The Education Forum

David Talbot's list of essential books on JFK assassination

David Talbot wrote  on Facebook today:

What should you read to enlighten yourself about the Kennedy assassination, as the CIA and the news media continue to keep America in the dark? Here's my top ten list -- and yes I shamelessly begin with my own two books, because I do believe they offer the most readable and comprehensive look at how and why JFK was killed and the crime was covered up. I know I've left out some very worthy books in the long line of scholarship on the subject because I've limited myself to ten.... But feel free to suggest your own:
1. Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Era
2. The Devil’s Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA and the Rise of America's Secret Government
3. JFK and the Unspeakable, by James Douglass, the awful truth, in beautiful prose
4. The Last Investigation, by Gaeton Fonzi -- a riveting inside look at the 1970s House Select Committee on Assassinations probe, which found evidence of a conspiracy
5. Breach of Trust, by Gerald McKnight -- the best book on the Warren Commission
6. All-American Mafioso, by Charles Rappleye --no, the Mafia didn't mastermind the assassination and coverup, but they played a key role under the direction of the CIA. And mobster Johnny Rosselli was killed as Congress began investigating in the '70s because he knew too much.
7. Reclaiming Parkland, by James Di Eugenio -- a brilliant dissection of the Kennedy disinformation complex by one of the most savvy researchers to emerge after Oliver Stone's "JFK," the co-editor with Lisa Pease of the essential '90s journal, Probe.
8. Dallas ’63, by Peter Dale Scott, the latest volume by the grand old man of Kennedy research
9. Oswald and the CIA, by John Newman -- a former military intelligence analyst who knows how to follow the Oswald espionage trail. Also check out Newman's latest books on the subject.
10. Libra, by Don DeLillo, the best fictional imagining of Oswald and Dallas

See More
Image may contain: one or more people and text

I've been recommending :Libra on this Forum for years.  People hold prejudices ("judgments before the facts") against it because it's a novel, and because they mistakenly believe it's an anti-conspiracy, lone-nut treatise, which it is not.  Libra  does not comprehend everything about Oswald or the assassination, but it is a work of incredible atmosphere about the Oswald years, and, not incidentally, great commentary about assassination research and the pervasiveness of the assassination in American culture.  If any aspects of the assassination or the Oswald life have felt nightmarish to you - here are those nightmares on the page.  An enviable achievement, whatever complaints its lapses may provoke.  Go ye and be provoked.

Edited by David Andrews

12 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

The formatting is insane on this post. For some reason the pictures of the book covers are extending down and underneath the comment box!

I've read Brothers, The Devil's Chessboard, and Dallas '63, but don't own them yet.

I have JFK And The Unspeakable, The Last Investigation, Reclaiming Parkland, and Oswald And The CIA. All excellent books. It's an honor to be on a forum with some of the authors.

I haven't read Breach Of Trust or All-American Mafioso. The latter sounds interesting. I've heard Rosselli's name mentioned and his death certainly is a red flag for those interested in the JFK assassination.

I owned Libra as a teenager, and I didn't get a whole lot out of it, to be honest. I was hungry for hard facts, and from what I remember, a lot of that book was between-the-lines. But it's been years, and it would probably be interesting to try and read it again.

As the person who posted this thread, I don't think the formatting is insane. I copied the text and photos of four books as they appeared on Facebook and posted these here as copied. I had no control as to how they ultimately appeared in the thread. Software glitches beyond anyone's control occasionally occur.