The Education Forum

Rolling Readers & Murdered Leaders

In the sniper's nest, there were four boxes used in connection with the shooting.  One large box containing books and then two of the smaller "Rolling Readers" boxes atop the large box of books.  The fourth box was on the floor behind the stack of three,
obviously used as a seat.

On one of the Rolling Readers boxes at the window, Oswald's left palmprint and his right index fingerprint were found.

The employees laying the floor moved the large boxes of books from the west end of the floor over to the east end.  However, the "Rolling Readers" boxes did not need to be moved, i.e. they weren't over on the west end where the new floor was being placed down.  The two "Rolling readers" boxes in the sniper's nest were originally about three aisles over from the sniper's nest window and were taken to that window for the purposes of being used as a gun rest.  The "Rolling Readers" boxes didn't contain books.

On the box on the floor, the one used as a seat, Day, using powder, dusted the box and developed a palmprint.  Latona examined the print and found it to be from Oswald's right palm.  Because Day used a powder to develop the print, Latona stated that not too long a time had passed between the time the print was placed on the box and the time it was developed by Day.  Powder cannot develop prints beyond a certain point in time.

FBI experiments showed that twenty-four hours was a likely maximum time between the print being placed on the box and the time it was developed by the powder.  However, Latona would only state that he could only testify with certainty that the print was less than three days old.

Arthur Mandella (fingerprint expert, NYPD), examined the prints and agreed that they belonged to Oswald.  Mandella was of the opinion that the palmprint developed by Day (using the powder) from the box on the floor (the one used as a seat) was probably made within a day to a day and a half of the examination made on the 22nd.

Oswald could obviously have handled the boxes as part of his normal work duties.  Fingerprints were taken from the twelve Depository employees who may have had cause to handle the boxes (found in the sniper's nest) as part of their normal work duties as well.

Other identifiable prints were developed on the boxes.  These prints were compared with the fingerprints of all other employees as well as law enforcement personnel who handled the boxes.  None of the identifiable prints belonged to any of the other employees.

Point being, the larger box on the sniper's nest floor used as a seat, was moved by the floor laying crew at some point earlier in the week.  Day dusted this box with powder and developed a palmprint, which Latona said belonged to Oswald.  The process of using the powder develops prints based on perspiration and therefore would not find prints older than one to three days (time frame dependent on which fingerprint expert you listen to).

While it's possible to handle the boxes and not leave a print at all, it's also likely as possible that Oswald was the only person to handle that box at any point in time past Tuesday the 19th (per Latona's three days out).  Or, if you go by Mandella of the NYPD, Oswald could have been the only person to handle that box after Wednesday the 20th.  If you go by the FBI's experiments, Oswald was possibly the only person to handle that box after Thursday the 21st.

Oswald's prints on the boxes prove he was in that window, but they can't prove when he was there exactly.

not sure what you’re getting at BB?

The “….prints on the boxes proved…” not necessarily that he was in the window but that he had touched the boxes at some point. But he’d been working there just over a month and often picked orders on the 6th floor?

pretty sure his dabs were quite easy to find in that place.

”…..naturally, I work there….”

20 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

In the sniper's nest, there were four boxes used in connection with the shooting.  One large box containing books and then two of the smaller "Rolling Readers" boxes atop the large box of books.  The fourth box was on the floor behind the stack of three,
obviously used as a seat.

On one of the Rolling Readers boxes at the window, Oswald's left palmprint and his right index fingerprint were found.

The employees laying the floor moved the large boxes of books from the west end of the floor over to the east end.  However, the "Rolling Readers" boxes did not need to be moved, i.e. they weren't over on the west end where the new floor was being placed down.  The two "Rolling readers" boxes in the sniper's nest were originally about three aisles over from the sniper's nest window and were taken to that window for the purposes of being used as a gun rest.  The "Rolling Readers" boxes didn't contain books.

On the box on the floor, the one used as a seat, Day, using powder, dusted the box and developed a palmprint.  Latona examined the print and found it to be from Oswald's right palm.  Because Day used a powder to develop the print, Latona stated that not too long a time had passed between the time the print was placed on the box and the time it was developed by Day.  Powder cannot develop prints beyond a certain point in time.

FBI experiments showed that twenty-four hours was a likely maximum time between the print being placed on the box and the time it was developed by the powder.  However, Latona would only state that he could only testify with certainty that the print was less than three days old.

Arthur Mandella (fingerprint expert, NYPD), examined the prints and agreed that they belonged to Oswald.  Mandella was of the opinion that the palmprint developed by Day (using the powder) from the box on the floor (the one used as a seat) was probably made within a day to a day and a half of the examination made on the 22nd.

Oswald could obviously have handled the boxes as part of his normal work duties.  Fingerprints were taken from the twelve Depository employees who may have had cause to handle the boxes (found in the sniper's nest) as part of their normal work duties as well.

Other identifiable prints were developed on the boxes.  These prints were compared with the fingerprints of all other employees as well as law enforcement personnel who handled the boxes.  None of the identifiable prints belonged to any of the other employees.

Point being, the larger box on the sniper's nest floor used as a seat, was moved by the floor laying crew at some point earlier in the week.  Day dusted this box with powder and developed a palmprint, which Latona said belonged to Oswald.  The process of using the powder develops prints based on perspiration and therefore would not find prints older than one to three days (time frame dependent on which fingerprint expert you listen to).

While it's possible to handle the boxes and not leave a print at all, it's also likely as possible that Oswald was the only person to handle that box at any point in time past Tuesday the 19th (per Latona's three days out).  Or, if you go by Mandella of the NYPD, Oswald could have been the only person to handle that box after Wednesday the 20th.  If you go by the FBI's experiments, Oswald was possibly the only person to handle that box after Thursday the 21st.

Oswald's prints on the boxes prove he was in that window, but they can't prove when he was there exactly.

Is this an invite for me to complain about the DPD? Because I have chapters on my website devoted to the supposed fingerprints supposedly found in the sniper's nest.

Here's what you may not realize.

1. No photos were taken by the DPD on 11-22 of Box D, the box supposedly used as a seat. This was supposedly a key piece of evidence, seeing as they supposedly found a print on this box right then and there in the sniper's nest. And yet no Dallas Police photos were taken of the print on the box, or even of the box, on 11-22.

2. A corner of this box was removed and taken to the crime lab, however. There is a photo of this piece of cardboard in the DPD archives. Although Lt. Day would later claim he studied this cardboard and IDed Oswald's print, there is no report created by Day reflecting a positive ID of this print.

3. On the 25th, the DPD were told to collect the sniper's nest boxes and send them to the FBI. But before they did, they "re-enacted" the sniper's nest to demonstrate its supposed appearance on the 22nd. This re-enactment was a fraud in many ways. The window stack was placed about 8 inches further to the west than it was on 11-22. This gave the sniper more room. Similarly, a stack of boxes behind the window stack was removed, which gave the supposed sniper sitting on the supposed seat far more room. More to the point, for this re-enactment they placed the torn off piece of cardboard back on Box D. Upon submission to the FBI, moreover, the DPD indicated that these photos were taken on the 22nd. It took the FBI a few days to clear this up.

4. When one looks closely at the re-enactment photos, moreover, it becomes clear that Box A in the photos, the supposed rifle rest, on which Oswald's palm and fingerprint were supposedly later discovered, is not the Box A in the photos from 11-22, that would eventually end up in the archives. A close look at the FBI's photos on 11-23, moreover, reveal that this box was missing on the day after the assassination. So where was this box from the 23rd-25th? When I'm in a generous mood, I let myself believe Studebaker or one of the other crime lab boys took it home as a memento. But I'm not sure such generosity is warranted. 

5. Numerous reports and files make reference to a thumb print on Box D. At first I thought this was a mistake, but Fritz's records and reports reflect both that a palm print was found on the torn off piece of cardboard, and that a thumb print was found elsewhere on the box. This thumb print was not ID'ed as Oswald's. Soon thereafter it disappeared from the story.

6. Lt. Day told numerous lies suggesting he found the palm print on Box D. The early photos of the piece of cardboard reflect that the print was discovered by Robert Studebaker, not Day. By the time it was sent to the FBI however Day had added his name to the cardboard. 

7. The FBI tried to cover for the DPD's lack of professionalism. Numerous reports and testimony refer to the piece of cardboard "cut" from Box D. This is a joke. One look at the cardboard and the box makes clear that the cardboard was haphazardly torn from Box D, hardly the way you'd treat an important piece of evidence.

And that's just a start...

9 hours ago, Sean Coleman said:

not sure what you’re getting at BB?

The “….prints on the boxes proved…” not necessarily that he was in the window but that he had touched the boxes at some point. But he’d been working there just over a month and often picked orders on the 6th floor?

pretty sure his dabs were quite easy to find in that place.

”…..naturally, I work there….”

I think you should read my post again.  Point is, the prints were fresh and completely unrelated to any prints Oswald may have left behind over the previous five weeks.

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

Point is, the prints were fresh and completely unrelated to any prints Oswald may have left behind over the previous five weeks.

I agree 100%, Bill.

"The LHO prints on the Sniper's Nest boxes are not (themselves) conclusive proof of Oswald's guilt, true. But when placing those prints (and the critical, key LOCATIONS of where those prints were found and on WHAT SPECIFIC BOXES) next to all of the other "LHO Was Here" evidence that is piled against the door, those box prints of Oswald's become more significant, in that those prints are CORROBORATIVE OF OTHER "OSWALD" EVIDENCE that was found in the Sniper's Nest. It's beyond me how anyone can completely dismiss those multiple LHO prints (which are prints that were found on two boxes DEEP INSIDE the assassin's Sniper's Nest) with the typical three-word CTer retort of "He worked there"." -- DVP; November 18, 2007

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2010/06/Oswald Was In The Sniper's Nest

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2015/06/More "Sniper's Nest" Talk

Edited by David Von Pein