The Education Forum

Richard Goodwin Papers now at LBJ Library

Lori Spencer

A few months ago the LBJ Presidential Library in Austin received a treasure trove of materials: the private collections of both the late Richard Goodwin and his wife Doris Kearns Goodwin. 

Doris did a forum at the LBJ Library in September to talk about what’s in the boxes, with Don Carleton, Director of the Briscoe Center for American History at UT Austin. 

The collection should be open to researchers around the first of the year. Digitization process is ongoing as we speak. 

I’m from Austin, have done a lot of work w/ the Briscoe Center and LBJ Library over the decades. They are one of the best archives in the nation. Can’t wait to dive into this collection! 🗄🗃📄

Thank you Lori.  I've yet to watch the video.  I've been to the Briscoe center on vacation to see the football exhibit a few years back and to the LBJ Library to see his presidential office recreation.

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thank you Lori.  I've yet to watch the video.  I've been to the Briscoe center on vacation to see the football exhibit a few years back and to the LBJ Library to see his presidential office recreation.

Doris tells some moving stories here about how she and Dick went through the collection together while he was dying of cancer — and revealed a few rather stunning end-of-life revelations Dick had about LBJ. I won’t spoil it for you… will just leave it there! 

Edited by Lori Spencer