The Education Forum

Different Kinds of Bullets for the 6.5 Mannlicher Carcano

There has been some interest of late about bullets used in the Mannlicher-Carcano. 

There is no indication that LHO, or other person, used anything but standard Western Cartridge 6.5 copper-jacketed bullets, evidently Cold War surplus or diversion, though how LHO got the bullets is a mystery (at least to me). 

But this a fascinating page of dozens of variations of bullets that can used in the Mannlicher-Carcano, including frangible and even wooden slugs (I never heard of such slugs before). 

https://cartridgecollector.net/cartridge/65-x-52-mannlicher-carcano/

Interesting, if not relevant. 

6 hours ago, Michael Crane said:

The Carcano was the planted weapon.The bullets don't matter.

Well, maybe. 

If Landis' memory is correct, CE399, or a slug just like it, was found on the rear seat of the presidential limo in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. I think too soon for it to have been planted. 

That would indicate JFK was fired upon with a Western Cartridge bullet, and a Mannlicher Carcano rifle. 

3 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Well, maybe. 

If Landis' memory is correct, CE399, or a slug just like it, was found on the rear seat of the presidential limo in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. I think too soon for it to have been planted. 

That would indicate JFK was fired upon with a Western Cartridge bullet, and a Mannlicher Carcano rifle. 

Landis is mistaken IMO on the time he found it.In fact,I don't think he found it at all.All metal bullets/fragments/shells in this case is suspect/planted IMO.

Edited by Michael Crane