The Education Forum

Multiple assassinations?

Early in Dick Russell's The Man Who Knew Too Much, Russell describes his 1990 interview of Louis Gambert, Richard Case Nagell's brother-in-law. After asking Russell to turn off his tape recorder, Gambert advised that Nagell " 'also thought there was a plan to shoot some other politicians' " in the works by September 20, 1963, when Nagell gave himself up to local police after firing a pistol inside an El Paso bank. Gambert: " 'In other words, not only Kennedy, but more than just one person.' " (39)

Does anyone know of other period revelations of more than one political assassination planned? How do researchers envision these fitting into an expanded cover-up scheme? Obviously, it was possible to find two lone nuts to blame for the double event of 1968, the MLK and RFK killings. (Obviously also, it would have been possible to shoot another official or dignitary during a public appearance with JFK - as might have happened with Senator Ralph Yarborough, and as did happen with Governor Connally.)

Nagell's knowledge of a JFK assassination plan for fall 1963 came from his KGB associates. I believe that on this forum there was a post describing the statement made by a low-level Soviet or Soviet-bloc official, to the effect that the mistress of a higher Soviet official revealed to him that Martin Luther King was slated for assassination in 1963, along with JFK. Can anyone direct me to that post, or to mention of the incident on another site?

Thanks. I will put up any further information on multiple assassinations planned in 1963 as I find it.

Edited by David Andrews

Early in Dick Russell's The Man Who Knew Too Much, Russell describes his 1990 interview of Louis Gambert, Richard Case Nagell's brother-in-law. After asking Russell to turn off his tape recorder, Gambert advised that Nagell " 'also thought there was a plan to shoot some other politicians' " in the works by September 20, 1963, when Nagell gave himself up to local police after firing a pistol inside an El Paso bank. Gambert: " 'In other words, not only Kennedy, but more than just one person.' " (39)

Does anyone know of other period revelations of more than one political assassination planned? How do researchers envision these fitting into an expanded cover-up scheme? Obviously, it was possible to find two lone nuts to blame for the double event of 1968, the MLK and RFK killings. (Obviously also, it would have been possible to shoot another official or dignitary during a public appearance with JFK - as might have happened with Senator Ralph Yarborough, and as did happen with Governor Connally.)

Nagell's knowledge of a JFK assassination plan for fall 1963 came from his KGB associates. I believe that on this forum there was a post describing the statement made by a low-level Soviet or Soviet-bloc official, to the effect that the mistress of a higher Soviet official revealed to him that Martin Luther King was also slated for assassination in 1963. Can anyone direct me to that post, or to mention of the incident on another site?

Thanks. I will put up any further information on multiple assassinations planned in 1963 as I find it.

David,

in my interview with Ruth Peters (daughter of Ruth and Henry Kloepfer), I asked if Oswald had mentioned where he was going. She answered that he had said he was going to Philadelphia, Washington or some other place in the east; that he was going to buy a gun and that he had "important business" there.

To cut to the chase, she has him going to (possibly) Washington for "important business" and obtaining a gun during September... (and why he'd need to obtain one when he already allegedly owned a rifle and a pistol is yet another question)

He had told his wife and Ruth Paine he was going to look for work in either Philadelphia or Houston.

Among other things, Dr Peters said:

that he couldn't/wouldn't make eye contact

that she believed he was flirting with her despite his wife being in another room

that she thought he was nuts

that he was elusive about his finances

Incidentally, the eye contact problem and apparent disregard of social norms (flirting with a 16 year old - and moreover, doing so with your wife just one room away) were among the things that got me considering that he may have had an autistc spectrum disorder such as Asperger's)

Unfortunately, the interview (conducted via email) was lost in a computer crash.

Greg - men tensed on the frontlines of anything live on the rift, are propelled in odd directions by the conflict between personal desire and relentless duty. I wonder if Oz was just on the make there, feeling life might be short. Feeling guilty about it, too.

You made me recall, though, that period where Oz was dropping uncertain travel plans in conversation. Thanks for putting us on that track - it reminds us that Oz was a participant in his incrimination, for who yet knows what reason. What was his 'relentless duty?'

I'm reminded of the line that John Berryman wrote about the mad and luckless poet, Delmore Schwartz (an early 1960s figure, and conspiracy-influenced): "His mission was real, but obscure."

Edited by David Andrews

I really think his writings on the minutemen bears scrutiny.