The Education Forum

The Dumaine St. Wharf FPCC Leaflet

Jean Ceulemans posted an interesting document (CE 1412) on another thread which I felt warranted its own thread due to its importance. This document shows one of the FPCC leaflets which LHO gave out at the Dumain St. Wharf around mid June 1963. Patrolman Girod Ray attained the leaflet and kept a copy of it which he produced to the FBI in the summer of 1964.

As you can see, the address which LHO would have stamped onto the leaflet is blocked out. As this leaflet is very close in time to the timeframe when LHO said he had an office in New Orleans (as he wrote in a letter to V.T. Lee), the likelihood is that the address blocked out is non other than the 544 Camp Street address.

We do have a Corless Lamont pamphlet with the 544 Camp Street address which Oswald had on him in Aug 1963, but we’ve never had one of the actual FPCC leaflets with the 544 Camp Street address stamped on it. It would appear this is one of these leaflets. It’s just the 544 Camp Street address is blocked out.

So who blocked it out? Was it Oswald himself? Or the FBI? Or someone else? There appears to be a second smudge off to the right of where the stamped address would be. This second smudge appears to be something else that was blocked out.

Any thoughts?

Here is the leaflet (with what appears to be a second leaflet "The Truth About Cuba" LHO was handing out also which references President Kennedy):

Leaflet.jpg

LINK: https://historymatters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1412.pdf 

(NOTE: The above link goes to a PDF of CE1412. On page 3 of that PDF, the numbers of the pages appear to be numbered starting at 1 and going to number 7 on the last page of the PDF. This is why there is a no. 5 written on the bottom of the above FPCC leafet and the no. 6 printed on the second leaflet on the right above which references President Kennedy.)

It a strange thing for sure.

The officer could not remember the name, but was sure he had written it on a piece of paper (why not on the leaflet, or was it?). 

Only much later, when having seen LHO on TV in november he was sure it was Lee he had seen 5 months earlier.

LHO designed it for Jones Printing, but the pick-up was odd I believe. Not sure about the dates either. It has been sometime and haven´t got my notes at hand here.

As I´m volunteering, taking emergency calls a couple of nights a week.  I am not a psychiater, but we get a lot of calls from people going to one, high on the list are bad reactions to anti -depressive medications. Usually good stuff in the long end, but in the beginning sometimes a serious risk, I can only hope there is a better follow-up i  the US.  Sorry, getting destracted. 

Ok, I'm back, what a night (and day), Aug. 15... each year it's often the same (holiday in these parts)

So I took a look at my notes, and made a quick summary, interesting is the contact names and addresses on the literature taken from Oswald on Aug 9, it's really a mix.   The USS Wasp event was only 3 days after a change of address from Mag Str to the PO Box, it is possible he wiped out Mag. Str on some of the literature.

Chronology in short:

5/29 orders 1000 FPCC handbills/Jones Printing Co/as Lee Osborne

6/03 orders 500 FPCC appl. Forms/Mailers Service/as Lee Osborne

6/04 picks up 1000 at Jones Pr Co, invoice Osborne

6/05 picks up 500 pcs at Mailers Service and orders 500 membership cards, writes FPCC and added samples of handbills and applic.

6/10 sends samples to the Worker

6/12 change of address Mag.Str to PO Box and ‘Militant FPCC’ (?)

6/15 USS Wasp

6/16 USS Wasp (handbill with wiped out contact)

7/?? refusal by Johnson Trout Pr. To print 3000 handbills (incomplete/part of a letter)

8/?? Letters to FPCC about renting an office, etc

8/09 gets arrested, fight with Bring. etc, 700 Block Canal str., had with him :

-          FPCC pamphlet "Crime against Cuba" with 544 Camp Str

-          FPCC application forms with AJ Hidel Po box

-          FPCC "Drums of War" Lee H. Oswald, 4907 Mag.Str.

-          FPCC handbill, AJ Hidell, PO Box

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

1 hour ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

6/12 change of address Mag.Str to PO Box and ‘Militant FPCC’ (?)

Do you have a source on this? As far as I know, Oswald filed publisher CoA forms  from the apartment to the box with the Worker, Militant, and I think the FPCC, but never changed his primary mailing address with the Post Office.

1 minute ago, Tom Gram said:

Do you have a source on this? As far as I know, Oswald filed publisher CoA forms  from the apartment to the box with the Worker, Militant, and I think the FPCC, but never changed his primary mailing address with the Post Office.

Will check, my notes were unclear to myself (oops....), so I added the question mark. Now, I was focussed on the changed FPCC mailing address in regard to the wiped out FPCC contact a few days later.

The blocked out text is unusual in the sense that these leaflets were yellow in color and it would appear the marker used to block out the text was of a similar light color, perhaps also yellow or a light grey. But one would imagine if you used a yellow or light grey marker for example, that that would not be enough to cover out the black stamped address underneath. You would think the stamped address would show through a light colored marker that was attempting to cover over it. 

23 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

You are correct, I was misled by the change of his mailing address for the FPCC lit, I do not have a date for that one (well, I did not write it down, not sure why/what, need to check that further).   The publisher CoA for the Militant and the Worker was June 12.  

6 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

The blocked out text is unusual in the sense that these leaflets were yellow in color and it would appear the marker used to block out the text was of a similar light color, perhaps also yellow or a light grey. But one would imagine if you used a yellow or light grey marker for example, that that would not be enough to cover out the black stamped address underneath. You would think the stamped address would show through a light colored marker that was attempting to cover over it. 

It would indeed be interesting to find out where the original has gone. 

14 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

It would appear something thicker than a marker was used to block out the stamped address. Perhaps Oswald used a paint brush to ensure enough thickness of a light color would cover over the stamp.

Did Oswald have access to a paint set? Were any paints found among his possessions after the assassination?

Paint.jpg

I know only there was some confusion of him buying a second stamping set.

And there was the "Brush in Can" cap, he used it to make a stamp that looked official (,that was pretty inventive of him) on the Vaccination Certificate. But I don´t know what kind of stuff was in that can itself, paint or varnish.. 

Edited by Jean Ceulemans