The Education Forum

Was the assassination rifle posted to the Neely Street address?

In a recent interview between Robbie Robertson and Tom Gram, an interesting point was brought up. Tom Gram said that part 3 of the 2915 PO box application form (the piece that could not be found after the JFK assassination) had an option on it for packages to be delivered to a physical address. 

Could this mean that in March 1963, Oswald went into the post office and informed them of his new address at Neely Street. Having done this, Oswald then ordered the rifle in the name of Hidell. Does this mean that if the rifle package addressed to Hidell arrived into the post office, that the post office would deliver this to Oswalds physical address at Neely street? I wonder if this would have been done regardless of whether Hidell was listed on the PO Box application form or not as someone who could receive mail at that PO box.

Check out 41 minutes in on this video:

Oswald seems to have needed his fake selective service card in the name of Hidell in order to pick up the pistol at the railway depot located just south of Dealey Plaza as shown in the below video. But he may not have needed to use this fake ID card at the post office if the rifle was in fact delivered to his Neely Street address (unless he needed to show the fake ID to the postman who arrived at Oswalds front door with the rifle package looking for a Mr. Hidell).

Check out 1 hour 17 minutes on this video to see the railway depot where Oswald picked up his pistol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

In a recent interview between Robbie Robertson and Tom Gram, an interesting point was brought up. Tom Gram said that part 3 of the 2915 PO box application form (the piece that could not be found after the JFK assassination) had an option on it for packages to be delivered to a physical address. 

Could this mean that in March 1963, Oswald went into the post office and informed them of his new address at Neely Street. Having done this, Oswald then ordered the rifle in the name of Hidell. Does this mean that if the rifle package addressed to Hidell arrived into the post office, that the post office would deliver this to Oswalds physical address at Neely street? I wonder if this would have been done regardless of whether Hidell was listed on the PO Box application form or not as someone who could receive mail at that PO box.

Check out 41 minutes in on this video:

Oswald seems to have needed his fake selective service card in the name of Hidell in order to pick up the pistol at the railway depot located just south of Dealey Plaza as shown in the below video. But he may not have needed to use this fake ID card at the post office if the rifle was in fact delivered to his Neely Street address (unless he needed to show the fake ID to the postman who arrived at Oswalds front door with the rifle package looking for a Mr. Hidell).

Check out 1 hour 17 minutes on this video to see the railway depot where Oswald picked up his pistol:

James Hosty wrote a report on 3/25/63 that said a Dallas Postal Inspector named Dorothea Myers informed him on 3/11/63 that the Oswalds had moved to Neely St. The problem with this is that there is absolutely zero evidence that either Marina or Lee ever changed their mailing address with the Post Office to Neely St. No change of address forms, nothing. The mailing address for the Oswalds throughout  that entire period was always P.O. Box 2915. 

However, if the one of the Oswalds went to the Post Office and added to the P.O. Box 2915 application special delivery instructions for packages to be sent to Neely St., that might at least partially explain Hosty’s bizarre report and why no trace of that address change could be found after the assassination. 

I say partially because I’m not sure how delivery instruction changes were processed or recorded at the Post Office; and if the Dorothea Myers information really did relate to section three of the P.O. Box 2915 application, Hosty should’ve found out about the box in Spring ‘63. Incredibly, he did not. Hosty also couldn’t figure out that the Oswalds had gone to New Orleans because the Dallas Postmaster allegedly told him the Oswalds left no forwarding address - which is crazy since after the assassination Postal Inspectors tracked down the May ‘63 change of address forms for both Marina and Lee within hours. 

Good question Gerry. 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57690#relPageId=112

Edited by Tom Gram

51 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

James Hosty wrote a report on 3/25/63 that said a Dallas Postal Inspector named Dorothea Myers informed him on 3/11/63 that the Oswalds had moved to Neely St. The problem with this is that there is absolutely zero evidence that either Marina or Lee ever changed their mailing address with the Post Office to Neely St. No change of address forms, nothing. The mailing address for the Oswalds throughout  that entire period was always P.O. Box 2915. 

However, I the one of the Oswalds went to the Post Office and added to the P.O. Box 2915 application special delivery instructions for packages to be sent to Neely St., that might at least partially explain Hosty’s bizarre report and why no trace of that address change could be found after the assassination. 

I say partially because I’m not sure how delivery instruction changes were processed or recorded at the Post Office; and if the Dorothea Myers information really did relate to section three of the P.O. Box 2915 application, Hosty should’ve found out about the box in Spring ‘63. Incredibly, he did not. Hosty also couldn’t figure out that the Oswalds had gone to New Orleans because the Dallas Postmaster allegedly told him the Oswalds left no forwarding address - which is crazy since after the assassination Postal Inspectors tracked down the May ‘63 change of address forms for both Marina and Lee within hours. 

Good question Gerry. 

So the FBIs position was they were saying they did not know about the 2915 PO box in Spring of 1963? Maybe the FBI didn't want to admit they knew about this PO box because this is the PO box the rifle was delivered to? Its a bit like on the night of the assassination they didn't want Jesse Curry telling the press that the FBI knew Oswald had been in Dallas. The FBIs modus operandi seems to be to pretend they didn't know something rather than admit they did and that they had not acted on it. 

It would seem there is circumstantial evidence that in March 1963 when Oswald decided to shoot Walker and ordered the rifle and pistol, that he went to his PO Box and added the address on part 3 for packages to be sent to Neely street so that the rifle and pistol would be delivered there. That this change was notified to Dallas Postal Inspector Dorothea Myer (I presume any change in the address of a subversive like Oswald would be watched at the post office and passed on to the FBI) and she passed this info on to Hosty.

There was a hiccup with the pistol in that it only went as far as the railroad depot, but the rifle made its way to Neely street as planned. Oswald then had to go to the railroad depot with his fake selective service card and picked it up. This would explain why no one at the post office could ever remember a long package coming in and being held for Oswalds PO box. This is because the rifle came in and went straight back out to Neely street. 

In theory, if Oswald had not put the name Hidell on the PO box application form (part 3), the rifle could potentially have made its way all the way to Neely street where Oswald could then have got his hands on it by producing to the postman his fake selective service ID in the name of Hidell. Later on, there then would be no paper trail linking Oswald to the rifle, except of course the fact that he had filled in the order form for the rifle and pistol in his own handwriting. 

It would seem unusual that Oswald would put a real home address on the PO box in March 1963, because he had previously opened that very PO box in Oct 1962 using a fake home address. It seems his modus operandi was to hide from the post office his true home address at any given time.

Edited by Gerry Down

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

So the FBIs position was they were saying they did not know about the 2915 PO box in Spring of 1963? Maybe the FBI didn't want to admit they knew about this PO box because this is the PO box the rifle was delivered to? Its a bit like on the night of the assassination they didn't want Jesse Curry telling the press that the FBI knew Oswald had been in Dallas. The FBIs modus operandi seems to be to pretend they didn't know something rather than admit they did and that they had not acted on it. 

It would seem there is circumstantial evidence that in March 1963 when Oswald decided to shoot Walker and ordered the rifle and pistol, that he went to his PO Box and added the address on part 3 for packages to be sent to Neely street so that the rifle and pistol would be delivered there. That this change was notified to Dallas Postal Inspector Dorothea Myer (I presume any change in the address of a subversive like Oswald would be watched at the post office and passed on to the FBI) and she passed this info on to Hosty.

There was a hiccup with the pistol in that it only went as far as the railroad depot, but the rifle made its way to Neely street as planned. Oswald then had to go to the railroad depot with his fake selective service card and picked it up. This would explain why no one at the post office could ever remember a long package coming in and being held for Oswalds PO box. This is because the rifle came in and went straight back out to Neely street. 

In theory, if Oswald had not put the name Hidell on the PO box application form (part 3), the rifle could potentially have made its way all the way to Neely street where Oswald could then have got his hands on it by producing to the postman his fake selective service ID in the name of Hidell. Later on, there then would be no paper trail linking Oswald to the rifle, except of course the fact that he had filled in the order form for the rifle and pistol in his own handwriting. 

It would seem unusual that Oswald would put a real home address on the PO box in March 1963, because he had previously opened that very PO box in Oct 1962 using a fake home address. It seems his modus operandi was to hide from the post office his true home address at any given time.

The FBI as an organization did know about the P.O. Box, but the Dallas Field Office did not. That’s the official story anyway. The logic is that the Soviet Embassy mail intercept program was too sensitive to share, or something like that. There’s also the cluster**** about the 60-day delay for the New York Field Office to report on Oswald’s April ‘63 letter to the FPCC, which had P.O. Box 2915 as a return address. So FBI Headquarters, the Washington Field Office (WFO ran the intercept program), and New York all supposedly knew about P.O. Box 2915 before Oswald’s move to New Orleans but neither the office of origin for the Oswald case nor the assigned agent had any idea the box existed. It’s quite a mess. 

The scenario you propose here runs into the same problem I mentioned in my last comment. If Myers was really reporting on a change added to the box application, there is no excuse for Hosty not being told about the box itself. Hosty’s failure to figure out Oswald’s Dallas post office box number is the sole reason for his (alleged) failure to track Oswald to New Orleans. There are zero postal records that reflect a mailing address change to 214 Neely St. - so if Myers was reading special delivery instructions off section three of the application why the hell wouldn’t she mention the box? Also, Myers allegedly spoke to Hosty on 3/11/63, literally one day before the purchase of the money order. It’s quite a coincidence. 

Your comment on the failure of postal workers to remember the long package is not exactly what the Postal Inspection Service actually claimed. They said that despite “exhaustive inquiries” they could find no postal worker who remembered handing over a large package to Oswald. They never asked if anyone remembered Marina. Based on the other evidence e.g. several change of address forms that were provably suppressed and the WC’s inexcusable (non)questioning of Marina on this issue - I think it’s very possible, if not likely, that Marina picked up the rifle from the Post Office and may have even been involved in ordering it. 

Despite the fact that Marina could have easily been roped in unwittingly by Oswald (Marina’s involvement in the rifle purchase does not necessarily point to any sort of conspiracy) the WC would not go there under any circumstances. The Dorothea Myers/Neely St. angle is just one of several reasons why the WC’s questioning of Marina on this topic is beyond suspicious. In all her WC appearances, Marina was asked exactly zero questions about P.O. Box 2915 or how Oswald had acquired the rifle; and wasn’t even asked how the Oswalds had received their mail in Dallas. I go over this in detail in my essay. 

Your point about the fake street addresses on box applications gave me a thought. Marina testified that she sent a letter to an old boyfriend with the box as a return address. The letter was returned and Oswald found it and flipped out on her. Perhaps she took steps to avoid a similar incident? The only example of any mail being received at 214 Neely St. is a letter from Ruth Paine to Marina. Marina may have given Ruth the Neely St. address for mail to prevent Oswald from reading her letters - since the mail would have almost always been delivered while Oswald was at work. Could Marina have done the same thing at the Post Office? 

Marina was receiving mail in P.O. Box 2915 until 5/10/63, which is when she changed her address to Ruth Paine’s house. Oswald’s FBI case was not officially reopened until after Hosty sent his 3/25/63 memo to Headquarters, so on 3/11/63, Hosty was technically only investigating Marina. Was she the one who requested that packages addressed to P.O. Box 2915 be delivered to Neely St.?

6 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

The FBI as an organization did know about the P.O. Box, but the Dallas Field Office did not. That’s the official story anyway. The logic is that the Soviet Embassy mail intercept program was too sensitive to share, or something like that. There’s also the cluster**** about the 60-day delay for the New York Field Office to report on Oswald’s April ‘63 letter to the FPCC, which had P.O. Box 2915 as a return address. So FBI Headquarters, the Washington Field Office (WFO ran the intercept program), and New York all supposedly knew about P.O. Box 2915 before Oswald’s move to New Orleans but neither the office of origin for the Oswald case nor the assigned agent had any idea the box existed. It’s quite a mess. 

The scenario you propose here runs into the same problem I mentioned in my last comment. If Myers was really reporting on a change added to the box application, there is no excuse for Hosty not being told about the box itself. Hosty’s failure to figure out Oswald’s Dallas post office box number is the sole reason for his (alleged) failure to track Oswald to New Orleans. There are zero postal records that reflect a mailing address change to 214 Neely St. - so if Myers was reading special delivery instructions off section three of the application why the hell wouldn’t she mention the box? Also, Myers allegedly spoke to Hosty on 3/11/63, literally one day before the purchase of the money order. It’s quite a coincidence. 

You give a very clear explanation here of what which FBI office knew what. Where did you get this information as i've never before seen it laid out so clearly. I have the book "Act of Treason" by Mark North which focuses on the FBI angle on the case, but I have not read it yet. Is that one of your main sources?

Its difficult to believe that Hosty did not know more than he let on. In Dec 1962, Oswald wrote a letter to the subversive paper "The Worker". We dont have the letter he sent to them, but we do have the reply (i've attached it below along with a sample of the printing Oswald showed them). And that reply has the 2915 PO box address. Hosty claimed he re-opened the case on March 25th 1963 because Oswald began a subscription to "The Militant" but Oswald had actually been in touch with another subversive paper "The Worker" in Dec 1962 and had sent them samples of his printing ability which he was offering to do for them. Surely this would have caused Hosty to reopen the case then. It seems to me that the FBI tried to pretend they reopened the case on Oswald only AFTER he ordered the rifle in order to hide the fact that he had ordered the rifle while there was an open case against him.

100.png 

200.png 

Sometime in Feb  or March 1963, Gus Hall of the CPUSA received a letter from Oswald looking to join which Hall never responded to. This letter only showed up after Halls death in 2000. The FBI must have had a copy of this letter from their mail intercept program. 

300.png 

One possible reason we have he reply letter from "The Worker" as shown above could be that the DPD got hold of this letter among Oswalds possessions after the assassination before the FBI did and so the FBI could not deny its existence. Its very existence proves that Oswald sent a letter to "The Worker" which should have been picked up by the mail intercept and there and then have caused Hosty to re-open the case on Oswald. One has to wonder if the case was ever closed on Oswald as Hosty claimed but was always open and the FBI just pretended it was closed in order to avoid having to admit that Oswald ordered the rifle while there was an active FBI case open on him.

I think what was going on was that Oswald was a FBI informant for Warren De Brueys in New Orelans as Orent Pena stated. In order to hide this fact, Hosty had to pretend he did not know that Oswald had gone to New Orleans, in order for the New Orleans office to be able to explain why they did not visit Oswald in New Orleans until he showed up in jail on Aug 9th 1963. The FBI in New Orleans knew all about Oswald and had been in contact with him in New Orleans all that summer because he was their informant. 

Edited by Gerry Down

2 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

I think what was going on was that Oswald was a FBI informant for Warren De Brueys in New Orelans as Orent Pena stated. In order to hide this fact, Hosty had to pretend he did not know that Oswald had gone to New Orleans, in order for the New Orleans office to be able to explain why they did not visit Oswald in New Orleans until he showed up in jail on Aug 9th 1963. The FBI in New Orleans knew all about Oswald and had been in contact with him in New Orleans all that summer because he was their informant. 

That makes a lot of sense to me, Hosty - to me - always leaves the impression of

him being caught between his superiors and Oswald's actions.

Like he was always walking on egg shell's

I have not yet read his book (Hosty's that is, even haven't ordered it yet),

probably not a lot in it, as I see little (or no) references to it ? 

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

You give a very clear explanation here of what which FBI office knew what. Where did you get this information as i've never before seen it laid out so clearly. I have the book "Act of Treason" by Mark North which focuses on the FBI angle on the case, but I have not read it yet. Is that one of your main sources?

Its difficult to believe that Hosty did not know more than he let on. In Dec 1962, Oswald wrote a letter to the subversive paper "The Worker". We dont have the letter he sent to them, but we do have the reply (i've attached it below along with a sample of the printing Oswald showed them). And that reply has the 2915 PO box address. Hosty claimed he re-opened the case on March 25th 1963 because Oswald began a subscription to "The Militant" but Oswald had actually been in touch with another subversive paper "The Worker" in Dec 1962 and had sent them samples of his printing ability which he was offering to do for them. Surely this would have caused Hosty to reopen the case then. It seems to me that the FBI tried to pretend they reopened the case on Oswald only AFTER he ordered the rifle in order to hide the fact that he had ordered the rifle while there was an open case against him.

100.png 

200.png 

Sometime in Feb  or March 1963, Gus Hall of the CPUSA received a letter from Oswald looking to join which Hall never responded to. This letter only showed up after Halls death in 2000. The FBI must have had a copy of this letter from their mail intercept program. 

300.png 

One possible reason we have he reply letter from "The Worker" as shown above could be that the DPD got hold of this letter among Oswalds possessions after the assassination before the FBI did and so the FBI could not deny its existence. Its very existence proves that Oswald sent a letter to "The Worker" which should have been picked up by the mail intercept and there and then have caused Hosty to re-open the case on Oswald. One has to wonder if the case was ever closed on Oswald as Hosty claimed but was always open and the FBI just pretended it was closed in order to avoid having to admit that Oswald ordered the rifle while there was an active FBI case open on him.

Those are all excellent points. Oswald regularly corresponded with the CPUSA, SWP, and FPCC throughout late ‘62 and the first half of ‘63, but according to the official story, there was a complete blackout on any mail intercepts for Oswald from Sept. ‘62 when he was living on Mercedes St. to June ‘63 after he’d opened P.O. Box 30061 in New Orleans. The blackout covered the entire rental period of P.O. Box 2915. 

Officially, Hosty and the Dallas Field Office didn’t find out about P.O. Box 2915 until 6/25/63, which was when New York finally informed Dallas of the letter Oswald had sent to the FPCC in April. Even the FBI itself was suspicious of this ridiculous over two-month delay, and conducted an internal investigation that lead to several reprimands:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=9940#relPageId=8

I researched and worked on a section for my mailbox essay on the pre-assassination investigation that I removed because it was getting too long, and that’s where I got my information on this stuff. The best compilation source I know of by far though is John Newman’s Oswald and the CIA. The book could use an update, and there are several documents available now that fill in some major gaps in Newman’s discussion, but the overall analysis is excellent. 

The main takeaway is that the pre-assassination Oswald investigation, especially by the Dallas Field Office, was deficient to the point of being suspicious. The evidence suggests that Hosty either lied or was deliberately kept in the dark on Oswald’s movements, and I think your explanation for why that happened might very well be spot-on. 

1 hour ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

That makes a lot of sense to me, Hosty - to me - always leaves the impression of

him being caught between his superiors and Oswald's actions.

Like he was always walking on egg shell's

I have not yet read his book (Hosty's that is, even haven't ordered it yet),

probably not a lot in it, as I see little (or no) references to it ? 

Jean Paul, maybe you can help answer something relevant to this thread. Hosty was allegedly informed on 3/11/63 by Postal Inspector Dorothea Myers that the Oswalds had moved to 214 Neely St. The problem with this is that neither Lee nor Marina ever changed their address to 214 Neely St. with the Post Office, and the only mailing address on file for both of them from 10/62 through 5/63 was P.O. Box 2915.

If Lee or Marina had gone to the Post Office and added specific delivery instructions to section three of the application for box 2915, how would that work? Would the postal clerk hand over the application so they could make changes, or would it be logged on some sort of separate form? Is it possible that the obsolete section three would be discarded and replaced by the new instructions?

For example, on section three of the application for P.O. Box 30061 in New Orleans, Oswald selected the option for “all except special delivery mail in box” and gave 657 French St. (a nonexistent address) as the address for special delivery mail. Section three was then sent to the special delivery section and stamped:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=58971#relPageId=64

Let’s say Oswald wanted to update the application a couple weeks later to “other instructions”, and have all packages delivered at his apartment 4907 Magazine St. instead. How would that change be processed at the Post Office? I don’t recall seeing a specific POD form for delivery instruction updates through a P.O. Box but there are so many forms I’ll have to go back through the list.  

2 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Jean Paul, maybe you can help answer something relevant to this thread. Hosty was allegedly informed on 3/11/63 by Postal Inspector Dorothea Myers that the Oswalds had moved to 214 Neely St. The problem with this is that neither Lee nor Marina ever changed their address to 214 Neely St. with the Post Office, and the only mailing address on file for both of them from 10/62 through 5/63 was P.O. Box 2915.

If Lee or Marina had gone to the Post Office and added specific delivery instructions to section three of the application for box 2915, how would that work? Would the postal clerk hand over the application so they could make changes, or would it be logged on some sort of separate form? Is it possible that the obsolete section three would be discarded and replaced by the new instructions?

For example, on section three of the application for P.O. Box 30061 in New Orleans, Oswald selected the option for “all except special delivery mail in box” and gave 657 French St. (a nonexistent address) as the address for special delivery mail. Section three was then sent to the special delivery section and stamped:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=58971#relPageId=64

Let’s say Oswald wanted to update the application a couple weeks later to “other instructions”, and have all packages delivered at his apartment 4907 Magazine St. instead. How would that change be processed at the Post Office? I don’t recall seeing a specific POD form for delivery instruction updates through a P.O. Box but there are so many forms I’ll have to go back through the list.  

I just can't see LHO taking a risk in not informing the post office of his new address at Neely, knowing he (alledg.) ordered a rifle on March 12, 1963.  So it would seem logical he informed the post-office on March 11, 1963 (and Dorotheo Myers informing Hosty about that the same day ?) ?  

Now, I do not know of any specific forms for such a circumstance (changing of the special delivery instructions), but somehow I feel they would simply make up a new form.  A new form with a reference made some where to the previous/dated instructions, or attaching the old one to the new one. 

I'm also puzzled by coinciding dates, Mrs. Paine visiting them on March 12 as well.  

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

Was Dallas postal inspector Dorothea Myers ever interviewed?

If there was anything suspicious about the way in which she found out that Oswald was now living at Neely street, the FBI would hardly have allowed her name to be placed on FBI documents and to be released to the public where any Joe-soap could approach and talk to her.

The fact that we are given her name maybe suggests we are being overly suspicious about her?

46 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Was Dallas postal inspector Dorothea Myers ever interviewed?

If there was anything suspicious about the way in which she found out that Oswald was now living at Neely street, the FBI would hardly have allowed her name to be placed on FBI documents and to be released to the public where any Joe-soap could approach and talk to her.

The fact that we are given her name maybe suggests we are being overly suspicious about her?

Nope. Dorothea Myers name appears absolutely nowhere in the post- assassination records of the FBI or Postal Inspection Service, and no effort appears to have been made to track her down. The only reference to her name is the 3/25/63 report by Hosty - she subsequently completely disappears from the documentary record. 

After the assassination, every Dallas, Forth Worth, Irving and New Orleans Postal Inspector involved in the investigation submitted a report on their activities, and Myers was not among them. She’s a complete ghost. It’s a little odd, especially considering that Myers’ information on Neely St. is quite possibly the sole reason for Hosty’s failure to find out about P.O. Box 2915 in time to track the Oswalds to New Orleans. 

25 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

Nope. Dorothea Myers name appears absolutely nowhere in the post- assassination records of the FBI or Postal Inspection Service, and no effort appears to have been made to track her down. The only reference to her name is the 3/25/63 report by Hosty - she subsequently completely disappears from the documentary record. 

After the assassination, every Dallas, Forth Worth, Irving and New Orleans Postal Inspector involved in the investigation submitted a report on their activities, and Myers was not among them. She’s a complete ghost. It’s a little odd, especially considering that Myers’ information on Neely St. is quite possibly the sole reason for Hosty’s failure to find out about P.O. Box 2915 in time to track the Oswalds to New Orleans. 

And this is the document you are talking about i presume which you previously linked to:

When was this document released? In other words, when did Dorothea Myers name first enter the public record?

I was under the impression that Dorothea Myers volunteered the information to the FBI of her own free will. But as per the below document, the FBI appear to have been actively trying to locate Oswald in early March 1963. On March 11th 1963 the FBI went to his former landlady at Elsbeth street and she informed the FBI that the Oswalds had moved. From this we can deduce that the FBI then went to the post office thatt same day (March 11th 1963) and tried to find out from them where Oswald now was, and somehow the post office knew:

image.png.18287394f5d65f3c188075523890ef78.png

SOURCE: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57690#relPageId=111 

The official story is that the case on Oswald was closed at this time. This doesn't look like a case that has been closed, it looks like the FBI were constantly trying to keep track of where Oswald was. 

Edited by Gerry Down

So, just to be clear I'm getting it correct, Hosty's report dd 3/25/1963 was referring to/about his statement as in this excerpt below : 

PS do you have a link or copy to Hosty's report dd 3/25/1963 ? It's 01:37:00 am here in Belgium and I'm going to sleep now :zzz

Will try to dig a little deeper in to this matter tomorrow

Dorothea Myers will turn up somewhere (no chance she is mentioned in his book ?)

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans

Myers does not show up in the index of Hosty book "Assignment Oswalds". 

Apparently at the time, if the FBI was tracking someone and they suspected they might have left the area, it was standard procedure to contact the Post Office to see if they had left a forwarding address. So Hosty might have though on March 11th 1963 that the Oswalds had left Dallas altogether.

This is similar to what Hosty did in May 1963 when he couldn’t locate the Oswald’s at their Neely Street apartment. He went straight to the Post Office to see if they left a forwarding address. 

Edited by Gerry Down