The Education Forum

Fred Black Jr.

I want to thank Bob Harrison, Dade County investigator, for directing me to the following document:

I ask Forum members if anyone knew anything about Fred Black and Ed Morgan. I received this information from an investigator who had worked the death of Rosellie. I appreciate his confidence. (I have BOLD'ed the section that pertains to Black and Morgan)

8 October 1976

MEMORANDUM FOR: Director of Security

SUBJECT : Dade County Request for Agency Assistance

Regarding the Death of Johnny Roselli

1. The following is provided for your information and pertains to an assessment of the information contained in Office of Security files relevant to the request from the Dade County Sheriff's Office pursuant to their investigation of the death of Johnny Roselli.

2. The Dade County Sheriff's representatives requested all Agency information pertaining to several Cuban nationals. A review of Office of Security indices in this regard disclosed the following:

a. Ramon Don Eestevez [Donestevez] Dominquez – Office of Security records were negative.

b. Rolando Masferrer Rojas – Covert.(36 859) and overt (352 772) security files were located regarding Rolando Masferrer, a Cuban citizen born 12 January 1918 in Holguin, Cuba. Although limited national agency checks were conducted on Subject in January 1950, there is no indication that Masferrer was ever utilized by the Agency. He is a former Cuban senator and Cuban Communist Party member (expelled in 1945), a former commander for Batista's private army, and firmly anti-Castro. The two files contain numerous FBI reports regarding his activities in connection with an attempt to invade Cuba in 1960 and a subsequent effort to invade Haiti in 1967. Masferrer and 75 of his follower were arrested in January 1967 in Marathon, Florida, while preparing for the invasion of Haiti.

Masferrer claimed that his Haiti invasion plot was approved by the U. S. Government (varying between the CIA and the FBI as the approving agency). While the CIA approval claim was untrue, Agency concern, at the time, centered around the possibility of unfavorable publicity and the compromise of sources and methods if the Agency was forced to disprove Masferrer's charges in court. A handwritten note in Masferrer's file revealed that he died in 1975 when his car was blown apart by a bomb in Florida. No further details regarding his death were contained in his subject files. Since Masferrer has never been affiliated with the Agency, despite his claims, it is believed that Dade County officials should be referred to the FBI for information regarding Masferrer.

C. Luciano Nieves – Office of Security files contain [ ] information regarding Luciano Nieves Mestre, date and place of birth 6 October 1933, Santa Clara, Cuba. Nieves was [ ] on 4 February 1966 in Florida. It was developed that he was a Cuban national who had been arrested, tried, and sentenced to 20 years in Cuban for allegedly being involved in an anti-Castro plot. He was released in March 1965 after serving approximately 16 months of his sentences and went to Spain briefly where he was of interest to the [ ] In August 1965 he entered the United States and in November 1965 was contacted by Directorate of Operations (DDO) representatives. From November 1965 until approximately January 1966 he was of operations interest in the DDO.

It is noted that the DDO maintains a 201 file (201-788521) regarding Subject and it is believed that the Office of Security would have to defer any decision regarding the release of information concerning Nieves to the DDO.

d. Jose de La Torriente – Security records contain only sparse information provided by the Domestic Contact service in 1970 showing that one Jose de La Torriente, not further identified, claimed association with the Agency was not contained in Office of Security files. It is believed that a decision to release information regarding Torriente would have to be deferred to the DDO.

e. Jose Quintana – Office of Security records contain no information identifiable with Jose Quintana.

f. Jaoquin Antonio Cortizo – Office of Security records are negative.

g. Manola Artimes – Security records contain overt (611 523) and covert (210 838) files regarding Manuel Francisco Artime-Buesa. Artime-Buesa is a former Agency operational asset utilized by the DDO during the approximate period 1959-1963. Any decision regarding the release of information regarding Artime-Buesa or his present whereabouts should be deferred to the DDO.

h. AMLASH – Rolando Cubela (Secades), Agency cryptonym – AMLASH, is the subject of the Office of Security covert file 101 080. Cubela is a rather celebrated Cuban national and operational contact of the DDO mentioned throughout both of the Senate Select Committee assassination reports. Although Cubela is identified in the assassination reports as AMLASH and his identity has never been revealed by the Agency, his true identity has been surfaced in several recent news articles. All information on Cubela in the possession of the Office of Security would fall within the purview of the DDO, and it is believed that any decision to release information pertaining to Cubela should be deferred to the Latin America Division of the DDO. It should be noted that during their investigation, Senate Select Committee staffers reviewed Cubela's raw files from both the DDO and the Office of Security.

I. Dade County Sheriff's Office representatives requested the "names of the three Cubans mentioned in the Roselli testimony." It is believed that the response to this question should be deferred to the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence since the Office of Security does not have access to the Roselli testimony.

3. Additionally, the Dade County Sheriff's Office representatives ask for all Agency information pertaining to several individuals of unknown citizenships, but believed to be U. S. citizens. A review of the Office of Security indices in this regard disclosed the following:

a. Fred Black – Office of Security records revealed only newspaper clippings contained in the Robert G. Baker subject file (260 273) showing that Fred B. Black, Jr., a consultant with North American Aviation, was a close friend and business associate of "Bobby" G. Baker. Black was mentioned repeatedly in the news media coverage of Senate investigations of Baker in the early 1960's. While Black's citizenship is undetermined, it is probable that he is a U. S. citizen.

b. Edward Morgan–A covert security file (46 394) was located regarding Edward Pierpont Morgan, date and place of birth 28 May 1913, St. Louis, Missouri. Morgan, a U. S. citizen and former FBI agent from 1941-1945, was granted a [ XXX ] Clearance on 2 February 1951 for use as a "cut out" in connection [ XXXX ] The [ XXXX ] Clearance was amended and approved in March 1951 to include Morgan's use in providing covert legal support for operations in the form of a "cut out", legal advice, transmission of funds, and other assistance of a legal nature in connection with DDO projects. Since Subject may have been utilized by the DDO, it is felt that any decision to release information regarding Morgan should be deferred to the DDO.

It is noted that while only the aforementioned subject file exists regarding Morgan, in his capacity as Robert A. Maheu's personal attorney, Morgan is mentioned sporadically in the Maheu, Harvey, and Roselli files. In 1967 Maheu was interviewed and advised that he had briefed Morgan regarding the details of his involvement in the Agency-sponsored Castro assassination plots. Morgan's current association with Maheu, professional and/or personal, is unknown. Morgan is currently practicing law in the District of Columbia law firm of Welch and Morgan.

c. Joseph Shimon – No Office of Security subject file exists regarding Joseph Shiman. However, he is mentioned in the Johnny Roselli file as a personal friend of Roselli. It is further noted in the Roselli file that Shimon knew Maheu, but the nature and extent of their official/social relationship is unknown. Shimon is described as a former District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) inspector who was discharged from the D.C. MPD as a result of a conviction involving wiretapping activities.

4. To date, no decision has been made as to the type and form of response to be made to the Dade County Sheriff's Office request. Additionally, a formal request to the Office of Security has not been received. Office of Security files have been searched and pertinent information reviewed. Pending a decision as to what form the response, if any, will take, it is recommended that the Office of Security files containing information pertinent to the request by retained in a readily available status and no further action be taken at this time.

Curtis R. Rivers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tosh, there is a huge amount of information about both Black and Morgan available. Black was investigated very througly because of his business partnership with Baker, the Baker influence pedaling scandal and later because of other charges brought against Baker for at least one of his other clients.

Morgan and his role are documented in State Department documents, Church Committee documents and HSCA documents all of which resulted from the investigation of the CIA's use of Roselli.

Fred Black is also covered extensively in the autobiography of Roselli.

-- Larry

Tosh, here is what I have on Fred Black.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbakerF.htm

In 1976 the Select Committee on Intelligence Activities decided to recall Johnny Roselli. Soon afterwards Fred Black called him and warned him that Santos Trafficante had taken out a contract on his life and that the "Cubans were after him". Soon afterwards Roselli was murdered.

Black was later convicted and imprisoned for tax invasion. After he was released he was interviewed by Charles Rappleye and Ed Becker for their book, All American Mafioso: The Johnny Roselli Story (1995).

Tosh,  there is a huge amount of information about both Black and Morgan available.  Black was investigated very througly because of his business partnership with Baker,  the Baker influence pedaling scandal and later because of other charges brought against Baker for at least one of his other clients.

Morgan and his role are documented in State Department documents,  Church Committee documents and HSCA documents all of which resulted from the investigation of the CIA's use of Roselli.

Fred Black is also covered extensively in the autobiography of Roselli.

-- Larry

Thanks Larry. Why did'nt someone tell me about this information when I ask? It would have saved me a lot of leg work. Thanks again. Tosh

In 1976 the Select Committee on Intelligence Activities decided to recall Johnny Roselli. Soon afterwards Fred Black called him and warned him that Santos Trafficante had taken out a contract on his life and that the "Cubans were after him".  Soon afterwards Roselli was murdered.

Black was later convicted and imprisoned for tax invasion. After he was released he was interviewed by Charles Rappleye and Ed Becker for their book, All American Mafioso: The Johnny Roselli Story (1995).

Thanks John: I was not aware of all the information out there. I was not researching. I was prodding my memory about Black because I had confussed him with the Dallas Cubans and El Torres. I was just asking for help on the ID. I know or knew this person and I'm fairly sure he is one of the people I met at Mountain Lake at Hensely Field and Chance Vaught Aircraft. Over the years, for whatever reasons I have thought of him as Torres.

I think this person (Black) had something to do with the death of John Rosellie, or knows who did the job and why.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I will also hold some of my information close to my chest, until I know what and who, I am dealing with. Tosh

In 1976 the Select Committee on Intelligence Activities decided to recall Johnny Roselli. Soon afterwards Fred Black called him and warned him that Santos Trafficante had taken out a contract on his life and that the "Cubans were after him".  Soon afterwards Roselli was murdered.

Again Thanks for sharing this information, or pointing me to it. I am not a researcher, or writing a book. I just happened to have lived the events as a "operative" and would like to fill in a few blanks locked in my memory.... so that I might help others establish the facts..

Thanks again, Tosh

John's link on Fred Black bolsters the Barr McClellan story.

I'm looking forward to his paper on LBJ.

If Ed Morgan was Maheu's lawyer, that ties Hughes and Maheu in

tighter, like people were saying on another thread.

The big defense contract is pretty heavy, too.

Who is Rolanda Cubeles Secares?

I thought AMLASH was an acronym like JM/WAVE and ZR/RIFLE

but Tosh's file just calls Rolando Cubeles "Amlash" like its his name.

He's right after Artimes on the list.

What is the deal with these two?

Good thread.

Shanet

Edited by Shanet Clark

Shanet, CIA used crypts written communication "crypts" for individuals, for groups and for projects. Normally all CIA officers used crypts in internal communications and in their professional contacts.

Carlos Prio Socarres was a former Cuban President and one of the old school leaders among the Cubans, he helped finance Castro's overthrow of Batista and then went into exile. His surrogate political action man after that was Dr. Antonio de Verona. Verona's cript was AM/HAWL

Rolondo Cubela was a Cuban student leader who was pretty much a competitive leader to Castro during the overthow of Batista and became part of Castro's ruling clique. However he was recurited by the CIA and for a number of years was courted as a CIA asset; Cubela offered numerous times to assassinate Castro but the CIA was more interested in him organizing a coup. It is still a matter of debate whether he was sincere of a Castro double agent. His crypt was AM/LASH.

-- Larry

I thought AMLASH was an acronym like JM/WAVE and ZR/RIFLE

but Tosh's file just calls Rolando Cubeles "Amlash" like its his name.

Shanet

Shanet:

JM/WAVE = Operation Mongoose Hqtrs on the Univ of Miami South Campus

ZR/RIFLE = Executive Action

AM/LASH = individual human assassin: Cubela

That's why AM/LASH is basically the crypt name for Cubela, a person, while JM/WAVE and ZR/RIFLE are programs. But on a similar note to Cubela,

Try this one:

QJ/WIN = also an individual, but unlike Cubela, this is an actual pro - a real killer.

Tim

Shanet:

JM/WAVE = Operation Mongoose Hqtrs on the Univ of Miami South Campus

ZR/RIFLE = Executive Action

AM/LASH = individual human assassin: Cubela

QJ/WIN = also an individual, but unlike Cubela, this is an actual pro - a real killer.

Tim

Tim

The most famous was the program MK/ULTRA

That ties in with the paper I' ve sent in to John for the conference.

But what does Tosh's file really mean? These guys might have killed Roselli, right?

shanet

Rolondo Cubela was a Cuban student leader who was pretty much a competitive leader to Castro during the overthow of Batista and became part of Castro's ruling clique.  However he was recurited by the CIA and for a number of years was courted as a CIA asset;  Cubela offered numerous times to assassinate Castro but the CIA was more interested in him organizing a coup.  It is still a matter of debate whether he was sincere of a Castro double agent. His crypt was AM/LASH.

I think there is a good chance that Rolondo Cubela was a double-agent. I think I am right in saying that when Cubela was arrested by Castro for working with the CIA he was not executed. How long did he spend in prison? When did he die?

John, Cubela was not executed but spent several years in what was reportedly pretty light confinement - not exactly the sort of thing you would expect for someone who had offered to kill Castro for years. As I recall he was eventually released but I don't know when or if he is deceased.

It's important to know that Castro was extremely good at compromsing potential "traitors"; the records we have from AM/TRUNK and AM/WHIP tell us that Castro approached many of the less trusted members of his cadre and would tell them that he knew the CIA would be approaching themand that all they needed to do was report the fact to him and play along and there would be no problem. This worked really well and CIA eventually shut down the whole project because they realized that virtually everyone had been compromised and was under surveillance.

It's almost impossible that Castro did not suspect Cuebela or take some special precautions considering Cubela's relatively frequent foreign travel.

-- Larry

I would have imagined that Cuban double-agents would have known about the conspiracy to kill JFK. I have read a couple of books by Fabian Escalante (former head of Cuba’s counterintelligence body). Although they contain interesting information it does not suggest that the Cuban government was aware of the actual plot to kill JFK.

I would have thought the KGB would also have picked up some information on this. I believe their files are now open. Has anything been found in the KGB archives that shed any light on the assassination?

Thanks John: I was not aware of all the information out there. I was not researching. I was prodding my memory about Black because I had confussed him with the Dallas Cubans and El Torres. I was just asking for help on the ID. I know or knew this person and I'm fairly sure he is one of the people I met at Mountain Lake at Hensely Field and Chance Vaught Aircraft. Over the years, for whatever reasons I have thought of him as Torres.

I think this person (Black) had something to do with the death of John Rosellie, or knows who did the job and why.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I will also hold some of my information close to my chest, until I know what and who, I am dealing with. Tosh

John I have just briefed myself on the information your website provided to me. I want to think you for the link; I think anyone interested in the JFK matter should brief themselves on the background into Fred Black, Rosellie, and others. I am sure some will say I should have know these things. Perhaps I did. But from another view point. I hope you don't mind but I posted the following from your site. I think its important and should be followed up by those who are interested in the assassination of President Kennedy.

(sometimes people do not go and read the whole site)

"... 4) Drug War: Covert Money, Power & Policy: Neocolonialism (2004)

Colonel Trinidad Oliva was also the key CIA contact in the Guatemalan government, working under his half-brother, the defense minister. Trinidad Oliva coordinated all "foreign aid" coming through the CIA conduit ICA, the International Cooperation Administration, the forerunner of the Agency for International Development, AID.

Rosselli and Trinidad then helped the murderous old Gen. Miguel Ydígoras Fuentes, one of Úbico's assassins with close ties to mob partner Trujillo, to become head of state. Mario Sandoval Alarcón. "the father of Latin America's death squads," organized the right-wing of Castillo's party into the National Liberation Movement and hired himself out to Trinidad and Rosselli.

The same year that Johnny Rosselli helped the CIA engineer the change in the Guatemalan government, he was asked by his Syndicate associates to put together Giancana in Chicago, Costello in New York, Lansky in Miami, and Marcello in New Orleans for the huge $50 million Tropicana construction project in Las Vegas. According to Fred Black, a political fixer who was close to Rosselli, Bobby Baker and Lyndon Johnson, Rosselli's influence was such that he gave orders to the Dorfmans, who controlled the Teamsters' huge Central States Pension Fund. During the 50's and 60's, it was Johnny Rosselli who "set up protection" in Las Vegas.

Throughout 1956 and 57 Rosselli travelled back and forth from Mexico City, the planning center for all CIA operations in Latin America, and Guatemala City. An experienced ICA operative noted that "John had access to everyone and everything that was going on there. He had an open door at the embassy in Guatemala, and in Costa Rica. He was in there plenty of times. I know because I saw him. He supplied information to the government, and had a hand in a lot of the intrigues that were going on."

This means, operationally, that Johnny Rosselli's interests became the CIA's interests. "Throughout Latin America," notes Frank McNeil, a junior political officer in the Guatemalan Embassy in 1960, "there were two American governments - one intelligence and one official." McNeil's boss, Ambassador John Muccio, learned of the Bay of Pigs invasion force being trained in Guatemala only after the story broke in The New York Times. As John Kennedy found out to his chagrin, Rosselli, his Syndicate and Batistiano allies, had more operational clout than the State Department...".

Again, thanks to John Simkin. Tosh Plumlee

John I have just briefed myself on the information your website provided to me. I want to think you for the link; I think anyone interested in the JFK matter should brief themselves on the background into Fred Black, Rosellie, and others. I am sure some will say I should have know these things. Perhaps I did. But from another view point. I hope you don't mind but I posted the following from your site. I think its important and should be followed up by those who are interested in the assassination of President Kennedy.

(sometimes people do not go and read the whole site)

"... 4) Drug War: Covert Money, Power & Policy: Neocolonialism (2004)

Colonel Trinidad Oliva was also the key CIA contact in the Guatemalan government, working under his half-brother, the defense minister. Trinidad Oliva coordinated all "foreign aid" coming through the CIA conduit ICA, the International Cooperation Administration, the forerunner of the Agency for International Development, AID.

Rosselli and Trinidad then helped the murderous old Gen. Miguel Ydígoras Fuentes, one of Úbico's assassins with close ties to mob partner Trujillo, to become head of state. Mario Sandoval Alarcón. "the father of Latin America's death squads," organized the right-wing of Castillo's party into the National Liberation Movement and hired himself out to Trinidad and Rosselli.

The same year that Johnny Rosselli helped the CIA engineer the change in the Guatemalan government, he was asked by his Syndicate associates to put together Giancana in Chicago, Costello in New York, Lansky in Miami, and Marcello in New Orleans for the huge $50 million Tropicana construction project in Las Vegas. According to Fred Black, a political fixer who was close to Rosselli, Bobby Baker and Lyndon Johnson, Rosselli's influence was such that he gave orders to the Dorfmans, who controlled the Teamsters' huge Central States Pension Fund. During the 50's and 60's, it was Johnny Rosselli who "set up protection" in Las Vegas.

Throughout 1956 and 57 Rosselli travelled back and forth from Mexico City, the planning center for all CIA operations in Latin America, and Guatemala City. An experienced ICA operative noted that "John had access to everyone and everything that was going on there. He had an open door at the embassy in Guatemala, and in Costa Rica. He was in there plenty of times. I know because I saw him. He supplied information to the government, and had a hand in a lot of the intrigues that were going on."

This means, operationally, that Johnny Rosselli's interests became the CIA's interests. "Throughout Latin America," notes Frank McNeil, a junior political officer in the Guatemalan Embassy in 1960, "there were two American governments - one intelligence and one official." McNeil's boss, Ambassador John Muccio, learned of the Bay of Pigs invasion force being trained in Guatemala only after the story broke in The New York Times. As John Kennedy found out to his chagrin, Rosselli, his Syndicate and Batistiano allies, had more operational clout than the State Department...".

Again, thanks to John Simkin. Tosh Plumlee

P.S. to post #14:

Fred Black of Washington, D.C. was a lobbyist for North American Aircraft and business associate with Bobby Baker and Clifford Jones. Black has confirmed the connection between Jones, McWillie, Baker, Ruby and ex-Cuban President, Prio.

After November 22, l963, Black publicly told many people in Washington, D.C. he had informed J. Edgar Hoover that an income tax conviction against him must be reversed or he would blow the lid off Washington with revelations of the assassination conspirators. Lobbyist Black prevailed upon J. Edgar Hoover to admit error before the Supreme Court where his case was reversed in 1966. Hoover did well to rescue Black from the conviction. Fred Black, while socially drinking with acquaintances in Washington has, on numerous occasions, been reported to have told of J. Edgar Hoover's and Bobby Baker's involvement in the assassination through Las Vegas, Miami and Havana gamblers. He named some of these as the Fox Brothers of Miami, McLaney of Las Vegas, New Orleans, Havana and Bahamas, Cliff Jones of Las Vegas, Carlos Prio Socarras of Havana, Bobby Baker and others. He stated there was also a connection in that some of the gamblers were Russian emigres.

Don Reynolds, Washington, D.C. businessman and associate of Bobby Baker and who had a number of questionable business transactions with Walter Jenkins on behalf of Lyndon Johnson, also gave testimony concerning Bobby Baker's involvement with the principals and he has stated on numerous public occasions that this group was behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Black was a stockholder with Baker in the Waikiki Savings & Loan Association in Honolulu. The other members were Clifford Jones and his law partner, Louis Weiner. There was the Farmers and Merchants State Bank in Tulsa where Jones joined Baker and Black in a stock deal and brought in a Miami pal by the name of Benny Sigelbaum, a courier of funds and documents to the Swiss banks for Permindex and the Syndicate.

Of all the enterprises, none could compare with the controversial Serv-U

I think this also should be considered by any professional investigator. Perhaps it has. This information seems to fit into things I remember from my Dallas days and my operational days. Thanks again Tosh Plumlee