The Education Forum

My letter to Rep Omar

On 5/2/2019 at 11:03 PM, Rob Couteau said:

There was such a standard of excellence that he imposed upon himself during his administration (I assume this is what you mean by that statement). You can see it and sense it in everything he did, from big to small, whether it was during a press conference quoting the ancient Greeks or when dealing with complex issues of domestic strife or issues abroad. And that includes how he dealt with, and took responsibility for, his own mistakes. But for me personally, his foreign policy (both in practice and in vision) remains the single most interesting part of the JFK story. There was a real brilliance there. Hopefully at some distant point in the future people will be just as interested in his Tibet policy (and the exciting story of how Galbraith helped to steer his canoe through such troubled waters) or in his innovative work in Africa as they will in his Cuba or Vietnam policy. And I hope too that if the JFK legacy is ever rescued from the historical museum that it is now ensconced in, it will serve as a model for future politicians who also want to think outside the box. But admittedly that is a tall order, as the oligarchy has never seemed more threatening than it is today. This is an amusing quote about JFK that I feel captures something about him: "He had a capacity for backing off and watching himself perform, and later commenting on what he’d seen and heard with a quick, half-sublimated sense of humor that often made him seem like a pillar of sanity in the thieving, swinish chaos of American politics. He seemed like the only man who knew what was happening, and although there was rarely any way to guess what he might decide to do about it, there was always the chance that he might find an opening to do something right." -- Hunter S. Thompson.

Just wanted to say kudos on this post.  It says a lot generally neglected.  The standard of excellence you mention, or, professionalism was a one of a kind not seen before or duplicated since.  The dedication to serving the people who elected him, not just the big donor's is unmatched. 

Just now, Ron Bulman said:

The dedication to serving the people who elected him

Great point - I'm sure the oligarchy that assassinated him considered this to be "criminal." Because he worked for us instead of them.

Edited by Rob Couteau

16 minutes ago, Rob Couteau said:

Great point - I'm sure the oligarchy that assassinated him considered this to be "criminal." Because he worked for us instead of them.

Possibly at the time an oligarchy, including the military.  Since a plutocracy.  The own what 98-99% of the media now, and in essence the military.