The Education Forum

Presidential Limousine

James Richards

This is probably a dumb question (my forte), but was there more than one limo like the one JFK was assassinated in?

I ask as in this image below of Secret Service Chief Urbanus Baughman, he is posing in front of what seems like the Presidential Limo but the licence tag is not the familiar 'GG 300'.

Was swapping license tags something that was commonly done or was there multiples of this vehicle?

Cheers,

James

This is probably a dumb question (my forte), but was there more than one limo like the one JFK was assassinated in?

I ask as in this image below of Secret Service Chief Urbanus Baughman, he is posing in front of what seems like the Presidential Limo but the licence tag is not the familiar 'GG 300'.

Was swapping license tags something that was commonly done or was there multiples of this vehicle?

Good question James. And good find with this photo. It looks like one of those taken at the time of delivery to the White House, June 15, 1961. That does look like SS-100-X (GG300) but it may not have gone through processing yet at the White House Garage. It is bearing a Michigan plate, which would be logical in that it was originally built at FMC Experimental Garage at Dearborn, MI and then sent to Hess & Eisenhardt in Ohio for customizing.

QUOTE:

1961 to document the delivery of the new Lincoln Presidential limousine.

Notice the Ford employee demonstrating the integral running board. Two

on each side, front and rear. These were designed to allow Secret

Service agents to ride on the limousine during motorcades, but in fact

were not used and were removed later because of safety concerns.

KN-C18065.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger