The Education Forum

The Atlantic Magazine: The Real Cuban Missile Crisis

The central thesis of the article as stated on page 80 of the magazine is that, “Beginning in the late 1980s, however, the opening of previously classified archives and the decision of a number of participants to finally tell the truth revealed that the crisis was indeed resolved by an explicit but concealed deal to remove both the Jupiter [from Turkey] and the Cuban missiles. Kennedy in fact threatened to abrogate if the Soviets disclosed it. He did so for the same reasons that had largely engendered the crisis in the first place—domestic politics and the maintenance of America’s image as the indispensable nation.”

The problem I have with the author’s statement is that I was living in New York City at the time of the 1962 crisis and I can still see in my mind’s eye the headline in the New York Times or Washington Post, both of which I read each day, that an agreement had been reached between the U.S. and the Soviet Union to defuse the crisis by the withdrawal of the U.S. Jupiter missiles from Turkey and the Soviet missiles from Cuba. Thus, there was no public concealment of these basis terms of the deal.

So this article, in my opinion, appears to be an effort on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the JFK’s assassination to distort and tarnish the reputation of President Kennedy by depriving him of being credited for solving the nuclear crisis through his courageous leadership by forcing the Soviet Union to back down from placing its missiles 90 miles from the American mainland.

Douglas,

Thanks for posting this thought-provoking article.

--Tommy :sun

Tommy, I agree that the article is thought-provoking, which is why I posted it, but still believe its intent is a calculated attempt to discredit President Kennedy on one of the major achievements of his administration.

Douglas,

Thanks for posting this thought-provoking article.

Tommy, I agree that the article is thought-provoking, which is why I posted it, but still believe its intent is a calculated attempt to discredit President Kennedy on one of the major achievements of his administration.

Douglas,

Here's another thought-provoking article which puts Kennedy in a much better light but says that the pulling out of the Soviet missiles from Cuba and the U.S. missiles from Turkey was the result of a "secret compromise."

http://www.bostonglo...g3PM/story.html

Edited by Thomas Graves

That is correct.

Kennedy got the Jupiters deal in a back channel between RFK and Dobrynin.

But if that had not worked, he had instructed Rusk to tell U Thant to float the offer at the UN.

Now, how much more public can you get?

What BS.

[...] The confrontation ended on October 28, 1962,[7] when Kennedy and United Nations Secretary-General U Thant reached an agreement with Khrushchev. Publicly, the Soviets would dismantle their offensive weapons in Cuba and return them to the Soviet Union, subject to United Nations verification, in exchange for a US public declaration and agreement never to invade Cuba. Secretly, the US agreed that it would dismantle all US-built Jupiter IRBMs deployed in Turkey and Italy. [...] (emphasis added)

http://en.wikipedia...._missile_crisis

Edited by Thomas Graves

Jim I have a suggestion. Use the Atlantic Article as a lead, link to it, but then use it as a lead in to all that is misleading and include a link to Destiny Betrayed, 2nd edition. Then spread it everywhere. Or write an article for Consortium. I would do it myself, but I am too busy and, historically, this has lead to a typo.

Often when one puts the glossy bourgeois media front and center, it can attract attention, because now you are questioning the entire agenda of the gloss-central. Hence the "aboutness" of the article becomes elite media and its relationship with North Virginia, and it now could enjoy a wider audience.

All of the disinfo stories that we will see this year can be used for Judo. To not respond is surrender.

Edited by Nathaniel Heidenheimer