The Education Forum

Who Is This Man?

At 1:05:35-36 of this video, a short muscular man wearing sunglasses can be seen walking away from the group of men surrounding Oswald. Over the years many people have speculated that this man is Chauncey Holt, but a few years ago James Richards said that the guy was an anti-Castro Cuban with ties to Alpha 66 and the DRE. James said that he didn't know the guy's name.

In the video, it looks like the guy was "standing guard" for Oswald, but started walking away from the group when he realized he was going to be caught on film.

I'm posting this to try to revive interest in this mysterious guy, and to try to find out who he was.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

Sorry no idea. But this was lost in the Trejo threads. I think we can ID this fellow. Sunken cheeks,eye shape, pronounced widows peak hairline,thinness. I think ID of this one solid. (and if a Rogue CIA guy could put together Parade route and leaflet handout - I give up !!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

William Shelly in red circle
================
Edited by Steven Gaal

[...]

We're talking about different guys, Steven.

The guy I'm talking about doesn't look anything like your William Shelley.

The guy I'm talking about is the "Chauncey Holt" figure on the far right starting at 1:05:35-36. He's very short and muscular and he's wearing a white short-sleeved shirt and sunglasses and he's holding his arms at his side as though he's getting ready to attack somebody or defend himself.

Would you please go to 1:05:36 and "freeze" the frames so you'll know who I'm talking about? He's visible on the far right for only a split second. It looks like he was standing next to the guy in the dark colored short-sleeved shirt who's reading a flyer (pilot Leroy Young, according to Chauncey Holt), but then started walking away from him when he realized he was being caught on film.

I'm not talking about the "Charles Rogers" figure who is much closer to the camera and who walks right in front it with his head down, apparently reading one of LHO's fliers as he walks.

Nor am I talking about the guy (whom I think you are talking about) who is wearing a suit and tie and hiding his face with his cigarette-holding hand at 1:05:40. (FWIW, I don't think that's Shelley. I think it's Gordon Novell...)

NOTE: I just realized that the guy I'm talking about is only partially visible in this "Two Kennedy's" version. I'll try to find an un-cropped version of the film clip, if there is one, and post it. Regardless, in this video version at least you can see that he is now walking away from the group.

PS--

The guy I'm talking about is standing on the far right in this frame. In this frame I think he hasn't started walking yet because his legs are spread far apart and it looks like he's standing there in a defensive posture.

As I said earlier, James Richards didn't think this guy is Chauncey Holt, but instead an anti-Castro Cuban with ties to Alpha 66 and the DRE.

JFKholt2.JPG

Edited by Thomas Graves

Nor am I talking about the guy (whom I think you are talking about) who is wearing a suit and tie and hiding his face with his cigarette-holding hand at 1:05:40. (FWIW, I don't think that's Shelley. I think it's Gordon Novell...) // THOMAS GRAVES

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The fellow has subtle wrinkles ,so to old for Novell. To me its Shelley.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find an un-cropped version of the film clip?

I have been trying to do that for quite some time. Unfortunately without succes. In the photo most of the left arm of the guy with sunglasses is visible, which isn't the case in any of the filmclips I find.

According to this document, (page 2 below) the still was made by Johann Rush, who also filmed the scene.

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/O%20Disk/Oswald%20Lee%20Harvey/Literature%20Distribution/WDSU/Item%2029.pdf

I used to think that the sunglass guy looked like Joannides. which would fit the Alpha66 and DRE connection.

post-7025-0-16981100-1416761969.jpg

But since I found this version, https://www.wpafilmlibrary.com/videos/108485 (at aprox.1:24),

I tend to believe, that he isn't a part of the group at all.

To me, it looks like he is just coming out of the building behind the ladies, as he moves slightly to the left before turning and walking away to the right.

Uncut and uncropped footage, if such exists, might tell us more.

/John