The Education Forum

Did Anyone Ever ID CE 399 as a "Steel Jacketed" Bullet?

Here is the short story:  CE 573, or the Walker Bullet in evidence according to the Warren Commission, is a copper-jacketed slug and obviously so.

The two Dallas Police Department detectives who filed authored and signed official reports on April 10 1963 on the original Walker bullet, attested it was a relatively rare "steel jacketed" bullet. 

Some contend the two detectives just made a mistake, or used common nomenclature for the Walker bullet--even though steel jacketed bullets were a rarity then, and no one seems to have ever used the terms "steel" and "copper"interchangeably when discussing bullet jackets. 

The Warren Commission contends CE573 is of the same make and manufacture as CE399, the famous, near pristine "magic bullet" said to have been found in Parkland Hospital 11/22. 

To my knowledge, no one anytime, anywhere ever---ever!-- referred to CE 399 as "steel  jacketed." 

Is there any record, anywhere, of a police or FBI official referring to CE399 as "steel jacketed"? 

OK, so why would two police detectives  "make a mistake" on CE573, but no one anywhere ever made a mistake on CE399? 

I have never seen any such reference to CE 399 as steel jacketed, at least none I can recall.

And I think I would have recalled it since it would have been jarring.

42 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I have never seen any such reference to CE 399 as steel jacketed, at least none I can recall.

And I think I would have recalled it since it would have been jarring.

Thanks Jim, and certainly if anyone is steeped in JFKA, you are. 

I think we are safe in saying "No one ever referred to CE399 as 'steel jacketed.' Why? Because it is obviously copper-jacketed, and steel-jacketed bullets were a rarity in 1963." 

But, the official story is not one, but two detectives from the DPD ID'ed CE573, purportedly from the very same batch of bullets as CE399, on April 10, 1963 as "steel jacketed," in official reports they authored and signed. 

Add on: CE573 is mangled, with the copper jacket torn asunder, revealing a solid copper jacket.

If there was a textbook picture of a copper-jacketed bullet, it would be CE573.