The Education Forum

What my father's cousin said about President John Kennedy

Hi Scott,

Very nice article. I especially found the reference to the president's decision to act rather than abdicate the leadership role to be quite accurate in terms of the true historical context surrounding the crisis. While many certainly disagreed with his course of action, I for one believe that president Kennedy possessed foresight that few of his contemporaries in politics or the military were able, (or willing), to grasp. Those two weeks were truly significant in terms of testing of our democratic principles. We were very fortunate to have John F. Kennedy as our president during this critical time in our history.

Regards,

Craig C.

Hi Scott,

Very nice article. I especially found the reference to the president's decision to act rather than abdicate the leadership role to be quite accurate in terms of the true historical context surrounding the crisis. While many certainly disagreed with his course of action, I for one believe that president Kennedy possessed foresight that few of his contemporaries in politics or the military were able, (or willing), to grasp. Those two weeks were truly significant in terms of testing of our democratic principles. We were very fortunate to have John F. Kennedy as our president during this critical time in our history.

Regards,

Craig C.

Hi Craig,

I completely agree, many may disagree, but I don't believe anyone would have had the courage to stand fast to their conviction. I believe if it had been Nixon or anyone else in office as president, they would have buckled under the military pressure of instigating a war.

Mr. Irwin says it best when he measures up Mr. Kennedy in his role of leadership. Now, this praise I'm transposing for Kennedy doesn't mean I could be fully correct in what I say, but on the other hand. I also wholeheartedly believe that had Mr. Kennedy not reacted in the manner of which he did as a true leader should have, I would not be here today.

Scott