The Education Forum

Callaway confirms he was told beforehand Tippit killer was in lineup

Gil Jesus

In this video from 1986's "On Trial: Lee Harvey Oswald", Callaway confirms his testimony that he was told prior to viewing the lineup that Tippit's killer was in it. In a legitimate lineup, the police would NOT be telling the witness that the perp was in the lineup.

The purpose of a lineup is for the witness to tell police whether or not the person they saw is in the lineup.

This was just another way for the Dallas cops to try to influence the witnesses' identifcation, which Callaway tried to hide at first.

SPENCE: They didn't say anything to you that would lead you to believe that the man that you saw was the man who supposedly killed the President, did they ?

CALLAWAY: No sir.

Then, when he's faced with his own WC testimony, he testifies to the exact opposite.

At the end of the clip, Callaway says that Oswald and the fillers were all dressed, "about the same", which was a lie, because this is the lineup Callaway saw:

lineups-1-2.png

Ted Callaway never saw Tippit's killer. His whole story is a bunch of BS. You hear what you believe are gunshots so you come out to the street and see a man with a gun heading your way. But you're unarmed. What do you do ?

Confront him out in the open ?

Let him know that you've seen him and that you can identify him ?

I don't buy it.

Then in another video I posted he claims to "faintly, vaguely" remember "the man in the doorway" of the TSBD because he thinks it's Oswald, questioning his cognitive skills.

Callaway also stumbled in his testimony on the CE 150 shirt. He testified that, "when I saw him, he didn't have---I couldn't see this shirt. I saw----he had it open. That shirt was open and I could see his white t-shirt underneath." ( 3 H 356 )

How could Callaway know the shirt was open if he couldn't see it ?

For that matter, how could he know the gunman was even wearing a shirt and not just a t-shirt under the jacket ?

And the final nail in the coffin to his story is that when he arrived at the Tippit murder scene, he asked Domingo Benavides which way Tippit's killer went.

WC_Vol6_452-callaway-asked-which-way.gif

Callaway would never have asked Benavides which way the killer went if he had seen which way the killer went.

Reading his testimony, and listening to him in this mock trial, one gets the impression that Ted Callaway was a witness who was trying to please his masters. Stumbling and bumbling through his story and providing an account that belonged in a hollywood script.

Not only am I convinced that Ted Callaway never saw Tippit's killer, I'm convinced that he ( like Helen Markham ) never saw Oswald. And he would have been destroyed by a competent defense lawyer at trial.

https://gil-jesus.com/the-tippit-witnesses/

Edited by Gil Jesus

8 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

- Ted Calloway -

Mr. BALL. Did he have the same clothes on in the lineup--did the man have the same clothes?
Mr. CALLAWAY. He had the same trousers and shirt, but he didn't have his jacket on. He had ditched his jacket.

How could Calloway have known this, unless somebody told him beforehand?

Steve Thomas

Good Point Steve.

4 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

Good Point Steve.

Gil.

I tried to delete this, but didn't catch it in time.

Somebody could have told Calloway that Oswald had ditched his jacket between the time of Calloway's lineup ID and his WC testimony.

By the time of his WC testimony, Calloway had become aware that Oswald had ditched his jacket.

I'm not sure of the date of Calloway's WC testimony, but I wonder if the police had revealed the jacket ditching to the public at that point.

Steve Thomas

6 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Gil.

Somebody could have told Calloway that Oswald had ditched his jacket between the time of Calloway's lineup ID and his WC testimony.

By the time of his WC testimony, Calloway had become aware that Oswald had ditched his jacket.

I'm not sure of the date of Calloway's WC testimony, but I wonder if the police had revealed the jacket ditching to the public at that point.

Steve Thomas

Callaway WC testimony was Thursday, March 26, 1964

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh3/html/WC_Vol3_0156b.htm

I think he was told before he viewed the lineups

Edited by Gil Jesus

18 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Gil.

Steve Thomas

Here's another thing:

His identification of Oswald in the lineup appears in the typewritten version of his affidavit ( red underline ), but NOT in his handwritten affidavit ( left ). I find it odd that it was added to the typewritten version but he did not write it out. 

handwritten-affi-vs.-typed-affi-11.22.63

If it were part of his affdavit, it should have been written out. I find it troubling that he did not write it out but it was added by police at the end of his affidavit.

Edited by Gil Jesus

Gil,

WC testimony of James Leavelle

https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/leave_j1.htm

Mr. BALL. Do you know what Ted Callaway said?
Mr. LEAVELLE. Not per se; I know they were able to identify Oswald.
Mr. BALL. What was the substance of what he said?
Mr. LEAVELLE. I do not recall.
Mr. BALL. You say "identify"; that doesn't mean much to me because I don't know what he identified him as.
Mr. LEAVELLE. He said he was the man; he identified him as the man he saw running from the direction where the shots came from over in the Oak Cliff area near his carlot.
Mr. BALL. What about Sam Guinyard?
Mr. LEAVELLE. Same thing, practically.
Mr. BALL. Did you take statements from them?
Mr. LEAVELLE. I believe I took affidavits from them, according to my notes, there while we were waiting for them to come down.

If Callaway identified Oswald as the number 2 man in the lineup in his typed affidavit, he couldn't have done that before Oswald ever came down.

I noticed that Callaway signed his typed copy, but didn't sign his handwritten copy.

I think what they did was have the witmess write down his afidavit, and then after the lineup, while he was sitting there; had Patsy Collins type it up. Leavelle then asked him if there was anything more he wanted to add, or probably suggested to him that it would look better, if he added this other piece of information.

But Callaway's typed affidvait was definitely not done before the lineup.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Gil,

WC testimony of James Leavelle

https://www.jfk-assassination.net/russ/testimony/leave_j1.htm

Mr. BALL. Do you know what Ted Callaway said?
Mr. LEAVELLE. Not per se; I know they were able to identify Oswald.
Mr. BALL. What was the substance of what he said?
Mr. LEAVELLE. I do not recall.
Mr. BALL. You say "identify"; that doesn't mean much to me because I don't know what he identified him as.
Mr. LEAVELLE. He said he was the man; he identified him as the man he saw running from the direction where the shots came from over in the Oak Cliff area near his carlot.
Mr. BALL. What about Sam Guinyard?
Mr. LEAVELLE. Same thing, practically.
Mr. BALL. Did you take statements from them?
Mr. LEAVELLE. I believe I took affidavits from them, according to my notes, there while we were waiting for them to come down.

If Callaway identified Oswald as the number 2 man in the lineup in his typed affidavit, he couldn't have done that before Oswald ever came down.

I noticed that Callaway signed his typed copy, but didn't sign his handwritten copy.

I think what they did was have the witmess write down his afidavit, and then after the lineup, while he was sitting there; had Patsy Collins type it up. Leavelle then asked him if there was anything more he wanted to add, or probably suggested to him that it would look better, if he added this other piece of information.

But Callaway's typed affidvait was definitely not done before the lineup.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve I get it. But they didn't do the same thing with Guinyard's affidavits. The part where he identifies Oswald from the lineup is added to the written affidavit at the bottom in shorthand. I'm just puzzled why they didn't do the same thing with Callaway's. I'd expect them to handle the affidavits the same way but they didn't.

guinyard-written-affi-vs.-typed-affi.jpg

Edited by Gil Jesus

3 hours ago, Gil Jesus said:

Thanks Steve I get it. But they didn't do the same thing with Guinyard's affidavits. The part where he identifies Oswald from the lineup is added to the written affidavit at the bottom in shorthand. I'm just puzzled why they didn't do the same thing with Callaway's. I'd expect them to handle the affidavits the same way but they didn't.

Gil,

Different Clerk Stenographers.

Patsy Collins and Mary Rattan were both Clerk Stenographers for the DPD's  CID, or Criminal Intelligence  Division. 

See p. 146 of Batchelor's Exhi it# 5002 here:  https://maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1136#relPageId=165

Mary handled Guinyard's affidavit and Patsy handled Calloway's.

Actually, Mary is identified as a Steno and Patsy as a Clerk. Maybe Patsy didn't do stenography.

Steve Thomas

8 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Gil,

Different Clerk Stenographers.

Patsy Collins and Mary Rattan were both Clerk Stenographers for the DPD's  CID, or Criminal Intelligence  Division. 

See p. 146 of Batchelor's Exhi it# 5002 here:  https://maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1136#relPageId=165

Mary handled Guinyard's affidavit and Patsy handled Calloway's.

Actually, Mary is identified as a Steno and Patsy as a Clerk. Maybe Patsy didn't do stenography.

Steve Thomas

ok Thanks Steve