The Education Forum

Hoover to LBJ: Rifle was shipped to a woman

GIl, Norman, have either of you though of this in relation to Ruth's markings on her calendar?

Have done some thinking on this. It's been bothering that among the name's being traced by the FBI was "Ana Hidell". This, to my mind any way, has to be the "female" Hoover was referring to. I'll leave aside how the FBI could think a female ordered the rifle while simultaneously stating that Oswald was "Hidell" as a matter for a psychological profile of Hoover.

What I'm really interested in is knowing who "Ana" was, or was supposed to be -- and I think I have an answer. She didn't exist - either as a real person, or as anyone's alias.

I think what happened was this: someone (possibly even Hoover himself?) saw a poor copy of some document which said somewhere on it something like "LEE HARVEY OSWALD; AKA HIDELL". In a poor copy, the "K" in "AKA" could easily be mistaken for "N", and voila... the female who ordered the rifle is born.

Back to square one with Ruth and her strange calendar markings.

Edited by Greg Parker

GIl, Norman, have either of you though of this in relation to Ruth's markings on her calendar?

Have done some thinking on this. It's been bothering that among the name's being traced by the FBI was "Ana Hidell". This, to my mind any way, has to be the "female" Hoover was referring to. I'll leave aside how the FBI could think a female ordered the rifle while simultaneously stating that Oswald was "Hidell" as a matter for a psychological profile of Hoover.

What I'm really interested in is knowing who "Ana" was, or was supposed to be -- and I think I have an answer. She didn't exist - either as a real person, or as anyone's alias.

I think what happened was this: someone (possibly even Hoover himself?) saw a poor copy of some document which said somewhere on it something like "LEE HARVEY OSWALD; AKA HIDELL". In a poor copy, the "K" in "AKA" could easily be mistaken for "N", and voila... the female who ordered the rifle is born.

Back to square one with Ruth and her strange calendar markings.

Well, I was close.

The Final Investigation? The HSCA and Army Intelligence, by Paul L. Hoch, The Third Decade, Volume 1, Issue 5

"When arrested today in Dallas, according to information he [Jones] has received, Oswald was carrying a Selective Service card having the name Alex Hidell."

"Jones stated INCT [i.e. Army Intelligence] records here [san Antonio] reflect a reference to Ana [sic. Should have been "an A."] J. Hidell who reportedly has distributed Hands Off Cuba literature."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?mode=searchResult&absPageId=520900

So there you have it... "Ana Hidell" - the female who ordered the weapons, was a phantom born of a typo.

I think there may be an alternative explanation for Ruth's calendar entry. The cogs are turning at least... blink.gif

Pardon my ignorance, but what did Ruth have marked on her calendar?