The Education Forum

LHO - High School

We know LHO did not have a High School diploma, so he could not enter College.

But he did get a GED credential when he was in the miliitary.

In those years :

- would it have the same value as a HS diploma ?

- could he have entered a College with a GED credential ?

I did find : "Passing these tests gave returning soldiers and sailors the academic credentials they needed to get civilian jobs

and gain access to post-secondary education or training".

Asking, because I have been reading a number of times  "because he did not finish high-school...." etc,

But if the GED credential was the same thing... it shouldn't have mattered I would think ?

Of course, having no college degree will keep you away from the better paid jobs.

But why are people often referring to him not-having-a-high-school diploma, while he has the equivalent ?

6 hours ago, Jean Paul Ceulemans said:

We know LHO did not have a High School diploma, so he could not enter College.

But he did get a GED credential when he was in the miliitary.

In those years :

- would it have the same value as a HS diploma ?

- could he have entered a College with a GED credential ?

I did find : "Passing these tests gave returning soldiers and sailors the academic credentials they needed to get civilian jobs

and gain access to post-secondary education or training".

Asking, because I have been reading a number of times  "because he did not finish high-school...." etc,

But if the GED credential was the same thing... it shouldn't have mattered I would think ?

Of course, having no college degree will keep you away from the better paid jobs.

But why are people often referring to him not-having-a-high-school diploma, while he has the equivalent ?

My dad left home at 15 or 16, and received his GED in the Air Force. He later took college correspondence courses, etc. So, no, I don't think Oswald's not finishing high school was a problem for him. I would suspect, moreover, that those making a big deal of it are LNs anxious to paint him as a loser. 

LHO's IQ was measured at 118, as I recall. This means he was both way smarter and more worldly than the vast majority of people denouncing him as a loser, and claiming he had a scrambled brain or whatever. 

Edited by Pat Speer

11 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

LHO's IQ was measured at 118, as I recall. This means he was way smarter and more worldly than the vast majority of people denouncing him as a loser, and claiming he had a scrambled brain or whatever. 

Oswald was also plagued by dyslexia and poor spelling, making it very difficult for him to express himself through the written word. As can be seen in the New Orleans radio debates, he was pretty well-spoken, although often lacking in the ability to have a more deep, nuanced conversation about the subjects at hand.

Must be like you say.

I was also trying to understand why so many (?) young men joined the military just before finishing HS.

Perhaps they wanted to get it over with it asap ?

On 11/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, Jonathan Cohen said:

Oswald was also plagued by dyslexia and poor spelling, making it very difficult for him to express himself through the written word. As can be seen in the New Orleans radio debates, he was pretty well-spoken, although often lacking in the ability to have a more deep, nuanced conversation about the subjects at hand.

But he did pass the test. 

Now, I'm also struggling on the application for the Albert Schweitzer College.

Hi simply changes his mind and wanders off to Russia...

Anyway, apparently his ASC application was put up for auction in 2008 

https://historical.ha.com/itm/autographs/u.s.-presidents/lee-harvey-oswald-college-application-archive-total-4-items-/a/692-35180.s

Edited by Jean Paul Ceulemans