really saying something. But what do I know.......lol

And I am sure I will regret doing this but.....here's a quote that's thought provoking.....

"I think it started in the wind. Money, arms, big-oil, Pentagon people, contractors, bankers, politicians like L.B.J. were committed to a war in Southeast Asia. As early as 61' they knew Kennedy was going to change things.....He was not going to war in Southeast Asia......Probably some boardroom or lunchroom somewhere-- Houston, New York-- hell, maybe Bonn, Germany

Money is at stake. Big money. A hundred billion. The Kennedy brothers target voting districts for defense contracts. They give TFX fighter contracts only to the districts that are going to make a difference in 64'. These people fight back....'

There is also an interesting Dallas news article from July 25, 1965

entitled

Muscle, Readiness Shown by 49th Armored Division; by Eddie S Hughes

[North Fort Hood, Texas]

It was a proud 49th Armored Division that flexed its muscle of armor

Saturday in the face of another world crisis. A National Guard outfit

which proved itself during the Berlin crisis four years ago, the 49th

paraded its awesome armored might during the divisions annual

mounted review......

The divisions 149th Aviation Battalion, based in Grand Prairie, and commanded

by Lt. Col. Norman Wilmeth, received the Gen. Clayton B. Kerr award as the

outstanding battalion. The award is named after a former 49th Division commander

who still lives in Dallas and was present for the review.

Thanks for that one Robert,

I think I might have to start a file on just Colonels, just to keep track of them.

BK

Bill. Just a silly question, did you ever read the book Our Man in Havana? I bought it, had it shipped to me overseas and fell asleep trying to read it.

Catchy title though.

Yes, Peter, Graham Greene's classic was made into a neat movie that was filmed on location in Havana shortly before

It concerns an English shopkeeper (Alic Guinnes?) who is recruited to work for British Intelligence (MI6), but when he fails to develop any good

information, he sends them the drawings of a vacume cleaner that is mistaken for some sort of important device decoder or weapon.

Even when he comes clean and admits what he did, they recall him to London, but can't acknowledge they were so fooled, and

Col. Brandy's book reads very similar, especially in how he deals with the rebels - giving them Conrad Hilton's suite as a Command Post.

That reminded me of how David Phillips delt with the rebel students who took over the Swan Island radio station. He broke out some beer and

BK

Two published works contain extensive accounts of the evacuation marches from Oflag 64, both to the east with the Soviets and to the west with the Germans: Howard Randolph Holder, Escape to Russia (Athens, Georgia: Iberian Publishing Company, 1994), and Clarence R. Meltesen, Roads To Liberation From Oflag 64 (San Francisco: Oflag 64 Press, 1990). Albert Kadler, Report on Stalag III-A, 15 February 1945, enclosure to Gepp to Barker, 22 March 1945, SHAEF G-1 Decimal File, "383.6," box 25, entry 6, RG 331, NA. MajGen Ray W. Barker to Chief of Staff, 17 February 1945, SHAEF G-1 Decimal File, "383.6," box 25, entry 6, RG 331, NA; and SHAEF G-1 to 12th Army Group, 6th Army Group, and COMZ, 21 April 1945, Message S-85780; British Military Attache' Berne to SHAEF G-1, 26 April 1945, Message MAS 0/807, SHAEF SGS Decimal File, "383.6," box 87, entry 1, RG 331, NA. Lt. Col. James D. Wilmeth, "Report on a Visit to Lublin, Poland, 27 February - 28 March

also

Also related?

Colonel Dudley Wilmeth

Colonel Howard Burris

Colonel Samuel G. Kail

Col Brandstetter "Brandy" honorary member Association of Former Intelligence Officers

David Atlee Phillips

Otto Otepka - Office of Security [was linked to Security File on Lee Oswald, allegedly did not get to read it?]

more.....

Found in: HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm - reel 53: Hemming - Lorenz)

14 April 1961

Chief/WH4/FI

Attached are two reports

Shirley Stetson

E. M. Ashcraft

more......

BISHOP suggested to Antonio Veciana in 1960 that he go to the Embassy and contact a Mr. Smith and Sam Kail. Said Veciana: "MAURICE BISHOP suggested the names of these individuals because we needed specific weapons to carry out the jobs, and he told me that these were the people who could help me."Antonio Veciana was asked not to reveal BISHOP'S name to them. The HSCA ascertained that in 1960 there was a Colonel Samuel G. Kail at the American Embassy, Havana. The HSCA located Sam Kail, retired, and interviewed him in Dallas. Sam Kail, born June 7, 1915, was a West Point graduate who served as the Army Military Attache from June 3, 1958, until the day the American Embassy, Havana, closed on January 4, 1961. His primary mission as a Military Attache had been intelligence. Sam Kail assumed his unit was functioning for the CIA. He told the HSCA: "I suspect they pay our bills." In January 1963 he received the CIA's Legion of Merit Award. Kail said that prior to the American Embassy closing in Havana, there was a constant stream of Cubans coming through his office with anti-Castro schemes, including assassination plans, asking for American assistance in the form of weapons or guarantees of escaping. Kail stated: "We had hoards and hoards of people through there all the time." For that reason, he said, he did not specifically remember Veciana visiting him. "I think it would be a miracle if I could recall him," he said, but does not discount the possibility that he did meet him. Kail said, however, agents of the CIA would frequently use the names of other Embassy staff personnel in their outside contacts without notifying the staff individual it was being done. It happened a number of times he said that a Cuban would come in and ask to see Colonel Kail and when introduced to him, tell him that he was not the Colonel Kail he had met outside the Embassy. Kail said he would then have the Cuban point out the CIA agent who had used his name. Kail said he was not familiar with MAURICE BISHOP."

Gaeton Fonzi believed that "Mr. Smith"might have been Wayne Smith, the third secretary at the American Embassy in Havana at the time Veciana claimed he met him there. Smith was a personal friend of PHILLIPS.

Veciana told the HSCA that he had no way of getting in touch with BISHOP and that all meetings were instigated by BISHOP, a procedure BISHOP established early in their relationship. To set up a meeting, BISHOP would call Veciana by telephone, or, if Veciana was out of town, call a third person whom Veciana trusted, someone who always knew his location. Veciana said that this third person never met BISHOP but, "knew that BISHOP and I were partners in this fight because this person shared my anti-Communist feelings." Author Tony Summers found this intermediary. Her name was Delores Cao of Barrio Obrero, Puerto Rico. She was the wife of Sergio Arias. She had been Veciana's personal secretary at the Banco Financiero, where Veciana worked in Havana. Delores Cao left Cuba for Puerto Rico, where she became involved in anti-Castro activities. Veciana had recontacted her in Puerto Rico, and asked her to provide secretarial services, and to act as his answering service when he was out of town. She agreed, and in the months that followed she became familiar with the name of a man who called from the mainland. His name, she recalled, was BISHOP. Delores Cao also knew Victor Espinosa. Delores Cao mentioned that the name "Prewett" was associated with "MAURICE BISHOP." Journalist Virginia Prewett (died April 1988 at age 66) was a media asset of PHILLIPS. PHILLIPS admitted this to David Leigh. (In his offensive against Tony Summer's book, PHILLIPS had approached the Washington Post's Executive Editor, Ben Bradlee. Bradlee assigned David Leigh, an English exchange reporter, to look into the story). Virginia Prewett's columns were syndicated by North American Newspaper Alliance and she was a member of the Free Cuba Committee. [Fonzi, Last Inv. p319; HSCA OCR

I think it is a pretty safe bet that the D.A. Phillips - Maurice Bishop area, is the least mysterious for people on this Forum....

And I suppose it is no shock that once you wade through all of this the AFIO membership roster becomes even more interesting than it did before, which is really saying something. But what do I know.......lol

And I am sure I will regret doing this but.....here's a quote that's thought provoking.....

"I think it started in the wind. Money, arms, big-oil, Pentagon people, contractors, bankers, politicians like L.B.J. were committed to a war in Southeast Asia. As early as 61' they knew Kennedy was going to change things.....He was not going to war in Southeast Asia......Probably some boardroom or lunchroom somewhere-- Houston, New York-- hell, maybe Bonn, Germany

Money is at stake. Big money. A hundred billion. The Kennedy brothers target voting districts for defense contracts. They give TFX fighter contracts only to the districts that are going to make a difference in 64'. These people fight back....'

entitled

[North Fort Hood, Texas]

mounted review......

outstanding battalion. The award is named after a former 49th Division commander

Thanks for that one Robert,

I think I might have to start a file on just Colonels, just to keep track of them.

BK

Although it is obviously a different Frank Brandstetter's obituary, here is a Frank Brandstetter buried at Fort Sam Houston, in San Antonio

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Brandstetter&GSfn=Frank&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=402340&df=all&

Wonder what relation, if any.

BTW, here is a good URL for these types of things

http://www.gravelocator.cem.va.gov/

http://jfkcountercoup.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/603/

Notes on Manuel Ray Rivero

http://www.historyof...a/ManuelRay.htm

In 1947, at the age of 23, Manuel Ray Rivero received a scholarship from the Cuban Ministry of Public Works to study civil engineering at the University of Utah. He returned to Cuba in 1949 to work in the field of engineering, and later became project manager for the construction of the Havana Hilton Hotel.

Instead of simply accepting his good fortune and success, Ray joined the effort to oust Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista. He organized the Civic Resistance Movement in 1957, overseeing sabotage and acts of urban violence against the government.

In February of 1959, just over a month after Batista's infamous middle-of-the-night departure, the new rebel government appointed Manuel Ray to the position of Public Works Minister. This job would last until November. (By the end of the year, 12 of the 29 ministers originally assigned had resigned or been removed.)

Again Ray found it necessary to oppose a Cuban dictator, as he feared Castro would become. To this end he created the Revolutionary Movement of the People (MRP) in May 1960. Soon the anti-Castro organization had an active membership in each of Cuba's six provinces.

The MRP was designed as a progressive organization, and it clearly did not wish to turn back the clock, or re-instate the 1940 Constitution. Instead, it proposed a continuation of laws passed by Castro and the Revolution, including the nationalization of all utilities.

Eventually Manuel Ray was forced to leave Cuba or face jail and/or execution. He entered the United States on November 10, 1960, but he wasn't exactly welcomed by recently established Cuban-American leaders Miró Cardona and Manuel Artíme. Because his group had been dramatically to the left of other popular Miami-based anti-Castro groups, they found it "suspicious" that Ray said he would not outlaw the Communist Party in Cuba.

Some CIA analysts contended that Ray was so far "left in his thinking that he would be as dangerous to U.S. interests as Castro." To further confound matters, Ray declined to join the Cuban Revolutionary Council (CRC), of which Miró Cardona was President.

The CRC was a CIA-picked government that would be flown into Cuba once the invading rebels held a sizeable piece of land. This "government in arms" would request U.S. assistance against Castro, and the U.S. would immediately recognize it as Cuba's legitimate government. This would open the door for military assistance.

Ray felt that this "government" was "too restricted" by CIA priorities and did not reflect the needs of the Cuban people. But as a show of support for an armed effort against Castro, however, he joined the CRC about three weeks before the invasion at Bay of Pigs.

About a month after the failed invasion, on May 28, 1961, Ray gave a news conference in Miami announcing his break with the CRC. His reasons were varied but clearly articulated; priority should have been given to underground fighters in Cuba, members of Batista's regime should not have been involved in the invasion, and he should have had a "say" about the military leaders of the invasion. He added that to overthrow Castro, it would be necessary to mobilize the discontented people in Cuba, to which he had more access than any of the CIA-selected leaders.

Ray moved to Puerto Rico in July 1961, and Governor Luis Muñoz Marin offered support. In October of that year Ray accepted a position as a consultant to the Puerto Rican Planning Board.

A year later (July 1962) Ray formed the Junta Revolucionario Cubana (JURE). It was to be strictly political in nature, although it would cooperate with the CRC. Ray hoped that JURE would eventually control the CRC.

JURE proved to be useful to the CIA, particularly to JMWAVE, the CIA station in Miami from which operations against Cuba were run. David Korn wrote in Blond Ghost: Ted Shackley and the CIA's Crusades; "It provided the CIA information on people in Cuba who might be recruited by the Agency or enticed to defect. But Ray's leftist politics still troubled some JMWAVE officers."

In June 1963, Rogelio Cisneros became JURE's military coordinator. Based on his interpretation of the "Rules of Engagement of the Autonomous Operations," Cisneros didn't feel "a need" to report political or military activities to the CIA or anybody else, even when they were the main funding source. [This tendency to act independently and without unity hurt JURE and the anti-Castro movement throughout this decade.]

Ray began to plan an infiltration into Cuba in January 1964, and he turned over control of JURE to Cisneros. In May he quit his job in Puerto Rico and dropped out of sight.

With a crew of seven (which included a reporter and a photographer from LIFE Magazine) Ray headed for Cuba, but days of bad weather and expanded patrol of the Cuban coastline prevented them from reaching the island. They were forced to land at the Antilla Cays, 40 miles away from Cuba, and legally part of the Bahamas. While anchored, British military officers arrested them and confiscated their weapons.

In the U.S., the FBI and the U.S. Treasury Department charged Cisneros with illegally purchasing $50,000 worth of weapons in California.

Ray tried to infiltrate Cuba again in July 1964, with plans to start a revolution against Castro. But again the boat had trouble, and he was forced to abort the plan.

JURE came apart in August 1968. Ray tried to organize Cubans against Castro again in 1969 and 1972.

By 1978 Ray was heading his own engineering consulting firm in Puerto Rico's San Juan.

http://www.spartacus...o.uk/JFKrey.htm

HSCA:

http://www.latinamer.../Manuel-Ray.pdf

CIA:

http://www.maryferre...=7&sortBy=title

http://www.maryferre...D47?docId=52655

Ray in Miami in late October planning infiltration missions.

http://www.maryferre...652&relPageId=4

Odio Incident involving JURE members, or Cubans and Oswald posing as JURE members.

http://www.jfk-onlin...m/odiohsca.html

Edited by William Kelly

http://jfkcountercou...2010/12/11/603/

http://jfkcountercou...2010/12/11/603/

Notes on Manuel Ray Rivero

http://www.historyof...a/ManuelRay.htm

In 1947, at the age of 23, Manuel Ray Rivero received a scholarship from the Cuban Ministry of Public Works to study civil engineering at the University of Utah. He returned to Cuba in 1949 to work in the field of engineering, and later became project manager for the construction of the Havana Hilton Hotel.

Instead of simply accepting his good fortune and success, Ray joined the effort to oust Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista. He organized the Civic Resistance Movement in 1957, overseeing sabotage and acts of urban violence against the government.

In February of 1959, just over a month after Batista's infamous middle-of-the-night departure, the new rebel government appointed Manuel Ray to the position of Public Works Minister. This job would last until November. (By the end of the year, 12 of the 29 ministers originally assigned had resigned or been removed.)

Again Ray found it necessary to oppose a Cuban dictator, as he feared Castro would become. To this end he created the Revolutionary Movement of the People (MRP) in May 1960. Soon the anti-Castro organization had an active membership in each of Cuba's six provinces.

The MRP was designed as a progressive organization, and it clearly did not wish to turn back the clock, or re-instate the 1940 Constitution. Instead, it proposed a continuation of laws passed by Castro and the Revolution, including the nationalization of all utilities.

Eventually Manuel Ray was forced to leave Cuba or face jail and/or execution. He entered the United States on November 10, 1960, but he wasn't exactly welcomed by recently established Cuban-American leaders Miró Cardona and Manuel Artíme. Because his group had been dramatically to the left of other popular Miami-based anti-Castro groups, they found it "suspicious" that Ray said he would not outlaw the Communist Party in Cuba.

Some CIA analysts contended that Ray was so far "left in his thinking that he would be as dangerous to U.S. interests as Castro." To further confound matters, Ray declined to join the Cuban Revolutionary Council (CRC), of which Miró Cardona was President.

The CRC was a CIA-picked government that would be flown into Cuba once the invading rebels held a sizeable piece of land. This "government in arms" would request U.S. assistance against Castro, and the U.S. would immediately recognize it as Cuba's legitimate government. This would open the door for military assistance.

Ray felt that this "government" was "too restricted" by CIA priorities and did not reflect the needs of the Cuban people. But as a show of support for an armed effort against Castro, however, he joined the CRC about three weeks before the invasion at Bay of Pigs.

About a month after the failed invasion, on May 28, 1961, Ray gave a news conference in Miami announcing his break with the CRC. His reasons were varied but clearly articulated; priority should have been given to underground fighters in Cuba, members of Batista's regime should not have been involved in the invasion, and he should have had a "say" about the military leaders of the invasion. He added that to overthrow Castro, it would be necessary to mobilize the discontented people in Cuba, to which he had more access than any of the CIA-selected leaders.

Ray moved to Puerto Rico in July 1961, and Governor Luis Muñoz Marin offered support. In October of that year Ray accepted a position as a consultant to the Puerto Rican Planning Board.

A year later (July 1962) Ray formed the Junta Revolucionario Cubana (JURE). It was to be strictly political in nature, although it would cooperate with the CRC. Ray hoped that JURE would eventually control the CRC.

JURE proved to be useful to the CIA, particularly to JMWAVE, the CIA station in Miami from which operations against Cuba were run. David Korn wrote in Blond Ghost: Ted Shackley and the CIA's Crusades; "It provided the CIA information on people in Cuba who might be recruited by the Agency or enticed to defect. But Ray's leftist politics still troubled some JMWAVE officers."

In June 1963, Rogelio Cisneros became JURE's military coordinator. Based on his interpretation of the "Rules of Engagement of the Autonomous Operations," Cisneros didn't feel "a need" to report political or military activities to the CIA or anybody else, even when they were the main funding source. [This tendency to act independently and without unity hurt JURE and the anti-Castro movement throughout this decade.]

Ray began to plan an infiltration into Cuba in January 1964, and he turned over control of JURE to Cisneros. In May he quit his job in Puerto Rico and dropped out of sight.

With a crew of seven (which included a reporter and a photographer from LIFE Magazine) Ray headed for Cuba, but days of bad weather and expanded patrol of the Cuban coastline prevented them from reaching the island. They were forced to land at the Antilla Cays, 40 miles away from Cuba, and legally part of the Bahamas. While anchored, British military officers arrested them and confiscated their weapons.

In the U.S., the FBI and the U.S. Treasury Department charged Cisneros with illegally purchasing $50,000 worth of weapons in California.

Ray tried to infiltrate Cuba again in July 1964, with plans to start a revolution against Castro. But again the boat had trouble, and he was forced to abort the plan.

JURE came apart in August 1968. Ray tried to organize Cubans against Castro again in 1969 and 1972.

By 1978 Ray was heading his own engineering consulting firm in Puerto Rico's San Juan.

http://www.spartacus...o.uk/JFKrey.htm

HSCA:

http://www.latinamer.../Manuel-Ray.pdf

CIA:

http://www.maryferre...=7&sortBy=title

http://www.maryferre...D47?docId=52655

Ray in Miami in late October planning infiltration missions.

http://www.maryferre...652&relPageId=4

Odio Incident involving JURE members, or Cubans and Oswald posing as JURE members.

http://www.jfk-onlin...m/odiohsca.html

Edited by William Kelly

Bernice,

Thanks for that photo of Barrone Maryane Brandstetter.

Anyone following this should pick up a cheap paperback copy of Be My Guest, the autobiography of Conrad Hilton.

I find it amusing that Col. Brandstetter would marry James Crosby's Ex, while his boss CH, would marry Za Za Gabor.

I wonder if they ever double dated?

BK

Guest Tom Scully

Bernice,

Anyone following this should pick up a cheap paperback copy of Be My Guest, the autobiography of Conrad Hilton.

I find it amusing that Col. Brandstetter would marry James Crosby's Ex, while his boss CH, would marry Za Za Gabor.

BK

Branstetter married Maryane, 24 years his junior, in 1978. The marriage lasted less than two years. About 1980, Maryane met James Crosby and was married to him at the time of his death in 1987. She inherited a considerable amount from Crosby, supposedly with the approval of his family members, because of her devotion to Crosby during the period of illness preceding his death... google translation of French wikipedia article.

Bernice,

BK

Branstetter married Maryane, 24 years his junior, in 1978. The marriage lasted less than two years. About 1980, Maryane met James Crosby and was married to him at the time of his death in 1987. She inherited a considerable amount from Crosby, supposedly with the approval of his family members, because of her devotion to Crosby during the period of illness preceding his death... google translation of French wikipedia article.

Thanks Tom.

So I had it backwards. She married Brandstetter first then Crosby.

I remember Crosby from when he first came to Atlantic City in the late 70s and bought Haddon Hall and made it Resorts International, the first legal casino outside of Nevada.

Have you read Be My Guest - Conrad Hilton's memoirs?

BK

• 2 months later...
Guest Tom Scully

Catchy title though.

BK

also

Also related?

Colonel Dudley Wilmeth

Colonel Howard Burris

Colonel Samuel G. Kail

David Atlee Phillips

more.....

14 April 1961

Chief/WH4/FI

Attached are two reports

Shirley Stetson

E. M. Ashcraft

more......

entitled

[North Fort Hood, Texas]

mounted review......

Uhhh...maybe Col. Kail learned of Collins Radio executive, John H. Boyle and his house at 4722 Cherokee Trail, Dallas through a real estate agent, circa 1973....or....?

It appears the dwelling structure of interest here was torn down or substantially improved

since it was sold in 2006, and now it is a "McMansion".

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4722-Cherokee-Trl-Dallas-TX-75209/26734383_zpid/

http://dfw.c5.blockshopper.com/property/00000352252000000/4722_cherokee_trail

4722 Cherokee Trail

Dallas-Bluffview, TX 75209

Sales History (2001-present)

...June 6, 2005

B: Cruz Lopez, Jorge F Lopez

S: Anne M Kail, Mary Kail, Robert G Kail, Samue G Kail, Samuel G Kail (Estate)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=kail+4722+Cherokee&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Register of graduates and former cadets of the United States ...

United States Military Academy. Association of Graduates - 1974 - Snippet view

Association of Graduates U.S.M.A., United States Military Academy. West Point Alumni Foundation - 1973 - Snippet view

11675 Samuel Goodhue Kail 7i B-WV 7 Jun 15: Inf: MIS WD 42-44: G2 G3 Sects Hq 13 Abn Div TE 45 (CR): KW 7lnf 50-51 (SS-2BSMV-CI): AWC 53- 54: ArmA Cuba 58-61: CO Sp Tng Regt Ft Dix 61-62: USA Elm Car Adm Cen 62-66 (LM): DCSI Hq 4Ar 66-69 (LM): Ret dsbl 69 COL: MA SMU 72: Bus Celt 72: 4722 Cherokee Tr Dallas TX 75209.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22*European+operations+Pan+Am.+World+Airways%2C+1949-52%3B+vp+corporate+marketing%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

World who's who in commerce and industry: Volume 15

1968 - Snippet view

Who's who in finance and industry: Volume 19

Marquis Who's Who, LLC - 1975 - Snipp

...BOYLE, JOHN HARTFORD, electronics со. exec.; b. Chattanooga, July 6, 191 8; s. Hartford D. and Clementine (Zimmerman) В.; BB A-, U. Chattanooga, 1941; m. Paly Spearman. Mar. 23. 1946; children— John Michael. Robert Hartford, Patrick Joseph, Timothy Richard. Sharon Paty. Football coach U. Chattanooga. 1940-41; pilot European operations Am. Overseas Airlines, 1946-49; pilot mgr. European operations Pan Am. World Airways, 1949-52; vp corporate marketing Collins Radio Co., Dallas, 1952 — . Served to maj. USAAF. 1941-46. Home: 4722 Cherokee Trail, Dallas 75209. Office: Collins Radio Co., Dallas 75207.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=nws%3A1%2Car%3A1&q=%22john+h+boyle%22+collins&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Executive Changes

$3.95 - New York Times - Sep 29, 1962

The Collins Radio Company has named John H. Boyle to vice president and general manager of the communication and data systems division; WW Roodhouse, ...

• 8 months later...

I believe one of the most important aspects of the Maryan Franciscus Brandstetter issue is determining if he had a cryptonym, in light of information contained in this book, there is no excuse for his name to not be mentioned

in the HSCA deposition testimony of Dorothe Matlack, James Powell, Harold Frindall or James Hosty or earlier when the Warren Commission deposed George DeMohrenschildt. Brandy's genealogical backgound, Koszeg, Austria and GDM's Haitian sojourn makes the idea that DeMohrenschildt "did not know of him period" seem highly doubtful, although that is just an opinion. On the other hand the fact that Brandstetter remained highly active in matters pertaining to national security decades later, would be a "legitimate," at least from the governmental point of view, reason to withhold his name.

Arguably he would have been referenced as either in Acapulco, Cuba, or Dallas, or undoubtedly [name redacted]

From what I can tell Brandy:Portrait of An Intelligence Officer - Chuck Render And Frank M Brandstetter,2007 Elderberry Press(OR)512 pages is significantly the better of the two books by a far margin, and if you want to know everything about the military Pentagon connections to the JFK Assassination and don't have this book, you will not know everything.

from the back cover

Chuck Render (left) was born in Southern Illinois where he joined the Air Force Reserve on his 17th birthday in January of 1955. He resigned as a Technical Sergeant flight engineer in 1965 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. He completed his baccalaureate and masters degrees at Murray State University in Kentucky and taught math, reading and music in Bluford, Illinois before completing his doctorate at the University of Illinois. He became Assistant Director of Administrative Studies at the University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago, and then Director of Institutional Analysis with rank of Associate Professor at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. In 1985, he was recalled to active duty in the Pentagon, serving in the Office of the Chief of Air Force Reserve and then with the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs with duties in Operations and Plans. He retired from the military as a full "bird colonel" in 1995 after 40 years as an Air Force Reservist and moved to Clarksville, Tennessee. Frank Maryan "Brandy" Brandstetter (right) was born in 1912 in Bratislava and schooled by the Sisters of Charity and military officers throughout his childhood. In his mid-teens, he became a penniless immigrant on the streets of New York and began a life-long career, working his way up through the ranks in the hotel business. In January of 1941, he was sworn in as a U.S. Army Private, was promoted to Sergeant, but was plucked from the ranks, commissioned as a Second Lieutenant, and assigned to Army Intelligence. After jumping with the famed 506th "Band of Brothers" on D-Day, he served at General Matthew B. Ridgway's side throughout the war and afterward in the fledgling U.N. Organization. Brandy served his country for more than 50 years as an Army Reservist, on active duty and off, even at his own expense after his mandatory retirement age. As this book was being written, he was still residing in his fortress-like Casa Tranquilidad (House of Peace) on the mountainside in Acapulco, several hundred yards below the giant landmark cross and chapel he built.

page 216

NOVEMBER 22, 1963

Brandy was instructing a seminar in Dallas, Texas on November 21, 1963 in connection with his Army Reserve duties.

FBI Agent Vincent Drain, who was officially assigned to the Dallas field office on a permanent basis, called Brandy

while he was there. Brandy had collaborated with Drain several years earlier when the two men had worked with the Fourth Army's disaster preparedness and response teams. Brandy spoke at length with Drain who was preparing for President Kennedy's tour of the city the following day. Drain had a big problem. Kennedy had rejected the idea of

using the bubble-top vehicle he had the Air Force fly in, choosing instead to make the trip through the city in an

open-top convertible if weather permitted. Both men knew the risks, but better judgement did not prevail. Brandy

then flew back to Acapulco on the evening of November 21. Rains drenched Dallas during the early morning hours of

November 22, 1963, but the skies became clear and sunny, so the protective bubble on the presidential limousine

was removed. President Kennedy and his first lady, Jackie, drove with Governor John Connally and his wife to a

planned luncheon at the Trade Mart. They would never arrive. Shots rang out as the limo drove down the on-ramp

below the Texas School Book Depository, and John F. Kennedy became the fourth U.S. president to be assassinated

while in office. The nation was suddenly in shock.

page 157

By the fall of 1958, Brandy was able to leave Havana for two weeks of active duty training at the 4th Army

Intelligence School in San Antonio, Texas where he assumed his role as Lieutenant Colonel. During this time

he was able to travel to and from Dallas to spend some time as a loving husband to his ailing wife, even though her condition had not significantly changed. This change would serve as his only vacation from his duties in Cuba.

Time was running out for Brandy's Army Reserve assignment. There were fewer and fewer billets available at the higher ranks. Those who were unable to secure an authorized position with the next higher rank would be forced to resign

when and if they were promoted, or would be passed over for promotion until their mandatory time in rank was exceeded. Before returning to Cuba, Brandy sent his resume and a collection of sample reports and documents to Colonel Rose

in the Office of Assistant Chief for Intelligence (ACSI) in the Pentagon and requested a new assignment. Rose was

well acquainted with Brandy's past activities, so he called within a week and informed Brandy that his new assignment

was right there in his own backyard. A telegraphic message had been sent to Colonel Sam Kail, the Military Attache

at the American Embassy in Havana and Kail would be Brandy's point of contact. Anything that needed to be brought to Rose's attention could be forwarded through classified channels.

page 172

Continuity in the Pentagon is a result of the Civil Service system that has some built-in stability guarantees.

Mrs. Dorothe K. Matlack was one of those rocks of stability, and she was chief of the Exploitation Section (ACSI-CX).

She had been there while the military officers had come and gone. She was already well acquainted with Brandy and the other intelligence officers who had been sending information from all over the world. Brandy's reports through Colonel Kail in Havana had come across her desk, and she had passed them on appropriately.

ACSI BIG BROTHER

Brandy was in high demand throughout the two work weeks following his arrival. Mrs. Matlack exploited Brandy to the best of her ability and scheduled debriefing sessions with representatives from the State Department, U.S. Naval Intelligence, the CIA, and others. Colonel Roth took pleasure in introducing Brandy at these closed meeting in the Pentagon and elsewhere in Washington D.C.

Final Thoughts

Render's mention of Dorothe K. Matlack as being in the ACSI-CX Exploitation Section is a real puzzle for myself.

Below is a reference to the CIA's "Domestic Exploitation Section," but I am wondering if Render is simply mistaken or

if the reference is a legitimate one that is privileged information. At any rate, as I love to remind anyone who will listen, the devil is in the details.

180-10147-10179

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=41228&relPageId=95

Other keywords

Committee of 100

FGCR Former Graduates of Camp Ritchie

Gonzalez, Adolfo Suarez see Suarez Gonzalez Adolfo

Baroness Maria Louis Drag-Sas Hubicki

Pozsony

Nagyszeben, Transylvania

Maryann Franciskus Otto Josephus Wladyslaw Brandstetter Drag-Sas Hubicki

external references

E-ring of the Pentagon [Death of A President, Manchester]