The Education Forum

Looking for images of the Kennedy car and the Queen Mary

For a very good look at Jackie's Lincoln limo, at FMC called the "Sheik II", with SS ID 279X

Pamela,

I was surprised to learn that Jackie had a Lincoln limo.

Do you know when she got it and for how long she kept it.

I am astonished that after when happened in Dallas, Jackie would have a similar car for herself.

James

The Sheik II (297X) was a replica of 100X without the center partition area. It was designed for Jackie not long after 100X was delivered to the White House. This car actually had another function -- at times it was shipped out to Lincoln dealerships where they could claim they had borrowed the Kennedy limo, without actually lying too much. I don't know that this was Jackie's favorite car when she was in the White House; there was a Chrysler, I believe, she also used. This car was not used by Jackie after the assassination. Its close resemblance to 100X may, however, have contributed to her apparent confusion in her WC testimony when she mentioned that (my words) she thought perhaps there was a windshield between the passengers and the SS agents and that's why it was hard to hear what Kellerman was saying. 297X had a permanent privacy window installed; the one originally in 100X was removed three months after delivery. One of the photos Bernice just posted (top right http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=18724&pid=268279&st=15entry268279) shows the 100X privacy window.

Edited by Pamela Brown