The Education Forum

Interesting Same Day Account of When Clay Shaw Was Ordered to Stand Trial

This newspaper is the Paducah Sun-Democrat, undated, but I think 1967 on the day a three-judge Louisiana panel ordered Clay to stand trial, after a Grand Jury indicted him. 

Imagine a small-town paper today sending a reporter or correspondent to cover such a trial.  The Paducah Sun-Democrat still exists, btw. 

The reporter, Corinne Whitehead, does a credible job, and alludes to "murder" in her final three paragraphs. She does not try to discredit Vernon Bundy, who said he saw Clay giving money to LHO.  She suggests the public is getting a sanitized version of the proceeding. 

I think the big anti-Garrison Op Mock began in earnest after this. 

(Of course, after Clay was ultimately acquitted it came out Clay had been on CIA payrolls.) 

]Screen-Shot-2567-07-30-at-19-21-45.png

Wow!

What a great account piece written by this small town newspaper reporter!

Just love her style of reporting ( with colorful brushstrokes of personal reflections )  that captured not just the electricity of the entire courtroom drama but kept it framed and grounded in an honest real-life human way.

Her article, even as short as it was, packed an exciting / want to know more punch.

Earnest Hemingway admired Dorothy Kilgallen couldn't have done better.

Thanks for posting this B. Cole.

I had never known much about the legal proceeding build-up to the Clay Shaw trial. 

This Paducah reporter gave us a very small but fascinating window into the entire affair, especially with her personal summation reflections during the hearing and after it was all over as she walked into the outside world of reality.

She lastly reflected about the entire affair being so sordid in so many human frailty and debauchery ways that typically most editors would not want to cover it and report it in full measure way. At least that's what I read into her comments.

What a surreal stage play Clay Shaw lived in. 

Whenever I think of Clay Shaw I think of a sophisticate who had at some point became a morally corrupted addict owned by his own deepest self-indulging compulsive needs and confused as to what he had become in his self-aware reality mind.

I remember his highly choreographed damage control interview that was made public where he lied his a$$ off when asked if he was ever connected to the agency.

A proven lie.

I trusted drug addict Vernon Bundy's honesty way more than Shaw's.

Shaw's...not at all.

Edited by Joe Bauer

8 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Wow!

What a great account piece written by this small town newspaper reporter!

Just love her style of reporting ( with colorful brushstrokes of personal reflections )  that captured not just the electricity of the entire courtroom drama but kept it framed and grounded in an honest real-life human way.

Her article, even as short as it was, packed an exciting / want to know more punch.

Earnest Hemingway admired Dorothy Kilgallen couldn't have done better.

Thanks for posting this B. Cole.

I had never known much about the legal proceeding build-up to the Clay Shaw trial. 

This Paducah reporter gave us a very small but fascinating window into the entire affair, especially with her personal summation reflections during the hearing and after it was all over as she walked into the outside world of reality.

She lastly reflected about the entire affair being so sordid in so many human frailty and debauchery ways that typically most editors would not want to cover it and report it in full measure way. At least that's what I read into her comments.

What a surreal stage play Clay Shaw lived in. 

Whenever I think of Clay Shaw I think of a sophisticate who had at some point became a morally corrupted addict owned by his own deepest self-indulging compulsive needs and confused as to what he had become in his self-aware reality mind.

I remember his highly choreographed damage control interview that was made public where he lied his a$$ off when asked if he was ever connected to the agency.

A proven lie.

I trusted drug addict Vernon Bundy's honesty way more than Shaw's.

Shaw's...not at all.

JB-

Thank you for your collegial comments.

I will try to track down if the reporter, Corinne Whitehead, ever went back to New Orleans or if she  got Op Mocked out of the picture.