The Education Forum

Can rifle parts be "interchangeable"?

Fairly straightforward question, in utter ignorance from someone who knows nothing about firearms.

Could the mechanical part of a rifle like the one found in the TSBD be interchangeable with a different or similar woodstock without anyone noticing? Or are the woodstocks very specifically machined to each mechanism?

My kid came home from school yesterday and told me his History Teacher had been teaching them about the Kennedy Assassination So we had a chat... and in an "Out of the mouths of babes..." moment when we were discussing the rifle, along with me showing him the backyard photos alongside CE139 and the different strap arrangements, he asked me this question?

Could the mechanism from Oswalds rifle (the one bearing the alleged palm print) have been swapped out and put in a woodstock with an inset strap?

I said that I had absolutely no idea, that the thought had never occured to me, and that I would ask some American folks that I know, who probably know the answer to that...

1 hour ago, Tommy Tomlinson said:

Fairly straightforward question, in utter ignorance from someone who knows nothing about firearms.

That's a negative.

Firearms are so unique to type, caliber, year made, country of origin, mechanism, and manufacturer, that most parts from different firearms are not interchangeable.

That would require alterations from a weapons expert, a gunsmith, and buddy, that ain't cheap.

Especially if you have a Russian expat wife at the height of the Cold War and a couple of kids to take care of.

It should be noted, that since Mr. Oswald did not fire a weapon that day, the material evidence found in the Sexton Building AKA the Texas School Book Depository, or at the scene of DPD Officer J.D. Tippit's execution, is non plus ultra representational of planted evidence, to the effect of framing Mr. Oswald.

Commission Exhibit 143 and Commission Exhibit 139 are non-starters, in the sense that they have nothing to do with the two murders attributed to Mr. Oswald. 

What they truly represent is that someone took the time, before the assassination, to narrative build, and plant evidence.

That is a gargantuan plot, by zealous fascists.

My recommendation to you is to ignore the physical evidence like rifles, and film, and photographs and police reports, because that is all misdirection.

Instead, ask yourself, who would benefit from removing the man, who had the means to do it, who pulled off coup d'états before, and who pulled off coup d'états afterword.

Believe me, I banged my head about the physical evidence surrounding the weapons now in the National Archives, and none of it has anything to do with the weapons that were actually used that day.

I say again, Mr. Oswald did not fire a weapon that day, so the debates surrounding the weapons are inconsequential.

Edited by Robert Montenegro

3 hours ago, Tommy Tomlinson said:

Could the mechanical part of a rifle like the one found in the TSBD be interchangeable with a different or similar woodstock without anyone noticing? Or are the woodstocks very specifically machined to each mechanism?

My kid came home from school yesterday and told me his History Teacher had been teaching them about the Kennedy Assassination So we had a chat... and in an "Out of the mouths of babes..." moment when we were discussing the rifle, along with me showing him the backyard photos alongside CE139 and the different strap arrangements, he asked me this question?

Could the mechanism from Oswalds rifle (the one bearing the alleged palm print) have been swapped out and put in a woodstock with an inset strap?

I said that I had absolutely no idea, that the thought had never occured to me, and that I would ask some American folks that I know, who probably know the answer to that...

Technically, someone could have swapped out parts from another 42” Carcano. The exact same rifles from the exact same importer Crescent Firearms were sold in Dallas at H.L. Green department store, so it’s not like parts would’ve been hard to come by. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Tomlinson said:

The palmprint was allegedly found on the bottom side of the rifle's barrel, which was only accessible if the wooden stock was removed. IOW, Oswald could not have handled that part of the barrel unless he had first removed the wooden stock.

Also, Lt. J. C. Day, who allegedly found the palmprint, said the print was several "weeks or months" old. 

To answer your question in a general way, yes, most rifle parts can be swapped, IF the rifles are the same make and model. When I was in the Army, we used to take parts from one M-16 rifle and use them for a different M-16 rifle when necessary.

With Savage rifles, you can even swap bolt heads because they are intended to be interchangeable. However, with some types of rifles, you cannot swap bolts without having the bolts fitted and headspaced to the action and barrel, and you must pin the recoil lug.

Thanks everyone. I thought that might be the case, but I'll pass it on to my boy. 

On 7/19/2023 at 1:39 PM, Michael Griffith said:

The palmprint was allegedly found on the bottom side of the rifle's barrel, which was only accessible if the wooden stock was removed. IOW, Oswald could not have handled that part of the barrel unless he had first removed the wooden stock.

Also, Lt. J. C. Day, who allegedly found the palmprint, said the print was several "weeks or months" old. 

To answer your question in a general way, yes, most rifle parts can be swapped, IF the rifles are the same make and model. When I was in the Army, we used to take parts from one M-16 rifle and use them for a different M-16 rifle when necessary.

With Savage rifles, you can even swap bolt heads because they are intended to be interchangeable. However, with some types of rifles, you cannot swap bolts without having the bolts fitted and headspaced to the action and barrel, and you must pin the recoil lug.

I think my boys idea might have come from after I pointed out that the parcel length was too short for Oswald to have carried the rifle, and could have been along the lines of Oswald maybe carrying the mechanism in the parcel, and someone having left a woodstock on site... I'm not entirely sure if he'd asked himself WHY they would do it piecemeal, but if he's asking left field questions about this subject, I'd be a bit of a hypcrite if I didn't listen.

Cheers guys