The Education Forum

Leon E. Grey--one of the lead motorcyclists

In reviewing my materials on the lead car, I realized that I have no quotes whatsoever from Leon E. Grey, one of the three motorcyclists out in front of the lead car, along with Stavis Ellis and William Lumpkin. Does anyone know anything about him? Was he ever interviewed? While he was pretty far away, and probably didn't see anything, I find it surprising that I can find no quotes from him. 

Any help appreciated. 

Hi Pat:

No real help here as I assume you have scoured all the usual sources regarding Leon Gray. Just a curiosity on my part, however. I find it interesting that during his April 8, 1964 deposition session with David Belin that Gerald Hill, sergeant DPD, indicated to Belin that he thought that an individual appearing, left hand side of G. L. Hill Deposition Exhibit B [20H156], a photograph of Oswald being led from the theatre, "...could be an officer name L. E. Gray..." though Hill did indicate that he could not be positive about this identification. If it was Gray, how did he end up at the theatre. 

FWIW

4 hours ago, Gary Murr said:

Hi Pat:

No real help here as I assume you have scoured all the usual sources regarding Leon Gray. Just a curiosity on my part, however. I find it interesting that during his April 8, 1964 deposition session with David Belin that Gerald Hill, sergeant DPD, indicated to Belin that he thought that an individual appearing, left hand side of G. L. Hill Deposition Exhibit B [20H156], a photograph of Oswald being led from the theatre, "...could be an officer name L. E. Gray..." though Hill did indicate that he could not be positive about this identification. If it was Gray, how did he end up at the theatre. 

FWIW

Thanks, Gary. In looking for anything on Grey, I did find a Jim Murray photo of him on the right of the shooting, talking with Jim Chaney. But that's about it. 

Edited by Pat Speer

On 2/24/2024 at 4:53 PM, Pat Speer said:

In reviewing my materials on the lead car, I realized that I have no quotes whatsoever from Leon E. Grey, one of the three motorcyclists out in front of the lead car, along with Stavis Ellis and William Lumpkin. Does anyone know anything about him? Was he ever interviewed? While he was pretty far away, and probably didn't see anything, I find it surprising that I can find no quotes from him. 

Any help appreciated. 

Pat,

There is an interview with fellow motorcycle officer, Bill Lumpkin at kenrahn.com

https://kenrahn.com/JFK/History/The_deed/Sneed/Lumpkin.html

This is one of the interviews in Larry Sneed's, No More Silence.

He mentions Leon Gray several times.

On at least two occasions, Lumpkin says that the lead motorcyclists were stopped on Elm St. between Houston and the underpass when the shots rang out.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Pat,

P.S.

You will find all these motorcycle guys in Batchelor's Exhibit# 5002. They were all in the

Traffic Division, Solo Motorcycle and Special Enforcement Monthly Detail

Page 134 of the Exhibit, page 17 of Batchelor's Report

https://maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1136#relPageId=152

You'll find them all there: Gray, Lumpkin, Ellis, Chaney, Hargis, Haygood, Baker, Dale, etc.

Maybe you'll pick up a reference to Gray in some of their accounts.

Steve Thomas

38 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Pat,

There is an interview with fellow motorcycle officer, Bill Lumpkin at kenrahn.com

https://kenrahn.com/JFK/History/The_deed/Sneed/Lumpkin.html

I do not know where or when this interview took place.

He mentions Leon Gray several times.

On at least two occasions, Lumpkin says that the lead motorcyclists were stopped on Elm St. between Houston and the underpass when the shots rang out.

Steve Thomas

Thanks, Steve. Lumpkin was in part the inspiration behind my recent interest in Grey. In re-reading the quotes I attribute to Lumpkin on my website, I realized that my conclusion he was erratic was based in large part on my assumption Lumpkin was Officer B in Bowles' book. But what if this was Grey? I don't have Bowles' book handy. (It was published as an appendix to First Day Evidence.)

Is there anything in Bowles' book to suggest Officer B was Lumpkin, and not Grey? Was Grey even alive in the 80's? 

P.S. I just re-read Officer B's statements and it's clear he's Lumpkin, as he was photographed by Mary Moorman. 

Edited by Pat Speer

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Pat,

His last name is spelled Gray.

Steve

I've seen it spelled both ways, but it's spelled Gray in Bowles' book, so I'll go with that. Thanks.