The Education Forum

RESEARCH THREADS

The administrators are announcing the introduction of Research Threads.

A research thread is one that is led by a member. That member writes a summary academic type document on an issue in JFK research. These summary documents are stored and locked in the Research forum. There is a hyperlink from this document to the research thread. These threads will most often be pinned - though obviously depending on the number research threads that may constitute a problem. Therefore each Research Thread is headed by a hyperlink to the summary document. This allows members to - not only read - but also copy and paste portions which will help them in the debate and discussion.

a) Research threads are very different from normal threads - they are prefaced by a research document.

B) Normal threads allow branching to different related topics within the same thread. That will not be allowed on a research thread. the research document has spelled out the subject and direction and therefore any such posts will be hidden.

c) It is assumed that participants will have read the summary document. Posts that demonstrate that there has been no account taken of the summary document will be hidden. The reason is that a Research thread attempting to examine an issue and - if possible - break ground and therefore divergence on to different areas of thinking hamper the purpose of a research thread.

d) Research threads are about research, debate and discussion and argument. Therefore any member who just posts lists screeds of information and quotations from historical sources will be hidden. The purpose of a research thread is one where we see members actively arguing and debating what fellow members have stated and argued. Members might say "is that not already happening." We would argue that it is not happening. There are many cases of information dumping without an analysis of that information and why it supports or contradicts a particular position.

e) The writer of the summary document will be deemed to lead the thread.

How successful these threads will be only time will tell. But the purpose of a Research Thread is to make the effort in the hope to break new ground.

The first Research Thread will shortly appear on the subject of Prayer Man.

Any member who would like to lead a Research Thread please contact a member of the admin team. Aside from leading the thread, the member will be expected to write a an academic summary document covering both sides of the topic and suggesting fruitful areas of research and debate.

Research Threads are not anticipated to replace the normal threads that are main focus of this forum.Nor are Research Threads considered superior to the normal thread. They are not. But they are a different way members can argue and debate the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Good to see the management is exploring new things.

Cut down on pinned topics taking up space on page 1 by grouping them into pinned subforums.

Create a members only lounge for BS.

This is a great idea.

I've been frustrated by the fact that, after making a notable discovery, it gets buried in the thread... a thread that could potentially go on (and off) for years. I've seen that happen to myself and to others.

I've also been frustrated when searching for what has probably already been discovered and documented by some person or a group of people, but I don't know where to find it.

So hopefully one purpose of the summary document is to be a depository of notable findings and conclusions, as well as items of continued contention. The name "summary document" does seem to suggest this to be the case.

Sandy,

My understanding of the summery document is that it should " be a depository of notable findings and conclusions, as well as items of continued contention."

What it should not be is "one sided." I am sure no summary document will ever be like that.

As you say Sandy these threads should be able to prevent discoveries getting "buried" with information that has nothing to do with the thread. That is certainly the intention.

I'm all for it, and it is my hope that it serves to keep threads from being sidetracked (from the guy who is probably more guilty than anyone else of sidetracking threads).

Robert,

The sidetracking of RESEARCH THREADS will be scrupulously monitored. I do not know to whom you refer but such efforts will be immediately hidden when discovered. We do not monitor such behaviour on the normal threads, but a RESEARCH THREAD, by its very nature cannot allow the efforts of any to divert the leader's intent as demonstrated in the summary document. Two examples of such behaviour that will not be tolerated on a RESEARCH THREAD is the posting of screeds of data - even though it may be historically accurate - that has no analysis and argument attached with it. And Second the posting of data that is not relevant to the topic under discussion OR the posting of data without explanation which the poster believes argues their case.

None of the above is outlawed on normal threads - even though to other members it can be irritating. RESEARCH THREADS are focused on argument and debate based on evidence and relevant to the leader's topic as outlined in his/her summary document.

LOL I was referring to myself, James. Sometimes, in my zeal to uncover something new, I have sidetracked and hijacked a thread and only realized I have done so when someone points it out to me.

PrayerMan is a great choice for a first topic, and I would hope that some of the discussion would be about locating the original Darnell film. As I understand the situation, the Sixth Floor Museum currently houses a 1st-generation copy made that assassination weekend. I have no clue as to where the familiar internet copy came from.

It is conceivable that the 1st-generation copy would suffice for the level of clarity desired; a scan of that should be acquired as soon as manageable. The original would settle the ongoing debate, to the best of our ability. The Museum seems to me the best place to make an initial inquiry as to where the original might be located.

There is some WBAP footage of that era at the Willis Library at the University of North Texas in Denton. But after a preliminary on-line look at the collection, I'm skeptical that the Darnell film is there. Somebody could call the Special Collections librarian listed on their website and he/she/it may know more than the Sixth Floor Museum.

The Darnell film may have made its way to the NBC Universal Archives, whose physical location is unknown to me. WBAP-TV (KXAS) Reel 7 is on-line at

http://www.nbcuniversalarchives.com/nbcuni/clip/51A02395_s01.do

and contains some of the Wiegman footage at about 18:00, as well as an extended take of the Ft. Worth breakfast, but no sign of Darnell (although I didn't look through a whole lot of that footage).

In any case, even without incorporating this into the PrayerMan research topic discussion, I wanted to put this information out there.

Hi, when I said "a lounge for BS" I had just been reading a discussion on a forum where the owner describes it, somewhat cheekily, as a place where all the stuff that doesn't have to do with the public topic directly happens instead in a 'members lounge'.

A hidden to visitors, a members 'room' with many 'lounge rooms" off it. All members can 'enter' the main 'lounge' to see lists of topics, some you can post in others not or partially. Some may be discussions between two or three people. It may be hidden or open for guest members. You can create and delete your own however long temporary topics. Maybe to start with a limit of 15 (hidden or visible) topics in the members only area per member.

There is also, off the main lounge, a private research room for every member where posts and topics can be prepared and saved without posting in the public forum. You can invite guests to have a look, preview the topic in the members main longe, whatever, until ready to post.

edit add : I just realised that this private research room can simply be a topic where you have the power to hide, lock and give permission to, and rename the topic you can save it as a topic and keep working on it later, preview it, name it and post on public forum.

Edited by John Dolva