The Education Forum

1883 - US Govt Hosp. - Cold War 'experiments' - slightly odd, man named Lee Harvey Oswald, who dated Dr. Mary Sherman - who died

http://apleasanthouse.com/2013/05/hysterical-amnesia.html

HYSTERICAL AMNESIA
05 • 02 • 13

There’s this strange building in New Orleans- really more a complex of buildings.
I used to live a few blocks away and would walk by and wonder.
So, I started to do a bit of snooping: I jogged right up to the gate and walked in- without a camera.

That was then.
This is now: NO ONE ALLOWED!
I’ve tried everything I know how: walls are too tall to scale, cameras are everywhere, gates are all locked, no one walking close by inside the fence, uniformed security everywhere.
Double
So off to the Internet I go.
Turns out this property has a very weird history.
1831-
This land, owned by Bernard deMarigny, who is credited for bringing a dice game to America from France that would later become known as Craps, is compelled to sell. He bet his wad and lost.
1832-
Now owned by Dominique Francois Burthe, the land is subdivided, and sold off, or leased. One large parcel on the river is leased to Jacques Fortier.
1834-
Mr. Fortier (who is the owner of the famous Plantation that was the place that put-down the, little known but largest slave revolt in US history in 1811) has set-up a brickyard, complete with blast furnace, stock yard, river access, overseer’s home, and plenty of slave hovels because the slave revolt that I mentioned above didn’t go the way the slaves had hoped for.
1851-
Mr. Fortier dies, and his widow gets out of the brick business. The land and buildings are abandoned.
1883-
The United States government buys the large parcel and builds a Marine Hospital. The overseer’s house and blast furnace remain.
1890-
The Marine Hospital is used as a convalescence’s home for Civil War veterans.
1891-
Several ‘cottages’ are built on the parcel to house veterans who will be staying on because they have no legs, are morphine addicts, and keep reliving the Battle of Vicksburg- even in their sleep.
FAST FORWARD
The property and buildings go through several changes of hands resulting in it becoming a Psychiatric facility for mostly young people with “severe mental illness”, of which it remains (now operated by the LSU Health Services Center).
BUT NOT BEFORE
The US government decides to use this place to conduct a few highly classified experiments during the cold war of the 1950/60’s like:
Creating, by accident, a contaminated polio vaccine that was administered to children, and after which, the government thought it would be wise to develop an antidote. I don’t know what happened to those poor kids who got the bad dose so don’t ask.
Was frequented by an obscure, slightly odd, young man named Lee Harvey Oswald, who was dating a researcher named Dr. Mary Sherman.
Was a laboratory that was assigned to research developing biological weapons, using monkeys.
Was the place where the first of a very unusual monkey was shipped, that developed a baffling condition in which the monkey’s ENTIRE immune system shut down. Can you spell A-I-D-S?
In addition, many indigent people worked at the facility over the years and when they died, they were cremated in the blast furnace- so were Dr. Mary and her monkeys.
Sort of.
In 1964, Dr. Mary Sherman was found in her apartment (down the road) having had the police called by a mysterious man, and whereupon, after their arrival, they found she was nearly dead with half of her body simply missing. Like GONE.
Turns out there had been a little accident in the radiation lab.
Who moved her is still unknown, as is her case- it’s still an unsolved MURDER, open on the books here in New Orleans, but don’t worry…

I’m on the case.
house.jpg

this is what led me to that story: 2 years ago the Paine, 1026 N. Beckley, right? house was for sale for $500,000.

http://www.housekaboodle.com/lee-harvey-oswald-house-in-dallas-is-500000/

oh. my bad. i thought everything i read on the internet had to be true.

you mean this is an ambiguous tale? what with such an official looking website and all...? ;)

oh. my bad. i thought everything i read on the internet had to be true.

you mean this is an ambiguous tale? what with such an official looking website and all...? ;)

If you read the existing books with an eye toward citations of evidence which can be verified, you'll find that there is virtually nothing in terms of a solid foundation of evidence of even the most basic aspects of the theory. I can't find anything to support it, and my research partner, an expert on the Sherman case has found much to challenge the existing books. At the least, one should be cautious.

i was just kidding, Stephen (hence the *wink* ;) ) - I was pretty sure it was "embellished". Really just found it kind of interesting, enjoyable in a "pseudo-fantastical" sort of way...

i didn't have any plans to spend any real time researching it.

this is what led me to that story: 2 years ago the Paine, 1026 N. Beckley, right? house was for sale for $500,000.

the Paines lived in Irving, Genn.

the Paines lived in Irving, Genn.

right. i got mixed up - i was thinking of Ruth as his landlord when I saw this house and didn't stop to think of the location.

oops.