The Education Forum

ID of Two News Men on Steps

There are two men, both of whom I believe to be news men standing at the top of the entrance steps in Willis 02 and also in Skaggs 12. They may be from WFAA or KTVT. Some time ago I saw a photo that had these men's names, but I have been unable to remember or locate the source.

I am hoping that posting these photos may jog the memory of one or more members here.

The number labels on the photos:

1. I believe to be Roy E. Lewis

2. I believe to be Charles Givens

3 and 4. Officers Barnett and Smith

5. ???

6. ???

7. College Boy

Skaggs12Annotated_zpsc25f5ea2.jpgwillis08CropAnn_zpsa4df27f0.jpg?t=138117

Edit: typo

Edited by Richard Hocking

One candidate is Pierce Allman of WFAA.

Allman was standing on Elm St. near Bill Newman when shots were fired.

He initially ran up the slope of the Grassy Knoll, then went inside the TSBD to call the station (encountering LHO as he entered the front door).

He remained at the TSBD for awhile.

Still need more definite information to place him on the front steps for the above photos.

Edit Update: Allman apparently fit Oswald's description of a man with "crew cut" hair. For Allman to be man #5 or 6, one of them should have a crew cut. I cannot tell from these photos.

Also, we can exclude Robert MacNeil who also entered the TSBD around the same time as Allman. MacNeil had blond hair.

Edited by Richard Hocking

Richard,

I believe your "5" is very possibly KTVT cameraman Don Cook, wearing the ID badge on the left side of his jacket. He appears in one of the James Murray photos also, at around the same time.

Chris

Richard,

I believe your "5" is very possibly KTVT cameraman Don Cook, wearing the ID badge on the left side of his jacket. He appears in one of the James Murray photos also, at around the same time.

Chris

Many thanks, Chris.

Here is one of the Murray photo's from Robin Unger's site, showing a different angle on the two men.

Murray_TSBD_zps150da914.jpg

Another photo from Robin's site. Not sure who took it, but Don Cook is labeled in it.

Don_Cook~0.jpg

So, if Don Cook is #5, who is unidentified man #6?

Thanks for the shot of Barnett and Smith, Robin.

I know that a couple years ago, Martin Hinrichs, yourself and others had a thread going on another forum that attempted to ID individuals in various photos taken in Dealey Plaza. Can you remember if any attempt was made to ID the other news man on the steps with Don Cook?