The Education Forum

Civil Rights Legislation

It has been claimed that LBJ did more to move along civil rights legislation than JFK would have had the latter

survived Dallas to serve another term. During the intervening years since the assassination a lot has been

written to indicate that JFK was "slow" to pursue civil rights. I don't agree at all. I don't care that some of those

making the claim are African Americans. I think that JFK was going about this task as fast as possible. It was

a very difficult and dangerous task, but one that I believe he would have seen through to fruition. As it is, we

can never know for sure...

However, here's something that I can't even IMAGINE coming from the mouth of JFK! The word is: "N****rs"!

Yet, it did come from the mouth of LBJ, which speaks volumes, IMO.

"The more hatred is superficial...the more it runs deep." -- FAREWELL AMERICA (1968)

Guest Robert Morrow

It has been claimed that LBJ did more to move along civil rights legislation than JFK would have had the latter

survived Dallas to serve another term. During the intervening years since the assassination a lot has been

written to indicate that JFK was "slow" to pursue civil rights. I don't agree at all. I don't care that some of those

making the claim are African Americans. I think that JFK was going about this task as fast as possible. It was

a very difficult and dangerous task, but one that I believe he would have seen through to fruition. As it is, we

However, here's something that I can't even IMAGINE coming from the mouth of JFK! The word is: "N****rs"!

"The more hatred is superficial...the more it runs deep." -- FAREWELL AMERICA (1968)

It is funny how folks in the year 2011 get so hysterical over the use of the word "n." They act like it is such a horrid word they can't even fully spell it out. For example, they don't spell "slavery" "s....ry" or call it the S-word. It is really quite silly and juvenile to watch this. I guess these folks have never read Huckleberry Finn like I did in 6th grade. A superb book with the word "n" all throughout the book, e.g. "n Jim" being one of the characters.

Back in the 1950's and 1960's the vast majority (not all) of Southerns used the term "n" to refer to black people, many of whom actually had "white" blood in them.

As for Lyndon Johnson, just read the book LBJ: Mastermind of JFK's Assassination. Johnson was a racist, then again the vast majority of his peer group were racist and vehemently opposed to civil rights. Lyndon Johnson thought that the proper relationship between whites and blacks would be "master" and "slave."

Johnson ALSO had an attractive black secretary named GERRY WHITTINGTON. In fact he spend New Year's Eve socializing with her at parties in Austin before heading back to the Driskill Hotel (where Madeleine Brown waited upstairs). Ron Kessler's Secret Service contacts said that LBJ was having sex with 5 of his 8 secretaries, and this lady was attractive ... so I will let you estimate the odds.

Lyndon Johnson - after murdering JFK or being on the coup d'etat - had to throw a sop to the liberals, after all a LOT of them were suspecting that HE, LBJ, had a role in the JFK assassination. So civil rights was LBJ's way of carrying on the Kennedy legacy (as opposed to what LBJ did NOT continue with: dropping LBJ from the ticket, ending or cutting back oil depreciation allowances, not getting involved in Vietnam, opposing the Rockefellers).

So were American blacks happy with John Kennedy's stand on civil rights? You bet they were: he forcibly and militarily integrated Ole Miss; he made Gov. Wallace of Alabama backdown in his famous "school door" stand a few months before... all you have to do is look at the PHOTOS of a whole line of black Americans smiling and waving at JFK as they stood right outside the Texas School Book Depository just 8.5 seconds before the murder of JFK. American blacks were very aware JFK was moving the ball in the right direction. In millions of black homes across America there were 3 photos on the wall: Jesus, Martin Luther King and John Kennedy.

As for Vice President LBJ, all he did was subvert and undermine and undercut John Kennedy on every single policy he had - including civil rights. JFK appointed LBJ as head of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission where he LBJ promptly did NOTHING to such a degree that Bobby Kennedy came to one of the public meetings and humiliate Johnson there. After looking at LBJ's non-performance on civil rights, John Kennedy remarked that is why Lyndon Johnson must NEVER be president.

LBJ pushing civil rights in the wake of the JFK assassination was not just political opportunism for Johnson, it was part of his LBJ's escape plan from the JFK assassination. Also, the events of 1964, particularly the murder of 3 civil rights workers in Philadelphia, MS on 6/19/64 also provided a big impetus for the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

And even that thing was unenforceable and toothless. The REAL change occurred the next year with the Voting Rights Act of 1965. That was where the rubber hit the road, as local blacks were suddenly (and belatedly) electing the local sherriff, city council and county commissioners. THAT is when political change REALLY came to the South.

Lyndon Johnson spend much of his life violating people's civil rights - notably by murdering them - that I can't give the ole boy any credit for passing civil rights legistlation; he did it using John Kennedy's dead body. And LBJ did it because civil rights was part of his escape plan from the JFK assassination.

============================================

LBJ kept a daily diary which can be viewed on the LBJ library website. Looking up 12/31/63 the following is noted:

8:10 Depart LBJ Ranch via... chopper with Don Thomas, Sandy Shapiro, General

Clifton

Gerry Whittington, VM, MF To Austin

Forty Acres Club

Frank Erwin's residence

White House Press

Headliners Club

12:10 To LBJ via Chopper w/ A.W. Moursund, Gerry W., General Clifton, VM, MF

Edited by Robert Morrow

Robert,

As a point of personal reference, let me just point out why there's a difference. There are derogatory labels that some feel are best left unsaid. The words slave or

slavery are not "labels" at all. They are sometimes the only words that can be used to describe a person's actual state or the system that provides for such a state

of being. The "N" word is disrespectful when used as if it is "legitimate" and/or accepted terminology.

On the other hand, for example, when those from the North and/or the West regularly refer to a down trodden Southern group of white people as "White Trash, Trailer

Trash, or Hillbillies" after a history of this same group of "labeled" people having been mercilessly oppressed--even by other whites-- I refrain from using those words,

as well. In fact, I refrain from using those words now in speech, although I am more likely to actually spell them all the way out. For me, it's a matter of being sensitive

to the feelings of those for whom such language can be hurtful, not merely offensive. The "N" word has been misused so often over the years that we can identify it by

its "abbreviation" only. But, if I referred to the "H" word (Hillbilly), nobody would even know what I meant.

Edited by Greg Burnham

It is funny how folks in the year 2011 get so hysterical over the use of the word "n." They act like it is such a horrid word they can't even fully spell it out. For example, they don't spell "slavery" "s....ry" or call it the S-word. It is really quite silly and juvenile to watch this. I guess these folks have never read Huckleberry Finn like I did in 6th grade. A superb book with the word "n" all throughout the book, e.g. "n Jim" being one of the characters.

Back in the 1950's and 1960's the vast majority (not all) of Southerns used the term "n" to refer to black people, many of whom actually had "white" blood in them.

As for Lyndon Johnson, just read the book LBJ: Mastermind of JFK's Assassination. Johnson was a racist, then again the vast majority of his peer group were racist and vehemently opposed to civil rights. Lyndon Johnson thought that the proper relationship between whites and blacks would be "master" and "slave."

Johnson ALSO had an attractive black secretary. In fact he spend New Year's Eve socializing with her at parties in Austin before heading back to the Driskill Hotel (where Madeleine Brown waited upstairs). Ron Kessler's Secret Service contacts said that LBJ was having sex with 5 of his 8 secretaries, and this lady was attractive ... so I will let you estimate the odds.

Lyndon Johnson - after murdering JFK or being on the coup d'etat - had to throw a sop to the liberals, after all a LOT of them were suspecting that HE, LBJ, had a role in the JFK assassination. So civil rights was LBJ's way of carrying on the Kennedy legacy (as opposed to what LBJ did NOT continue with: dropping LBJ from the ticket, ending or cutting back oil depreciation allowances, not getting involved in Vietnam, opposing the Rockefellers).

So were American blacks happy with John Kennedy's stand on civil rights? You bet they were: he forcibly and militarily integrated Ole Miss; he made Gov. Wallace of Alabama backdown in his famous "school door" stand a few months before... all you have to do is look at the PHOTOS of a whole line of black Americans smiling and waving at JFK as they stood right outside the Texas School Book Depository just 8.5 seconds before the murder of JFK. American blacks were very aware JFK was moving the ball in the right direction. In millions of black homes across America there were 3 photos on the wall: Jesus, Martin Luther King and John Kennedy.

As for Vice President LBJ, all he did was subvert and undermine and undercut John Kennedy on every single policy he had - including civil rights. JFK appointed LBJ as head of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission where he LBJ promptly did NOTHING to such a degree that Bobby Kennedy came to one of the public meetings and humiliate Johnson there. After looking at LBJ's non-performance on civil rights, John Kennedy remarked that is why Lyndon Johnson must NEVER be president.

LBJ pushing civil rights in the wake of the JFK assassination was not just political opportunism for Johnson, it was part of his LBJ's escape plan from the JFK assassination. Also, the events of 1964, particularly the murder of 3 civil rights workers in Philadelphia, MS on 6/19/64 also provided a big impetus for the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

And even that thing was unenforceable and toothless. The REAL change occurred the next year with the Voting Rights Act of 1965. That was where the rubber hit the road, as local blacks were suddenly (and belatedly) electing the local sherriff, city council and county commissioners. THAT is when political change REALLY came to the South.

Lyndon Johnson spend much of his life violating people's civil rights - notably by murdering them - that I can't give the ole boy any credit for passing civil rights legistlation; he did it using John Kennedy's dead body. And LBJ did it because civil rights was part of his escape plan from the JFK assassination.

Robert

Thank you for that amazing high calorie post!