The Education Forum

A Guy In Minnesota/Oswald and Naval Intelligence

I've never had the time to really track all this down, and the subject is a difficult guy and not well-liked, let us say, by his family; is not regarded as an honest person. But I find him very credible - here's the story:

I was given this lead years ago - and told that there was a gentleman up in Minnesota who knew Oswald in the 1950s, and whom Oswald had tried to recruit. I called him up; here is what he told me:

"I was in sick bay at Balboa naval base. Lee Harvey Oswald was in there too, and he tried to recruit me for Naval Intelligence."

I was astounded but skeptical. Yet, here was a guy who had never gone public with this, never, except to a few relatives (one of whom had told me about it). He refused to go public with this, and was actually a bit scared; I called him every few years, starting on the early 1990s. The last time I spoke to him we got to talking about Oswald.

he said: "He just kept talking about Russia." I said, "not surprising, he went there later to live." "Really?" he asked.

he was completely surprised by this, in a way which did not seem the least bit faked. There was not a trace of falseness in his response, he seemed honestly bewildered by the news (and I had to remind myself that not everybody keeps up with this stuff). Which really, to my way of thinking, added to his credibility.

I pushed him a bit, and he discontinued the conversation. That was last year; I believe he is in his 70s. I have been trying to find someone who would like to pursue this. I have contact info, if it is still good.

Edited by Allen Lowe

I've never had the time to really track all this down, and the subject is a difficult guy and not well-liked, let us say, by his family; is not regarded as an honest person. But I find him very credible - here's the story:

I was given this lead years ago - and told that there was a gentleman up in Minnesota who knew Oswald in the 1950s, and whom Oswald had tried to recruit. I called him up; here is what he told me:

"I was in sick bay at Balboa naval base. Lee Harvey Oswald was in there too, and he tried to recruit me for Naval Intelligence."

I was astounded but skeptical. Yet, here was a guy who had never gone public with this, never, except to a few relatives (one of whom had told me about it). He refused to go public with this, and was actually a bit scared; I called him every few years, starting on the early 1990s. The last time I spoke to him we got to talking about Oswald.

he said: "He just kept talking about Russia." I said, "not surprising, he went there later to live." "Really?" he asked.

he was completely surprised by this, in a way which did not seem the least bit faked. There was not a trace of falseness in his response, he seemed honestly bewildered by the news (and I had to remind myself that not everybody keeps up with this stuff). Which really, to my way of thinking, added to his credibility.

I pushed him a bit, and he discontinued the conversation. That was last year; I believe he is in his 70s. I have been trying to find someone who would like to pursue this. I have contact info, if it is still good.

I don't mind. I enjoy the tough ones. Try talking to Clydie Gray!

May take a bit more background on him till I feel comfortable. PM me with all the info Allen.

Thanks, Ed