The Education Forum

As we wait for Iran to attack us

Israel bombs Iran’s embassy in Syria, killing several Iranian commanders. Well guess what. When commanders are killed, they are simply replaced. So what was accomplished? Who benefited from Israel inviting absolutely certain Iranian retaliation, against both Israel and US interests, since Iran of course holds us partly to blame? In all the news coverage about this bombing and the anticipated retaliation, I haven’t heard one comment about why Israel did it, just when the US government is reportedly worried about a wider war in the Middle East, with the US of course sucked into it. Does anyone have a theory?

Ron,

Israel and the Neocons from the Bush/Cheney administration -- Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, et.al. -- have been trying to draw the U.S. into a war against Iran for the past 25+ years.

It was the last objective of the Neocon Project for a New American Century-- launched immediately after 9/11.

General Wesley Clark claims that he was briefed in the Pentagon, shortly after 9/11, about the Rumsfeld- Wolfowitz - Feith plan to "take out" several countries in several years-- beginning with Iraq and Syria, and culminating with Iran.

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

Israel and the Neocons from the Bush/Cheney administration -- Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, et.al. -- have been trying to draw the U.S. into a war against Iran for the past 25+ years.

It was the last objective of the Neocon Project for a New American Century-- launched immediately after 9/11.

General Wesley Clark claims that he was briefed in the Pentagon, shortly after 9/11, about the Rumsfeld- Wolfowitz - Feith plan to "take out" several countries in several years-- beginning with Iraq and Syria, and culminating with Iran.

Yeah, I remember the phrase "conquest of the MIddle East." Syria was to be the first country taken. Somehow things just didn't pan out. Or things didn't go Syriaously. Now I guess Israel attacking the Iranian embassy in Syria is (to paraphrase the PNAC) Iran's "Pearl Harbor." Looking at the bright side, I guess it's best to go to war with Iran before it has nuclear weapons. Wait, maybe therein lies the "who benefits." 

14 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Yeah, I remember the phrase "conquest of the MIddle East." Syria was to be the first country taken. Somehow things just didn't pan out. Or things didn't go Syriaously. Now I guess Israel attacking the Iranian embassy in Syria is (to paraphrase the PNAC) Iran's "Pearl Harbor." Looking at the bright side, I guess it's best to go to war with Iran before it has nuclear weapons. Wait, maybe therein lies the "who benefits." 

University of Michigan Professor Juan Cole wonders if the Israeli bombing of the Iranian consulate in Damascus was done with the intention of drawing the U.S. military into a war with Iran.

PNAC Revisited.

Was Israel's Strike on Iranian Embassy in Damascus an attempt to draw the US into the War? (juancole.com)

Edited by W. Niederhut

57 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

University of Michigan Professor Juan Cole wonders if the Israeli bombing of the Iranian consulate in Damascus was done with the intention of drawing the U.S. military into a war with Iran.

PNAC Revisited.

Was Israel's Strike on Iranian Embassy in Damascus an attempt to draw the US into the War? (juancole.com)

I'll buy that. I just wish someone, anyone, in the mainstream would say it. Maybe I've missed it. I'll say this anyway. Netanyahu is really a nice guy.