The Education Forum

CFR member professor Douglas Brinkley went 100% Lone Nutter on 50th Anniversary of the JFK Assassination (11/17/2013)

9 minutes ago, Robert Morrow said:

It was called "yellow journalism" and it preceded WWI. Think all the war mongering newspapers promoting the Spanish-American War so the USA could take Cuba and the Philippines.

You're right. Heck, I was just at Hearst Castle. A castle built on yellow journalism. 

P.S. Thanks for bringing my attention to that Brinkley appearance in 2013. I have added it to my blog. 

6 minutes ago, Robert Morrow said:

It was called "yellow journalism" and it preceded WWI. Think all the war mongering newspapers promoting the Spanish-American War so the USA could take Cuba and the Philippines.

Robert,

Sigmund Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays, was, apparently, the Godfather of modern propaganda.

I read his book, Propaganda, several years ago.  Allegedly, it was one of Joseph Goebbel's favorite books.

Propaganda: Edward Bernays, Mark Crispin Miller: 8601404243394: Amazon.com: Books

If I recall correctly, Bernays was involved in Woodrow Wilson's WWI propaganda campaign to promote public support for Wilson's 1917 decision to enter WWI.

(Ironically, Wilson was re-elected in November of 1916 with the slogan, "He Kept Us Out of the War.")

4161253.JPG

Bernay's was also involved in a great deal of 20th century corporate advertising, while actively encouraging the Captains of Industry in the U.S. to warn the American public about communism.

I-Married-a-Communist.jpg

47 minutes ago, Robert Morrow said:

Yes, but it took a dramatic leap under the pre-WW2 FDR administration. FDR allowed British intelligence free reign to conduct surveillance, black bag jobs and blackmail operations against US citizens and organizations that opposed American intervention. They also planted fake stories in foreign media outlets with the intention that they would be picked up in American media outlets just as the CIA later did under Mockingbird. Also tried to manipulate public opinion polls to minimize opposition to American intervention. Future public relations guru David Ogilvy was involved in this operation.

During one “Fireside Chat”, FDR referred to a map captured from German sources that purported to show how Germany planned to carve up South America after it’s conquest. The map was fabricated by British intelligence.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/61714/astounding-counterfeit-nazi-invasion-map-youve-never-heard

Henry Wallace was not the first presidential candidate to be sidelined by British intelligence. In 1940, Robert Taft was rejected in favor of Wendell Wilkie as the republican presidential candidate. The fingerprints of British intelligence are all over the Wilkie nomination from the NY Herald Tribune (considered by FDR administration Adolf Berle to be a tool of British intelligence) to the Fight for Freedom organization of which Wilkie was on the Executive Board and which was a front for British interests.

There is an interesting story about Churchill intending to call Wilkie and calling FDR by mistake asking Wilkie if he could visit with him while in Washington. A stunned FDR informed Churchill that he was talking to FDR.

Up until a few months before his nomination as a republican, Wilkie was a democrat who fully supported FDR’s foreign policy, Destroyers for Bases, Lend-Lease and American entry into the war.

7 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

You're right. Heck, I was just at Hearst Castle. A castle built on yellow journalism. 

P.S. Thanks for bringing my attention to that Brinkley appearance in 2013. I have added it to my blog. 

I just emailed you my "Lone Nutters and their Credentials" file. I continually update it and add to it every time I see an outbreak of lone nutterism by an opinion maker.

6 hours ago, Kevin Balch said:

Yes, but it took a dramatic leap under the pre-WW2 FDR administration. FDR allowed British intelligence free reign to conduct surveillance, black bag jobs and blackmail operations against US citizens and organizations that opposed American intervention. They also planted fake stories in foreign media outlets with the intention that they would be picked up in American media outlets just as the CIA later did under Mockingbird. Also tried to manipulate public opinion polls to minimize opposition to American intervention. Future public relations guru David Ogilvy was involved in this operation.

During one “Fireside Chat”, FDR referred to a map captured from German sources that purported to show how Germany planned to carve up South America after it’s conquest. The map was fabricated by British intelligence.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/61714/astounding-counterfeit-nazi-invasion-map-youve-never-heard

Henry Wallace was not the first presidential candidate to be sidelined by British intelligence. In 1940, Robert Taft was rejected in favor of Wendell Wilkie as the republican presidential candidate. The fingerprints of British intelligence are all over the Wilkie nomination from the NY Herald Tribune (considered by FDR administration Adolf Berle to be a tool of British intelligence) to the Fight for Freedom organization of which Wilkie was on the Executive Board and which was a front for British interests.

There is an interesting story about Churchill intending to call Wilkie and calling FDR by mistake asking Wilkie if he could visit with him while in Washington. A stunned FDR informed Churchill that he was talking to FDR.

Up until a few months before his nomination as a republican, Wilkie was a democrat who fully supported FDR’s foreign policy, Destroyers for Bases, Lend-Lease and American entry into the war.

Winston Churchill, mass murderer of Indians https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3005838/churchills-real-darkest-hour-new-evidence-confirms-british

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2024 at 2:22 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Robert,

Sigmund Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays, was, apparently, the Godfather of modern propaganda.

I read his book, Propaganda, several years ago.  Allegedly, it was one of Joseph Goebbel's favorite books.

Propaganda: Edward Bernays, Mark Crispin Miller: 8601404243394: Amazon.com: Books

If I recall correctly, Bernays was involved in Woodrow Wilson's WWI propaganda campaign to promote public support for Wilson's 1917 decision to enter WWI.

(Ironically, Wilson was re-elected in November of 1916 with the slogan, "He Kept Us Out of the War.")

4161253.JPG

Bernay's was also involved in a great deal of 20th century corporate advertising, while actively encouraging the Captains of Industry in the U.S. to warn the American public about communism.

I-Married-a-Communist.jpg

When I was in school at PRINCETON in the 1980s, one of the books we were assigned to read was Bitter Fruit by Stephen Kinzer. It is about the USA overthrowing the Guatemalan government in 1954. Edward Bernays and his propaganda played a prominent role in fooling the Guatemalan president to resign and be replaced by some pretty savage dictators in Guatemala.

https://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Fruit-American-Guatemala-Expanded/dp/067401930X

At PRINCETON the topic of U.S imperialism at a hot topic in the 1980s but anything coming close to truth on the JFK assassination was COMPLETELY FORBIDDEN.

Edited by Robert Morrow

1 hour ago, Robert Morrow said:

When I was in school at PRINCETON in the 1980s, one of the books we were assigned to read was Bitter Fruit by Stephen Kinzer. It is about the USA overthrowing the Guatemalan government in 1954. Edward Bernays and his propaganda played a prominent role in fooling the Guatemalan president to resign and be replace by some pretty savage dictators in Guatemala.

At PRINCETON the topic of U.S imperialism at a hot topic in the 1980s but anything coming close to truth on the JFK assassination was COMPLETELY FORBIDDEN.

Bernays created the blueprint for many a propaganda campaign. But as I recall the propaganda maestros for the Guatemala op were E.. Howard Hunt and David Atlee Phillips. 

2 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Bernays created the blueprint for many a propaganda campaign. But as I recall the propaganda maestros for the Guatemala op were E.. Howard Hunt and David Atlee Phillips. 

I stand corrected. Bernays is mentioned in the book Bitter Fruit (I think ....)

16 hours ago, Robert Morrow said:

When I was in school at PRINCETON in the 1980s, one of the books we were assigned to read was Bitter Fruit by Stephen Kinzer. It is about the USA overthrowing the Guatemalan government in 1954. Edward Bernays and his propaganda played a prominent role in fooling the Guatemalan president to resign and be replace by some pretty savage dictators in Guatemala.

Thanks for the Kinzer reference, Robert.  I'll probably read Bitter Fruit.

I thought Kinzer's books, The Brothers and Poisoner-in-Chief, were excellent.

Kinzer currently teaches at Brown, BTW.  Hail Brunonia!  😬