The Education Forum

Oscars Last Call: RFK Family On ‘Green Book’

Oscars Last Call: RFK Family On ‘Green Book’

https://deadline.com/2019/02/robert-kennedy-family-green-book-response-hear-audio-don-shirley-tony-lip-confirm-film-storyline-1202558236/

David Talbot wrote on Facebook today:

This is a remarkable background article about one of the most holy-xxxx (!) scenes in Academy Award Best Picture "Green Book." As the film shows, Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy intervened at a scary moment to free African-American piano virtuoso Don "Doc" Shirley and his Italian- American chauffeur Tony "Lip" Vallelonga from the clutches of West Virginia sheriffs. Shirley and Vallelonga were stopped for "speeding" during his concert tour of the South, but actually the lo...cal cops objected to a white man driving a black man through their racist jurisdiction. According to Doc Shirley, whose recorded memories of the trip are featured in this article, he phoned RFK's secretary from the West Virginia jail -- where his and Vallelonga's fates were in jeopardy -- and appealed to Kennedy for help. Not long afterwards, according to Shirley, the West Virginia sheriff got a phone call from the attorney general of the United States and he quickly freed both men.

This amazing intervention by Attorney General Kennedy took place just days before his brother, President Kennedy, flew to Dallas, where this enlightened co-presidency of two brave brothers ended in gunfire.

In addition to Shirley's own audio memories of the incident, this Deadline Hollywood article also features very touching remarks about "Green Book" by RFK's widow Ethel and two of their sons, Bobby Jr. and Max.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Green Book is the best movie I’ve seen in a long time. When the first negative story appeared, quoting some Dr. Shirley family member saying it didn’t happen that way, that Shirley and Tony Lip were never really that close, I tried to fact check it. The first thing I noticed was that I’d never heard of the rag that published it. I’m really pleased that the Academy didn’t fall for the negative stories. 

Contrast the way Green Book was covered to The Post, historical revisionism of the worst kind, and few journalists bothered to look at, much less talk about, who the real Katherine Graham was. I cut Spielberg some slack because it was a movie about a strong heroic female character, and so it served some inspirational purpose even if it was not based on historical fact.