The Education Forum

Ha Ha Ha

a curiosity...

TIME

Monday, Dec. 02, 1940

PROPAGANDA: Mr. Dies Delivers

''... .In Berlin, Nazi spokesmen gave "three short laughs," explained that in German military tradition when an officer cracks a joke without a point, an order is issued: "Three short laughs will be given. ..."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,772455,00.html#ixzz1OkrSGBkh

----------------

???...

a curiosity...

TIME

Monday, Dec. 02, 1940

''... .In Berlin, Nazi spokesmen gave "three short laughs," explained that in German military tradition when an officer cracks a joke without a point, an order is issued: "Three short laughs will be given. ..."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,772455,00.html#ixzz1OkrSGBkh

----------------

???...

John

Or was it like Ha........haha.!?.

Ian

I dunno, Ian. I think the words were even but the exclamation mark (?) intones punctuation. Afa how this series of sharp laughs were delivered, I've no idea. Prob depending on the persons mood.?

It's just a tidbit from an offshoot from a story in the daily mirror, the dec2, 1940 issue on the pack page about mounties capturin or arresting a group of canadian nazis, that led to something else which led to this article where I was a bit surprised by the quoted snippet.

Various minutae are always on the backburner.

This seems an interesting thing, to me.

I dunno, Ian. I think the words were even but the exclamation mark (?) intones punctuation. Afa how this series of sharp laughs were delivered, I've no idea. Prob depending on the persons mood.?

It's just a tidbit from an offshoot from a story in the daily mirror, the dec2, 1940 issue on the pack page about mounties capturin or arresting a group of canadian nazis, that led to something else which led to this article where I was a bit surprised by the quoted snippet.

Various minutae are always on the backburner.

This seems an interesting thing, to me.

Like Butlers apologizing "Sir" when confronted with a partially dressed lady.

Odd but interesting !.

Yeah, a formality of sorts that identifies one. Perhaps something like, note something like, a bavarian officer social code.

Yeah, a formality of sorts that identifies one. Perhaps something like, note something like, a bavarian officer social code.

I presume that this training followed them into thier civilian lives wherever it may be Home or Abroad it would immediately identify them in plain sight I shall be listening closely John!.

Well, that is an honour. Thank you Ian.

I shall also do so.

I've been toying with notions of a coincidence, meaningless or meaningful parody, derailment (which in a way is just as good if one can spot it. and get back on track), a meaningful code, ...? I think that the answer should be simple, I think it's important to approach it from an agnostic pov.

a curiosity...

TIME

Monday, Dec. 02, 1940

----------------

???...

he he he... B)

Ok, this is all I,ve come up with (after thinking about the mindnumbing contributions on this post. It's certainly educational in many ways.): Afa the ha ha ha goes, the contemporary online dictionary translates it back and forth as ha in english is haha in german. This kinda makes sense to me. Haha afa as I know (both my parents spoke german and I learnt some rudiments) is bit like a cheer. So, to me unless someone can come up with anything different I'd call this a meaningless coincidence. If there is a meaningful answer this is not it. (imo)

And this relates to the assassination of JFK?

George de Mohrenschildt in his memoir translated it as "This is the hunter of fascists, ha, ha, ha!" and also assumed that Marina had written it ...

http://cipshare.com/jfktruth_com/Oswald/RiflePhotos/index.htm

Anyway it's there in some format or other.

a thought : If the person who did write it had no direct knowledge of the 'tradition' (if it is one), but a second hand knowing of it (as per the article) then that person may have made the same assumption re ha v haha : ''three short laughs''. As it turns out (apparently) this should have been delivered as haha haha haha (or if one wishes, I suppose, whatever variant of ha one chooses). So I'd be inclined to consider a coincidental, uninformed or shorthand, play on words. Still in the relam of meaningless.

George de Mohrenschildt in his memoir translated it as "This is the hunter of fascists, ha, ha, ha!" and also assumed that Marina had written it ...

http://cipshare.com/...hotos/index.htm

Anyway it's there in some format or other.

a thought : If the person who did write it had no direct knowledge of the 'tradition' (if it is one), but a second hand knowing of it (as per the article) then that person may have made the same assumption re ha v haha : ''three short laughs''. As it turns out (apparently) this should have been delivered as haha haha haha (or if one wishes, I suppose, whatever variant of ha one chooses). So I'd be inclined to consider a coincidental, uninformed or shorthand, play on words. Still in the relam of meaningless.

perhaps not :

...on the other hand...

Cassell's New G - E , E - G Dictionary (1910) has a couple of entries :

G > E: (with the german h in old german)

''

haha' , I. interj. ha ha ! aha ! II. n. ha ha !

hahaha' , interj, tehee !

'' ... ???

Guest Tom Scully
http://www.newsreview.com/chico/images-of-our-times/content?oid=27461

“Dos Niños,” Seville, 1953

PHOTO BY IRA LATOUR

Ira Latour picks up a mounted photograph, taken in 1999, of Luftwaffe pilot Gunther Rall cradling model of a Messerschmidt 109 plane between his hands.

“That’s the third-ranking fighter pilot in the world,” Latour notes. “An ace is five planes. Guess how many he shot down.”

I estimate high: 45.

“Two-hundred and seventy-five. He was shot down himself eight times. … Ha ha ha! A very nice guy—he would have shot at me, and I would have shot at him. But times change.”

Latour pauses. And then we are off in a new direction.

You may have taken an art history class from him at Chico State University. Or perhaps you’ve seen one of his stunning black-and-white photographs while strolling through the MOMA in New York or San Francisco, or in collections side by side with works by Edward Weston or Ansel Adams. An irrepressibly jovial and modest man, Ira Latour, who’s now 86, has led a creative life that has made him a legend in the art world. ...

....During his elementary-school years, Latour was the envy of his class. Recognized by his teacher as gifted in art, he lived the fantasy of young day-dreamers everywhere.

“It was called ‘progressive education’ at the time, and they meant well. … They allowed me to go to the back of the room and do my own thing while other students were learning hard subjects like math! Ha ha ha!” ....

....History wasn’t through with him, however, as a year of voluntary service for the Allied forces turned into four. Latour outran Rommel in North Africa and received the more desirable (and safer) position as the head of aerial photography for a squadron of fighter planes in Europe.....

http://www.luminous-lint.com/app/vexhibit/_PHOTOGRAPHER_Ira__Latour_01/2/0/0/

Ira H. Latour

...In 1950 he returned to Europe with the writer Gene Thompson to do photojournalism and write a book. After a year in Paris and assignments for the Marshall Plan, Latour and Thompson worked in Heidelberg for US Army Headquarters, Europe. For almost four years, Latour was director of photography for USAREUR‘s Special Activities Division, at the time of one of the largest operations in the world. The Division‘s extensive activities, providing support for the US military and their families abroad, contributed to the reestablishment of the German photographic industry and to the Wirtschaftswunder, the miracle of German economic recovery...

http://www.csuchico.edu/pub/inside/archive/99_12_09/achievements.html

Achievements - INSIDE Chico State

Dec 9, 1999 ... Ira Latour, professor emeritus, Art and Art History, worked with Cameron Macauley of CCM Associates, appraisers of the 8 mm Zapruder film of ...

Ha ha ha! Ray claims there is nothing to see here, or anywhere....the dressmaker and his film are legit!

I also have a 1843 ger eng dictionary. It tells a bit the same about ha.

Now: it's an interjection, with a possible particular usage, which may or may not be relevant, exemplified by the exclamation mark. That, to me, seems unusual.

Tom, thank you for that info, it makes this a bit more intriguing.