The Education Forum

After his poor leadership in the Cuban Missile Crisis, Nikita Khrushchev’s fall from power was rapid

The article's perspective is curious. Khrushchev got JFK to abandon his demand for U.S. onsite inspectors to verify the removal of the Soviet missiles, got JFK to agree to remove our Jupiter missiles from Turkey and Italy, and got JFK to pledge not to invade Cuba again. The Politburo should have viewed this as a win. 

14 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

The article's perspective is curious. Khrushchev got JFK to abandon his demand for U.S. onsite inspectors to verify the removal of the Soviet missiles, got JFK to agree to remove our Jupiter missiles from Turkey and Italy, and got JFK to pledge not to invade Cuba again. The Politburo should have viewed this as a win. 

I agree, but it seems Nikita was already skating on thin ice with his own party before the Missile Crisis. The Cuba situation was just the excuse they needed to finally get rid of him.

IMHO, Khrushchev was damned lucky to leave office alive instead of meeting a fate like Kennedy. 

Nikki wasn’t wrong about modern art, anyway. It was and IS dog dooky! 🐕 💩 

8 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

I agree, but it seems Nikita was already skating on thin ice with his own party before the Missile Crisis. The Cuba situation was just the excuse they needed to finally get rid of him.

IMHO, Khrushchev was damned lucky to leave office alive instead of meeting a fate like Kennedy. 

Nikki wasn’t wrong about modern art, anyway. It was and IS dog dooky! 🐕 💩 

To me it seems like the article was written around that modern art and artist quote.

Khrushchev wasted around a Billion in 1962 dollars worth of USSR funds on the missile gambit. Turns out when you throw a hedge hog down uncle Sams pants, it doesn't go as well as you had hoped. There are people more read on this subject then I am but I am under the impression the Missile crisis started the Sino Soviet split, the crisis lowered his start in the politburo and  Khrushchev lost his position when Bejing wouldn't help in Vietnam unless Khrushchev was out of power. 

There was so much more than just his poor leadership in the cuban missile crisis. There is also the fact that Nikita ordered people to plant corn in the Soviet Union because he thought corn was a solution to the livestock problem. He was proven wrong when corns died during rainy and hot seasons, hurting agriculture. This damaged Nikita's reputation as a leader.

https://soviethistory.msu.edu/1961-2/corn-campaign/

13 hours ago, Calvin Ye said:

There was so much more than just his poor leadership in the cuban missile crisis. There is also the fact that Nikita ordered people to plant corn in the Soviet Union because he thought corn was a solution to the livestock problem. He was proven wrong when corns died during rainy and hot seasons, hurting agriculture. This damaged Nikita's reputation as a leader.

https://soviethistory.msu.edu/1961-2/corn-campaign/

Great point, Calvin!