The Education Forum

Marchetti quote on John Paisley murder

Does anyone know the source for this:

Former CIA agent, Victor Marchetti, told Harrison Edward Livingstone and Steve Parks of the Baltimore Sun that Paisley knew a great deal about the assassination of John F. Kennedy and was murdered during the House Select Committee on Assassinations investigation because he was "about to blow the whistle".

I have searched the Baltimore Sun for "Paisley" and "Marchetti" from 1977-1988 and found zero hits.

Plenty of hits on some (excellent) pieces of reporting on the Paisley death to be found there, but nothing citing Marchetti that was published.

I wonder if perhaps this is something that Marchetti told Parks and Livingstone that perhaps Livingstone published in one of his books?  I can't seem to pinpoint the source of the allegation or the exact quote.

Interested as I am reading now about Paisley, from the Corson book 'Widows' up to the just published book by Howard Blum on the Paisley case.

Both of those books suggest that Paisley was a KGB mole who exfiltrated to the USSR and his death was faked, but of course if Paisley was murdered by our security services that is precisely the kind of cover story you might expect to hear. Also knowing that the primary sources for that allegation are Corson (in the Trento book, Widows) who is CIA, and in the Blum book he cites Pete Bagley.

I think it entirely possible that Paisley could have both been a mole and ALSO murdered by our services b/c he was going to implicate agency personnel in the JFK matter, neither are mutually exclusive and if he were a KGB mole what could have been more damaging to the CIA than to have had them implicated in the murder.

15 hours ago, Richard Booth said:

Does anyone know the source for this:

Former CIA agent, Victor Marchetti, told Harrison Edward Livingstone and Steve Parks of the Baltimore Sun that Paisley knew a great deal about the assassination of John F. Kennedy and was murdered during the House Select Committee on Assassinations investigation because he was "about to blow the whistle".

I have searched the Baltimore Sun for "Paisley" and "Marchetti" from 1977-1988 and found zero hits.

Richard,

Not exactly what you are looking for, but, in 'High Treason' p249 there is a paragraph about Oswald and links to ONI quoted from Steve Parks in the Baltimore Sunday Sun, November 21st, 1976.

Also p298 quotes Marchetti's 'The CIA & the Cult of Intelligence' suggests that the CIA had thought about taking a limited hang-out and was willing to concede that CIA agents may have been involved in an assassination plot against the late President.  CIA executives were admitting that a renegade band of agents acting on their own may have made the hit.  (from Gallery July 1979.)

'High Treason' p283-284 states Bernard Fensterwald was the lawyer for Marianne Paisley, whose husband, John Arthur Paisley, an executive in the CIA, was apparently murdered while sailing his boat, the Brilig, on Chesapeake Bay.....Fensterwald was Paisley's next door neighbour, and Paisley knew plenty.

I suspect that the above is already info that you are aware of.....but posted just in case + the Baltimore Sunday Sun quote is 1976 and maybe worth another trawl.