The Education Forum

Looking for images of the Kennedy car and the Queen Mary

I am hoping members can help me here. I am about to model both the Kennedy car and the Queen Mary.

For both cars I need the following images for reference in accurately building the cars:-

i. An image looking at the car sideways. I need it be as close to sideways as is possible.

ii. An image looking into the front of the car. Again as straight on as possible.

iii. An image looking into the back of the car.

There are a large number of images of the cars on the Internet, but none that are as precise as I want. I rather not skew the images I have to get the perspective correct. I not confident that in doing so I would not also change the essential dimensions.

I could also do with some decent copies of the plans of the cars. The ones I have, although useable if necessary, are not very clear.

Also does anyone know how high the runner board is on the Queen Mary. I could guestimate, but I'd rather not.

I do hope members are able to help me out.

Thank you.

James.

James,

With all due respect, you may be trying to re-invent the wheel. There are good 1/43 and 1/24 models of SS100X available. Here is a link to one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Lincoln-President-JFK-Limo-X-100-KENNEDY-CAR-1-24-Presidential-Series-Car-/110782452913?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item19cb2614b1

I also have a 1/24 of the QMII.

The blueprints and drawings for SS100X were the property of Hess+Eisenhardt. Kevin MacDonald, who built the replica limo used in JFK and ITTC, plus many other productions, is the only one who has them; he was a progege of Willard Hess.

Not to hijack, but I am curious as to what the plan was for the agents on the running boards when the Queen was traveling at highway speeds - between Love Field and downtown Dallas, and on Stemmons between Dealey and the Trade Mart.

What actually did happen? Did the agents ride the boards all the way?

• 1 year later...

Not to hijack, but I am curious as to what the plan was for the agents on the running boards when the Queen was traveling at highway speeds - between Love Field and downtown Dallas, and on Stemmons between Dealey and the Trade Mart.

What actually did happen? Did the agents ride the boards all the way?

Just saw this post. There may have been a motorcade most of the way downtown. I know JFK stopped and got out of the car along the way at least once. Don't think they would have been on the running boards at anything but parade speed. Also don't know if there was another vehicle available for them under such a circumstance.

Just saw this post. There may have been a motorcade most of the way downtown. I know JFK stopped and got out of the car along the way at least once. Don't think they would have been on the running boards at anything but parade speed. Also don't know if there was another vehicle available for them under such a circumstance.

Pamela,

I believe JFK stopped twice.

The SS agents certainly were on the car as it sped away from Elm Street and as it was approaching the Stemmons Freeway.

Approaching Stemmons Freeway:-

macintire2_zpsa3430cdb.jpg

However, although I had not realized it, the Queen Mary must have stopped before going onto the Stemmons Freeway, because the picture taken there does not show them on the running boards. I doubt there was space for them in the car as well

Stemmons Freeway:-

Stemmons_zps868ec4e5.jpg

What I had not been aware of, until recently, there were agent supports on the side of the JFK car. Unlike the Queen Mary, these ones were retractable.

James

Edited by James R Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

"Six more pictures of SS-100-X shortly after it arrived at the White House on June 15, 1961, can

be found here:

Kennedy-Photos.blogspot.com"

Nice. In the third photo from the top, (of the photos at the link) the rear seat is raised and the privacy window is plainly visible.

Edited by Pamela Brown

For a very good look at Jackie's Lincoln limo, at FMC called the "Sheik II", with SS ID 279X, this video can't be topped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERIXGRG-9Nc

Wait patiently through some heavy-handed singing until minute 4...

JFK in New Orleans May 1962.

http://photos.nola.c...ney_in_new.html

Nice. Thanks.

For a very good look at Jackie's Lincoln limo, at FMC called the "Sheik II", with SS ID 279X

Pamela,

I was surprised to learn that Jackie had a Lincoln limo.

Do you know when she got it and for how long she kept it.

I am astonished that after when happened in Dallas, Jackie would have a similar car for herself.

James