The Education Forum

news about the Darnell film

32 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Hi David. The difference isn't great, but I did use the version on the 6FM website:

https://www.jfk.org/nbc-5-archive/ (you need to scroll right a few times)

OK. Thanks.

I can see, though, that it appears to be the exact same video file that's been uploaded to the 6FM YouTube channel. Same exact running time and same exact captions at the bottom of the screen.

Edited by David Von Pein

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

OK. Thanks.

But, of course, the video file that's available on the 6FM site at jfk.org is the exact same video file that was uploaded by the 6FM to the Museum's YouTube channel. Same exact running time and same exact captions at the bottom of the screen.*

* Sandy will likely argue that it's not the exact same video in both 6FM online locations, but all reasonable people know better.

Oh, are they exactly the same? Even file sizes? You probably know your way around YT better than me :) My YT copy was smaller, so I went with the other one without thinking too much about it.

1 hour ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Oh, are they exactly the same? Even file sizes? You probably know your way around YT better than me :) My YT copy was smaller, so I went with the other one without thinking too much about it.

I just checked on that by downloading the one at jfk.org. And you're right. The video at jfk.org is a much bigger file (due to the processing methods, I would assume). It's 101 MB in size. The YouTube version is only 22 MB. And the jfk.org version shows that it's got a Total Bitrate of 19,409 kbps, vs. 4,000+ for the YouTube version.

A downloadable version of the Darnell file that's on the jfk.org website can be accessed HERE.

Edited by David Von Pein

58 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

You're wrong.

I don't think so, David.

Darnell-Film-From-Sixth-Floor-Museum-Vid

That can easily pass as a man's collar open down the front.

Surely you can find a better example than that... if there are any. (Which there aren't.) There are several in Mark Ulrik's video, after all.

Sandy,

I've been studying both "versions" of the film tonight, and I think I captured the best and clearest video frame of "Prayer Man" that there is in the YouTube version.

And, IMO, the reason that the "scoop neckline" isn't quite as defined and clear in that YouTube version is simply due to the fact that THIS JFK.ORG VERSION which was utilized by Mark Ulrik does, indeed, seem to exhibit slightly better picture quality.

Therefore, via the higher quality and the incredibly high bitrate used in the processing of the video (19,409 kbps, which I think is, by far, the highest bitrate I've ever seen for one of my downloaded videos), it stands to reason that some things in the video will be clearer and easier to see and define.....such as the "neck ring" on Prayer (Wo)Man.

Plus -- Via your theory, Sandy, of one of the versions being altered, can you explain why the Sixth Floor Museum would have wanted to upload an unaltered version to YouTube but also at about the same time put an altered version on their own website? Does that make any sense to you? Both videos were obviously uploaded by the 6FM people for use at online locations that they themselves controlled.

Doesn't my simple explanation from six days ago in this thread make a whole lot more sense than your "altered image" theory? I sure think it does....

On 9/13/2024 at 6:27 PM, David Von Pein said:

There's absolutely nothing that is "very different" in this Darnell film clip when compared to previously published versions of the same images.

It's just that the newer version posted by Mark Ulrik is a higher-quality and more stabilized version.

Edited by David Von Pein

6 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

A downloadable version of the Darnell file that's on the jfk.org website can be accessed HERE.

Sharp. But there are approx. 10 to 20 seconds of the film missing. Darnell is filming behind the cop on the south side (sec 19 in of video ... and all of a sudden there is a CUT). Altgens appears. And then another CUT at 27sec. 

All Dealy plaza films are cut like Darnell. (F. example: Missing limo left turn of Zappi film)

Same old play.

Edited by Karl Kinaski

BTW: The Darnell film Van Pein provided a link to  probably is made out of two films: The Press bus is passing by two times filmed from different locations.  

Edited by Karl Kinaski

3 hours ago, Karl Kinaski said:

BTW: The Darnell film Van Pein provided a link to  is made out of two films: The Press bus is passing by two times filmed from different locations. So much for the credibility of the 6th floor Mausoleum. :clapping

There were three of those Continental Trailways buses in the motorcade, so maybe it's your own credibility you should worry about.

@Mark Ulrik 

... you are right. It could be two different busses. Or the same ... and the cuts in the Darnell film remain ... the Darnell film is cut and edited heavily ... 

Edited by Karl Kinaski