The Education Forum

an honest question, please

Helle everybody,
I have a question regarding this video :

When exactly was it filmed ? What exact date ?
I have read conflicting articles and sources in books or on the Internet. Sometimes researchers just write "August 1963".
My question is : do you agree that the camera operator was Mike Lala, from WDSU ?
And was is August 21 or August 12 ? (If I am not mistaken -- I might be -- Posner says it is August, 12 and Martin Shackelford says it is August, 21)
Thanks in advance to those who can provide solid and acurate answers.

Edited by François Carlier

Francois,

Several sources I found online state the date as August 21 and the cameraman as Mike Lala. None of these are what I would call "original" sources if that is what you are looking for. One is Denis Morisette's edited version of Shackleford's work. But I think if the date were wrong in Shackleford's original, he would probably know and change it. The other is a letter from Johann Rush to Harold Weisberg from 1982 listing the dates of various films and again, I think Rush would know. Perhaps others will have more specific information.

Edited by W. Tracy Parnell

Thank you very much.
But then again, here is my problem :
I already know this :
August 17th: Oswald is interviewed on local radio WDSU by journalist William Stuckey.
August 21st : William Stuckey invites Oswald to the radio for a debate with Carlos Bringuier and Edward Butler.
I have heard the two radio shows and read their transcripts on line.
That I know.
It is the television interview that I am not sure about. If, as you say, the television interview took place on August 21, then it had to have taken place just after the radio show, since, according to Posner in his book "Case closed", Stuckey took Oswald to a bar that evening.
Well, OK, August 21 suits me fine. And you're right, Johann Rush should know ! So I'm satisfied.

13 hours ago, François Carlier said:

When exactly was it filmed? What exact date?
I have read conflicting articles and sources in books or on the Internet. Sometimes researchers just write "August 1963".
[...]
And was it August 21 or August 12? (If I am not mistaken -- I might be -- Posner says it is August 12 and Martin Shackelford says it is August 21.)
Thanks in advance to those who can provide solid and accurate answers.

Lee Harvey Oswald's WDSU-TV interview in New Orleans definitely occurred just after his radio debate with Bringuier and Butler on Wednesday, August 21, 1963. (Confirmed via the documents shown below.)

RH-Excerpt-Regarding-Oswald-TV-Appearanc

WC Vol. 11, Page 175....

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh11/html/WC_Vol11_0093a.htm

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, François Carlier said:

Thank you very much, David.
However, I own Vincent Bugliosi's book, so I suppose that what you are saying publicly here is that I should have looked up the information myself...😉

Well, Francois, my #1 Rule of Thumb is to always go to "Reclaiming History" first whenever I want to look up any information relating to the JFK case. And about 95% of the time, I'll find something in that book on the sub-topic I'm searching for.

Edited by David Von Pein