The Education Forum

View from the Sniper's Nest

American and British political cartoonists on Chamberlain...as The Greatest Generation saw him.

post-6253-0-69204800-1394852459.jpg

post-6253-0-68574700-1394852483.jpg

post-6253-0-47157000-1394852503_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-05652400-1394852522_thumb.jpg

I don't dislike the man. "Peace at any price" was about the only course open to a British PM without the backup of direct US intervention - for whatever deep-politics reason it was withheld. Should Eastern Europe have been traded-off for the West? What were the military alternatives to support the moral alternatives?

I also don't feel that Kennedy was an "appeaser."

But the brolly stays in the picture - as it may well have for Curtis LeMay.

Edited by David Andrews

Thanks for the cartoons Dave

Is Louie Witt alive?

If not is there an obit?

I'd like to know who told Witt that the umbrella was a symbol of appeasement as related to Chanberlain and Joe Kennedy and what were the previous uses of the umbrella as a protest against the Kwnnedys.

BK

"I would have never put anyone in the Texas School Book Depository with so many locations that were more advantageous..."

I had never seen Dealey Plaza until last fall. It is, as many people say, smaller than it looks in photos. The overwhelming thought I had was, if I were going to attempt something of that nature, the TSBD is the last place I'd try it from. Dealey Plaza had several very opportune spots - no one seriously would choose the 6th floor for that purpose.