The Education Forum

The Walker Bullet: Does This Look "Steel Jacketed"?

1 hour ago, Gil Jesus said:

Under that circumstance, can we assume then that the chain-of-possession of CE 399 begins with Elmer Todd ?

That’s a fair point. Under Rankin’s direction of only tracing a chain of custody up until someone could identify the item, the FBI had to show CE399 to four different people before Todd was able to provide a positive ID.

The only comparable situation with multiple failed positive IDs was with the cartridge casings from the Tippit scene. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Some .357 Magnum rounds get 1,500 feet per second. 

Of course, no one ever tested the plaster walls of Walker' home with additional gunshots, or probed the Walker bullet hole to find out if the slug had passed through a wooden slat, a 2x4, or even electrical conduit etc.  

If the Walker bullet had merely passed through plaster, almost any gun could have produced the result. 

In the end, I think I am safe in saying that a powerful handgun would have sufficed to produce the damage seen in the Walker home. I do not rule out a rifle. 

The detective on the Walker scene almost immediately conjectured a powerful bullet had produced the damage, further conjectured a rifle must have been used, but then mis-identified the bullet as "steel jacketed." 

So it goes....let us say I am not convinced a rifle was used. I rather suspect a handgun, as no one saw a rifle that night. 

The question for me is what caused them to assume it was a high powered rifle? The damage it did or the distance it was fired from are the only two indicators I can think of. Maybe they call it a rifle round so they can later implicate Oswald.

1 hour ago, Chris Bristow said:

The question for me is what caused them to assume it was a high powered rifle? The damage it did or the distance it was fired from are the only two indicators I can think of. Maybe they call it a rifle round so they can later implicate Oswald.

If I had to guess, the Dallas Police Department detective on the Walker scene earnestly conjectured a high-powered rifle had been used, as the Walker bullet had passed through a plaster wall. 

If one happens upon a scene in which it appears a high-powered bullet was used, in general that suggests a rifle. 

But there are relatively high-powered handguns, such as the .357 Magnums or others. 

The big mystery is why the DPD detective called the Walker slug "steel jacketed." And as pointed out by Gil Jesus, many others in the DPD also witnessed the original Walker slug. 

But CE573 is obviously copper-jacketed. Even a layman can see that.

Again, if I had to bet, I would bet CE573 is not the slug found in the Walker home. 

21 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

If I had to guess, the Dallas Police Department detective on the Walker scene earnestly conjectured a high-powered rifle had been used, as the Walker bullet had passed through a plaster wall. 

If one happens upon a scene in which it appears a high-powered bullet was used, in general that suggests a rifle. 

But there are relatively high-powered handguns, such as the .357 Magnums or others. 

The big mystery is why the DPD detective called the Walker slug "steel jacketed." And as pointed out by Gil Jesus, many others in the DPD also witnessed the original Walker slug. 

But CE573 is obviously copper-jacketed. Even a layman can see that.

Again, if I had to bet, I would bet CE573 is not the slug found in the Walker home. 

Yes I agree there's definitely reason to doubt the official story.