The Education Forum

This is Hollywood, Right?

Posted (edited)

So now we go from Mamet and Barry Levinson to Roland Joffe?

How does a project, with Pacino, Viggo M, and Travolta get ditched for Joffe?

Only in TInsel Town.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/november-1963-killing-president-jfk-roland-joffe-mob-1235996417/

Edited by James DiEugenio

24 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

So now we go from Mamet and Barry Levinson to Roland Joffe?

How does a project, with Pacino, Viggo M, and Travolta get ditched for Joffe?

Only in TInsel Town.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/november-1963-killing-president-jfk-roland-joffe-mob-1235996417/

Have the actors all been ditched as well? 

Well if they were promised Mamet and Levinson and now to Joffe? 

Who has not had a hit movie since The Killing Fields back in the 1980's and has done a lot of TV since?

I think Celozzi did not like the idea that the film was getting away from him.

And he decided to start over.

But its still a BS story anyway.

And BTW, Joffe had not just been without a hit since The Killing Fields, but his films for theaters have been bomb after bomb.  Not only do they not make money, they lose millions.  Sometimes tens of millions.

For one example, compare his film about the creation of the atomic bomb, Fat Man and LIttle Boy with Chris Nolan's recent film, Oppenheimer.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

And BTW, Joffe had not just been without a hit since The Killing Fields, but his films for theaters have been bomb after bomb.  Not only do they not make money, they lose millions.  Sometimes tens of millions.

For one example, compare his film about the creation of the atomic bomb, Fat Man and LIttle Boy with Chris Nolan's recent film, Oppenheimer.  

I think you're exaggerating the commercial success of Levinson. While he has had some success in TV, he hasn't had a hit at the box office in decades. As for Mamet, his track record in recent years is also weak. Now, I would agree that the odds of a critical success went down with the move from Mamet to Levinson to Joffe, but financial success? It's a craps-shoot no matter who is involved. I'm guessing this will go straight to streaming. And be pretty much ignored. 

Edited by Pat Speer

Well Pat, that is true, the movie business is a craps shoot most of the time. (Unless its a sequel to Indiana Jones or Star Wars.)

All I am saying if that Barry did have two hits since 1984 and The Killing Fields, namely Wag the Dog and Rain Man.

But yes, its a crap shoot.  After all, Lucas had trouble selling the first Star Wars.