The Education Forum

The Bay of Pigs Thing

Well I went to college at both Okla State and the University of New Mexico...so that's Cowboys and Lobos.

There will be a print copy but for some strange reason Amazon has only allowed the publisher to list the Kindle for pre-order.  However both print and eBook formats should be available on April 17.  

The ways of Amazon are mysterious, nothing every seems to work quite the same way twice.  

Since I went off topic here, did you ever eat or have a beer at Milly's Bar and Grill?

As a distraction after not so super Tuesday I pulled Walt's book off the shelf this evening for the first time in years.  

"When I was playing for Dallas I asked Darrell Royal, coach of the Texas Longhorns, why didn't you recruit me?"  "Well, we looked at you and you weren't any good."  One of his high school coaches said OSU must be "pretty hard up".  "So you see, the reason I got that one scholarship offer was not because of my football prowess but because I worked the graveyard shift at the American (Pea) Nut Company (on Friday and Saturday nights)."  Walt's dad was friends with the owner, who's brother was Governor of New Mexico, who had a friend at OSU, he didn't know this at the time.

In 1966 when the Cowboy was drafted in the 5th round by the Cowboy's, Gil Brandt came to Stillwater to negotiate a contract.  "When Gil Brandt slithered into my life."  Walt was hoping for maybe $5000, when Gil offered 15K and a new car he was taken aback. "When I got my breath back I asked, there's two other things I want".  What's that asked Brandt.  Can you fly my mom and dad to the East-West Shrine game to see me play?"  They had driven to every High School and College game he ever had  (e.g. leave after work Friday, drive to Boulder Co., 700 miles, drive home after the game on Saturday).  Gil said sure, what else.  "A two horse in line trailer."  "A what?"  Walt explained.  Gil called Tex Schram, "If it's not too expensive..."  So Walt got a green and white 66 GTO, and a matching two horse in line trailer.  Which he'd pull through the Dairy Queen in Lewisville, population 2000 then, in 2010 95,290.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Nope, Milly's doesn't ring a bell but I have to admit not being out that much in Stillwater at that point in time.  It was probably fair to say OSU was pretty hard up in football.  When I got there in 1965 if anybody asked about football the standard response was just to shake your head and start talking about either wrestling or basketball.

That GTO would sure have helped my social life though...