The Education Forum

What is it?

John Dolva

A curiosity?

I've gone as far as I can on this one.

On a frame in the dorman film appears this image on the structure on the opposite side of elm street where the pond is on the left here and the limousine is now somewhere around there.

Some suggestions I can come up with are:

a blemish or whatever such things are called.

a lens on a camera or a scope projecting the image of the scene behind the lens or scope.

This image has an oval outline as if its projected obliquely onto the 'pillar'. The pillar is in dark shade and if it's an image projected onto it then the 'person' that it seems to be would be facing into the sun. For a split second here it doesn't seem impossible to me that that is what it is.

Has anyone got access to the original film and could check this please?

A curiosity?

I've gone as far as I can on this one.

On a frame in the dorman film appears this image on the structure on the opposite side of elm street where the pond is on the left here and the limousine is now somewhere around there.

Some suggestions I can come up with are:

a blemish or whatever such things are called.

a lens on a camera or a scope projecting the image of the scene behind the lens or scope.

This image has an oval outline as if its projected obliquely onto the 'pillar'. The pillar is in dark shade and if it's an image projected onto it then the 'person' that it seems to be would be facing into the sun. For a split second here it doesn't seem impossible to me that that is what it is.

Has anyone got access to the original film and could check this please?

Gary has kindly informed me that this is a blemish:

John,

The camera original Dorman film was donated to The Sixth Floor Museum many years ago and I personally supervised the tape transfer. The Museum's tape, which appears in several tv specials, is far superior to Groden's version.

The artifact is an air bubble, trapped on the original film under one of several transparent tape repairs made to it in 1978. When the HSCA borrowed the film, it was found to be in poor condition and with several torn frames and sprocket holes. That's a very common anomaly whenever tapes are used for repair.

Gary Mack

John,

It's still the area below the blotch that interests me.  FWIW.  Slightly enhanced crop from z202.

- lee

Is this the area? ( image analyzer-image mapper-zero point )

Edited by John Dolva

John,

May be nothing. I saw it first when I viewed the 'AB Smith' version of the z-film, and when I was reviewing Warren Report frames.

For the purpose of study - the corner seems to be the most interesting. Anyway, here's that same frame I had posted, with some of the background blacked out.

I tried mightily to get more images of this area that day and failed. I still hope that I might be able to find something - even if it was taken the following day - or that one day perhaps I might have occasion to ask Rosemary Willis.

- lee

John,

May be nothing.  I saw it first when I viewed the 'AB Smith' version of the z-film, and when I was reviewing Warren Report frames. 

For the purpose of study - the corner seems to be the most interesting.  Anyway, here's that same frame I had posted, with some of the background blacked out.

I tried mightily to get more images of this area that day and failed.  I still hope that I might be able to find something - even if it was taken the following day - or that one day perhaps I might have occasion to ask Rosemary Willis.

- lee

As in, maybe it's best to look one at a time and start with the easiest. It's the corner that first drew my attention - the others can wait.

- lee

very interestin, Lee. You sure got a good eye.

Here's a contact sheet of attempt at rotgating and relocatin corner crops. a gif?

I'll check out other pics.

As aside I came across a statement by Abraham that indicated bushes were pruned as he commented on things looking different on pics he was shown compared to his memories.

edit:: image sequence .. bottom right to top left

Edited by John Dolva

very interestin, Lee. You sure got a good eye.

Here's a contact sheet of attempt at rotgating and relocatin corner crops. a gif?

I'll check out other pics.

As aside I came across a statement by Abraham that indicated bushes were pruned as he commented on things looking different on pics he was shown compared to his memories.

edit:: image sequence .. bottom right to top left

Very nice John!

I theoretically ruled this individual out as a shooter - but who knows? Just doesn't seem to match up with any known trajectory, based upon wounds or curb strikes, etc. I still think that this guy may have had a camera - but another possible is a radio coordinator, or signalman I guess. Maybe one day one of the unpublished films will be made available, and we'll know for sure what these guys were doing. Also I'd like to know if he is one of the guys seen shortly after in some of the aftermath footage.

Look at him here - I guess we should label him, since it's a bit confusing as to how many there are here - 'Cornerman.' I believe I owe credit to Robin for these frames. BTW - I took shots in Dealey Plaza of this position, and also from this position. It's a nice view. I didn't think to see if you could be seen in this location from all of the various possible window positions in the TSBD - however, seeing photos taken from the 6th East window - that's a certainty.

- lee

Thanks Robin!

If the guy in the corner is filming, which I think he is, then it would appear he is focused on the knoll retaining wall. If my theory is correct - then every acpect of the assassination was recorded - not simply the motorcade. That would include TSBD windows, the retaining wall, the North Pergola area, the DalTex, and ?

Here's a gif I made of some shots I took from the corner, in the bushes. It's a nice view, if nothing else.

- lee

Thanks Robin!

If the guy in the corner is filming, which I think he is, then it would appear he is focused on the knoll retaining wall.  If my theory is correct - then every acpect of the assassination was recorded - not simply the motorcade.  That would include TSBD windows, the retaining wall, the North Pergola area, the DalTex, and ?

Here's a gif I made of some shots I took from the corner, in the bushes.  It's a nice view, if nothing else.

- lee

The guy in the corner (GIC?) seems to first start major move in frame 191 which I think I've read some pinpointing the first shot? he has completed the move maybe 5-6 frames later and seems to roughly hold this pose for the rest of the time visible.