The Education Forum

Were the DPD at Oswald's Place the Day Before?

and were they looking for a notebook? And why were they there before Oswald was apprehended?

Jim

Examination of DPD tapes is proving fruitful. 

There is a radio entry for DPD Platoon 2 that contradicts police evidence to the Warren Commission. 

Why were Dallas police at 1026 N. Beckley at 1:31pm shortly after Tippit was shot?

They are looking for a notebook that they had seen there the day before…..

DPD radio calls:- 

Dispatch. Any detective on the air that picked up a notebook from 1026 N . Beckley . . . . (no answer) 

Dispatch.  Any detective unit that picked up a notebook from 1026 N . Beckley, call 531 .

581  “581”

Disp  “581” 

581  “That notebook in question is that an officer's field notebook or was that one of the school type notebook?”

Disp  “It's a news reporter's notebook and was black .” 

581  “I did not see it yesterday . The only other thing that I saw was one of these school type notebooks with a cloth-pasteboard type cover. It was on the desk in the hall going into the kitchen.”

Disp  “10-4 . I don't believe that was it, 1:31 pm” [time stamp]

This is in the April 1964 WC705 transcript, tucked away with calls about traffic jams. No one seems to have written about it. 

Earlene Roberts, and each of the Johnsons said in their Warren Commission evidence that detectives arrived about 30 minutes after “Oswald” had left and that the Johnsons has arrived back shortly after 1:00pm. 

They said the police were interested in “Lee Harvey Oswald” and they said that the police arrived as a result of the shooting of officer Tippit. 

This 1:31pm DPD presence at 1026 N Beckley fits with that timeline. 

But DPD told the Warren Commission that they did not know of the 1026 N Beckley address until after Oswald was arrested (1:51pm) and after Fritz sent officers to the Paine House in Irving, where they got the 1026 N Beckley address,  and that Fritz then dispatched them to 1026 at 2:40pm. TSBD only had his Irving address. 

So at 1:31pm these detectives were responding to the wallet found at the Tippit murder scene that had the Oswald and Alek Hidel IDs, that was then ‘unfound’. 

This sits with the Tippit murder at 1:09pm (so does timing the tapes of the Bowley call from time elapsed from the pre-1pm time calls, the ambulance movements do as well for DOA at 1:15pm at Methodist Hospital). 

Some people have said Reserve Sergeant Croy was coming from the rear of the house where Tippit was shot - 410 East 10th - as the ambulance was leaving (approximately 1:13pm). With that scenario, the planted wallet was the catalyst for Fritz to send detectives to 1026 North Beckley. 

But more incriminating for the DPD. Why were these detectives at 1026 N Beckley there the day before the assassination?

Any planted wallet would be a mere prop if a search of 1026 N Beckley had taken place the day before. 

We know DPD tampered the tape to change time of Tippit’s death and we know both Tippit and Angell were at Lansing and 8th. At 12:42 and 12:54pm. (One mistranscribed one left out). The Lansing St block of 8th is where some have said Olsen was at. 

We also know Officer Nelson cannot have been coming from his south Dallas patrol district at 12:45pm in response to the 12:45pm dispatch request (the call that has him heading north on Marsallis at RL Thornton). His 2013 CBS interview put him in Dealey Plaza at 12:32pm as he’d been waiting at the west end of the Commerce Street viaduct at 12:30pm and drove over the viaduct to Dealey Plaza whilst people were still taking cover lying on the ground. 

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

and were they looking for a notebook? And why were they there before Oswald was apprehended?

Jim

Examination of DPD tapes is proving fruitful. 

There is a radio entry for DPD Platoon 2 that contradicts police evidence to the Warren Commission. 

Why were Dallas police at 1026 N. Beckley at 1:31pm shortly after Tippit was shot?

They are looking for a notebook that they had seen there the day before…..

DPD radio calls:- 

Dispatch. Any detective on the air that picked up a notebook from 1026 N . Beckley . . . . (no answer) 

Dispatch.  Any detective unit that picked up a notebook from 1026 N . Beckley, call 531 .

581  “581”

Disp  “581” 

581  “That notebook in question is that an officer's field notebook or was that one of the school type notebook?”

Disp  “It's a news reporter's notebook and was black .” 

581  “I did not see it yesterday . The only other thing that I saw was one of these school type notebooks with a cloth-pasteboard type cover. It was on the desk in the hall going into the kitchen.”

Disp  “10-4 . I don't believe that was it, 1:31 pm” [time stamp]

This is in the April 1964 WC705 transcript, tucked away with calls about traffic jams. No one seems to have written about it. 

Jim,

These radio transmissions date from the next day (November 23rd)

You can see these in CE705 page 437 here:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1134#relPageId=463\

If you scroll up a couple of pages to page 435, you can see the clock roll over from midnight of the 22nd to the next day, the 23rd.

According to my notes, Unit 581 belonged to Officer's, J. P. David (and) L. Johnson. They don't appear in Batchelor's Exhibit# 5002, so I can't tell you if they were in the Patrol Division or the Traffic Division.

I do not know how the Police First learned that Oswald lived on Beckley. I do know that because the Dallas Police had to wait out in the car for 30-40 minutes until officers from Irving showed up at the Irving address, the DPD actually began searching the Beckley address before they knocked on the front door at Irving and found Ruth Paine's notebook with Oswald's phone number in it that they criss-crossed.

Lately, I have been plagued by the question, not only how did they know he lived on Beckley, but why did they know.

Steve Thomas

Thanks for that Steve.