The Education Forum

Question from Joan Mellen on "The Guilty Men"

John Simkin

Question from Joan Mellen:

I'd be very grateful if you would reply to this query. In the Nigel Turner segment, "The Guilty Men" does Ed Tatro, or anyone else, say that Lyndon Johnson was holded up in a hotel near the courtroom when Malcolm Wallace was on trial for the Kinser murder? I tried to purchase the film so I could answer this, but there is only one copy available here - for $800!

Question from Joan Mellen:

I'd be very grateful if you would reply to this query. In the Nigel Turner segment, "The Guilty Men" does Ed Tatro, or anyone else, say that Lyndon Johnson was holded up in a hotel near the courtroom when Malcolm Wallace was on trial for the Kinser murder? I tried to purchase the film so I could answer this, but there is only one copy available here - for $800!

Joan: These segments are available via utube, all three hours.

Dawn

Message from Joan:

Dear David Andrews,

I am very grateful to you for this speedy response. Thank you so much.

Is there a source for Lyndon's having holed up at a local hotel for the ten days sending runners to the courtroom to report on the proceedings?

Joan

The source is a gentleman interviewed in the very same "Guilty Men" clip that I linked to in my post. I was in a hurry this morning, so I don't know what authority he has, or who it is that he quotes, on LBJ and the Wallace trial. The man tells his tale less than halfway through the first YouTube chapter ("Segment 1") of "The Guilty Men." The three banned episodes are all on YouTube. If you can't locate the segment, I'd have to get back to you tonight with the way it's sourced in the episode.

Edited by David Andrews

Glen Sample, co-author of The Men on the Sixth Floor, asserts in "The Guilty Men," segment 1, that LBJ took a room at "a local hotel" in Austin for the ten days of the Wallace (Kinser) trial, and "constantly sent runners" to check the trial progress. Sample does not cite his sources (in the documentary).

Edited by David Andrews

Glen Sample, co-author of The Men on the Sixth Floor, asserts in "The Guilty Men," segment 1, that LBJ took a room at "a local hotel" in Austin for the ten days of the Wallace (Kinser) trial, and "constantly sent runners" to check the trial progress. Sample does not cite his sources.

Glen Sample is a member of this forum.

If Glen sees this thread, hopefully he will elaborate, but in the meantime, in the electronic version of his book (at 82% point) where he is describing the filming of "The Guilty Men", right after quoting Barr McClellan's lead-in, he states:

"Then followed the steady building of McClellan's case, with interviews, photographs, first person accounts, fingerprint identification, all pointing to LBJ as the mastermind in the Kennedy assassination.

"I too was interviewed by Turner, who incorporated much of our research of Malcolm Wallace and the murder of Doug Kinser in the film. I contributed the newspaper clippings from my extensive research collection, and also told of the account that Kinser's own daughter reported to me, that LBJ closely monitored the 10 day trial of Wallace, sending runners from his hotel to the courthouse to keep him informed."

Obviously, this piece would have only been in the later versions of the book (post 2003) but it clearly states where that piece of information came from.