The Education Forum

For Jack White: Inspector Kelley

Ron Ecker

Amen to that, Ron. By the way, John Armstrong thinks  you may have found found something valuable in your comments about Inspector Kelley. John has 2 or more documents saying that Kelley was at the interrogation, and if he TESTIFIED that he was not, that may be significant. (John used nothing in his book unless it could be verified by 2 different documents or witnesses).

Jack,

I’ve gone through the docs on John’s Harvey and Lee CD relative to Oswald in custody. The only doc I found on the interrogations was Nov 22-23-52, which is page 9 of Fritz’s narrative, describing the interrogation of 10:35 am, 11/23. Fritz states:

“Both Mr. Bookhout, of the FBI, and Mr. Kelley, and the Marshall asked Oswald some questions during this interview.

“Oswald was placed back in jail at 11:33 am. At 12:35 pm Oswald was brought to the office for another interview with Inspector Kelley and some of the other officers and myself.” Fritz goes on to ask Oswald about the backyard photograph of him holding a rifle.

This doc is cited in the book’s text as a source on Fritz asking Oswald about the backyard photograph.

Did John simply confuse the two dates in placing Kelley there on 11/22? The reproduced doc (Fritz's page 9) on the CD is undated, so only the times of day given indicate which day is being referred to. At a glance it would be easy to make a mistake on which day Fritz is talking about.

You say that John has other docs, which indicates there was no mistake. I can’t comment on any docs not on the CD. But I would like to say that if I wrote an almost 1,000-page book, as fully documented as John’s, I hate to think about how many mistakes I would make. I suspect that it’s humanly possible not to make some mistakes in such a massive work. But I would certainly like to see any docs that state that Kelley was there during the day on 11/22, because he testified he was not.

Ron

Ron... John has thousands of documents not referred to in the book or on the CD. He has (in storage now) about a hundred 4-inch 3-ring notebooks filled with documents. If he made a mistake in footnoting, I would not be too surprised, since for each footnote, he had to search through so many documents when compiling the footnotes. That does not mean that he does not have the documents. It took him nearly a year to compile the footnote section of H&L. He had room on the CD for only a small fraction of documents. He spent months at the Archives copying important documents which are not reproduced nor referred to elsewhere.

Jack

• 1 year later...
Ron... John has thousands of documents not referred to in the book or on the CD. He has (in storage now) about a hundred 4-inch 3-ring notebooks filled with documents. If he made a mistake in footnoting, I would not be too surprised, since for each footnote, he had to search through so many documents when compiling the footnotes. That does not mean that he does not have the documents. It took him nearly a year to compile the footnote section of H&L. He had room on the CD for only a small fraction of documents. He spent months at the Archives copying important documents which are not reproduced nor referred to elsewhere.

Jack

Has anybody considered, or asked John Armstrong to join the Forum, he really should be here!